Texas Property Tax Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
    kinda like paying school taxes for 50 years with no kids ?
    Yeah, that's absurd.

Comment

lol. Kinda got you by the short and curlies there, Aaron.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        How about you plan fully for your retirement, and not rely on us working folks to carry your wanna-be free-loading ass.
        Eat a whole dick. Keep paying through the roof and enjoy it.

I'll pay well over double in property taxes than what I paid for my house by the time I'm in the ground. I know several people nearing retirement age that are moving out of Texas because they don't want to pay the ridiculous property taxes after they retire.

I'll retire with plenty of cowskin rugs, having never taken a penny of welfare in my life. That doesn't mean I want to continue giving it back to Uncle Sam just for living in my house.

Comment

I'm ok with this as it will hopefully raise the average IQ of all the shit people around me.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
            I'm ok with this as it will hopefully raise the average IQ of all the shit people around me.
            We're talking about public schools here so I would recommend not holding your breath.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              Texas has Ag exemptions, and the qualifying factors vary by County. For instance, Grayson County you must have 10+ acres AFTER the house is carved out (1 acre). Collin County, I think the minimum is 5 acres.

But that doesn't solve the problem. Say you have a $400,000 house on 11 acres. Your ag exemption only applies to the remaining 10 acres, there is zero tax benefit on the house and the 1 acre it's attached to. So you get a break on the land, but what they will do is, increase your value on the home and not the land. If you're homesteaded, you can plan on 10% max every single year. If you're not, they'll bend you over harder. The govt will ALWAYS find a way to get their taste.
              I’m going through this right now. We bought a house that was in ag and had an over 65 exemption on it. We’ve been here a year - they pulled it out of ag and raised taxes from $4800 to $10k in a years time (2 tax years). We started the appeal process and then decided to hire a cpa to fight them. So far we got the appraised value dropped from 520k to 425k which is what we paid for it.

Just a few tips for ppl based on my experience:
              -have your or any realtor write you a letter either for ag or with comps for an appeal. If for ag have them state everyone else around you is in ag.
              -go down to the local usda and have them write you a letter for the ag exemption. The one in Ellis county is great. They are certainly a gov’t organization that will help you not get boned by the gov’t.

Property taxes are completely out of hand.

Comment

We had 1 property go up 95k this year in tax appraisal. Added another $1800 in taxes i think. I fought the appraisal for my grandma back in 2016 on this place because the house is junk but she won't have it bulldozed. She had me have the roof repaired this year and painted the exterior, cost about 18 grand and the appraised value went from 61k to 154. It's 10 acres, they added 40k to the property value and 55k to the improvements.

Comment

Sherman reappraised all the properties a few years ago and they've been screwing us with the 10% increase each year until it meets the appraised value. Further, idiots voted for a school bond, adding to the property taxes. If that wasn't enough, just the threat of the state limiting entities to 2.5% year over year already has the city in panic to raise taxes some more before the state passes any legislation.

Personally, drop the property tax, put sales tax on every thing and bump it up a few percent. The less I spend, the more I save. And, at least I can own my land instead of paying rent to the government in perpetuity.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
                    I’m going through this right now. We bought a house that was in ag and had an over 65 exemption on it. We’ve been here a year - they pulled it out of ag and raised taxes from $4800 to $10k in a years time (2 tax years). .
                    Did they charge you the 5 year roll back when they pulled it out of AG. Collin County tried to pull one of mine out of Ag last year, we fought and won thankfully. Sold the property last July. I'm sure new owner is getting his ass handed to him right now.

Comment

I just find it amusing that the schools STILL don't have enough money. It is almost like they never will.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                        Did they charge you the 5 year roll back when they pulled it out of AG. Collin County tried to pull one of mine out of Ag last year, we fought and won thankfully. Sold the property last July. I'm sure new owner is getting his ass handed to him right now.
                        No they didn’t pull that. But I read that they could. I think I messed up by going down there to file for ag when I bought it.

How’d you win the fight?

Comment

I can't remember exactly what the gist was but the state is trying to take the tax money VS the cities. Somewhere down the road they quit contributing to education like they use to and now they want to control all of the money. The schools are fucking killing everyone right now. I mean I get hit with the automatic 10 every year but they are flat jumping school taxes with the bonds from hell. Hachie got a huge bond and then turned around and tried to hit us with another one for a natatorium. I mean for fucks sake since when did we need to build a baby white house for education? A nice barndominium would be just fine. We basically just did this and got a new PD for cheap. We are super excited to be out of the 1940, flooding, moldy ass building and into something new. Hachie probably spent 20 times what we did on their new building and for what?. My city just started talking about rolling back taxes for the retired folk and locking them in. When I retire I am moving to a state with no property taxes for sure. What a beating, my shit has more than doubled in seven years.

I can't figure out why they need to raise anything when they add 4000 houses to the tax rolls. Leave my house alone until the next guy buys the house then get with the current market pricing and taxes.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Add me to the no kids 10k tax rate yearly problem

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                              I can't figure out why they need to raise anything when they add 4000 houses to the tax rolls.
                              Because every single time they have extra money they figure out a way to waste it.
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                                I can't remember exactly what the gist was but the state is trying to take the tax money VS the cities. Somewhere down the road they quit contributing to education like they use to and now they want to control all of the money.....
                                That's what happens when local govt gets way too damn greedy and doesnt check their tax problem. Theres no way I'm getting twice as much value out of the taxing entities as I used to and costs surely havent doubled.

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                                Because every single time they have extra money they figure out a way to waste it.
                                Exactly this. Its fucking waste...no way have costs increased at the rate of tax growth.

Comment

Working...
                                X