Help me paint my junk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me paint my junk

So I am trying my hand at this painting thing, I have already learned quite a bit but I am trying to figure out the rule of thumb on sanding/wetsanding. I am painting a hood.

First I hit it with a DA, existing paint, 400grit, until everything was nice and smooth, I then laid on 3 coats of black, looked like total shit, hit the black with the DA, 400 git, then 1000, 1500, 2000, rubbing compound, polish, looks pretty damn good at this point. Could I just have done 400,1000 then 2000? Also, what does the clear coat buy me, it appears it buys durability because the non cleared paint scratches up very easily, I am guessing if I put on a few coats of clear and then did the same sanding process it would be more durable.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

what paint did you use?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

What DJ said and you will need to prep out to atleast 800 before base coat. Sealer is a good idea too. If it is BC CC you have to use clear.

Comment

Only the best

This is for my race car, so I need to be able to make frequent touch ups (fenders, bumpers, etc). I have been rattle canning this with the stock color, twilight blue, and it's been good enough, but black appears to be a mofo.
        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Finish with wet 600 before you paint. Use base/clear and color sand with 1000 then 2000 and buff. If I have something pretty slick I will start with 1500 then 2k. If it's solid black you can paint it with single stage urethane. Prep the same and buff the same. Either one can look like glass and be very durable.

Comment

tyler if you want to just pick up a pint of whatever paint you want I can bring my sata hvlp gun and shoot it for you, or you can shoot it yourself.

The problem with rattle cans is banding and the clear is usually not UV resistant. Looks great at first, then in a few weeks total garbage.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
            X