Upgrading the fileserver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abecx View Post
    I had to go look that up, I had no idea they had 4TB ssd's now.
    For a couple years now.
    WH

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      That's running your PLEX?
      Right now its not, it will be though yes. Right now I am using 6x 4TB drives on a i4790k with 16gb of ram. I'm going to convert that to my virtual reality computer for my htc vive since Jackie started playing Diablo 3 again and thats what I used for my VR setup before.

I have a virtual server I am going to bring home soon, its a Dell R610 that i've owned for a while now. Its quiet beefy, 12 CPU Cores ( 24 threads ), 96GB ram, 6x 250GB ssds. It will be what i use to run plex and all my other tools, and this storage server will be used for my SAN. It is a bit overkill, but this hardware wasnt being used so why not.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      Im about to the end of my NAS at home. Its a synology 5 bay. Not sure what Im going to do after this gets closer to filled. Synology is expensive but its easy. Im no linux pro like you are.

Any suggestions?
      Yes, I would switch to a desktop machine or something similar and use linux. mdadm will accept non-raid drives ( like green drives ) and work wonderful. Its cheap and free. You could also use something like FreeNAS which will do all the leg work for you ( or nas4free ). Will def cut costs because those Synology platforms are quite expensive.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
      For a couple years now.
      The 4TB SSD's from Samsung arent even a year old from what I saw, I knew they had 1TB but 4TB... Still blown away by that lol ( albeit its like $1500 )

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        Im about to the end of my NAS at home. Its a synology 5 bay. Not sure what Im going to do after this gets closer to filled. Synology is expensive but its easy. Im no linux pro like you are.

Any suggestions?
        I'm using a rackmount 4u Norco Case that has 20 3.5inch hot swap bays. board/cpu is supermicro matx with an x3430 Xeon, 32gb ECC ram. OS is on 2 x 120gb SSD (raid 1) running Windows Server 2012 with storage essentials role installed. Storage is managed by a pair of IBM Serveraid M1015 flashed to IT mode. Then you can mix and match drives. For redundancy using StableBit drive pool software and it duplicates based on settings for folders etc. Then the storage essentials client is on all the home windows pc's and handles the automated backups.

Nothing near as fancy as Abecx but it was cheap and gets the job done.
        2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
        1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Working...
        X