Texafornia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texafornia

Not that you needed an article to state the obvious, but here it is quantified.

Latest census data shows Californians continue to flock to Texas
    Texas continues to be the most popular destination for Californians choosing to live in another state.

Author: Mark Calvey, San Francisco Business Chronicle
    Published: 2:30 PM CST November 9, 2019
    Updated: 2:30 PM CST November 9, 2019

DALLAS — No one’s posting billboards urging the last Bay Area resident leaving the state to turn out the lights, at least not yet. But the latest census data supports growing anecdotal evidence that an exodus is gaining momentum as more California residents vote with their feet and head to Texas and other states.

California lost an estimated 190,000 residents in 2018, a 38 percent increase from a year earlier, according to the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, which finds that foreign immigration of about 284,000 people into California offset the loss of California residents in 2018.

Texas continues to be the most popular destination for Californians choosing to live in another state, with 86,200 Golden State residents moving there in 2018, according to the American Community Survey data released Oct. 31.

The latest census data show 691,145 Californians moved to other states in 2018, marking the largest loss nationally — up 4.6 percent from 2017 and the seventh consecutive annual increase. Changes in 2018 federal tax law limiting the deduction for state and local taxes paid was expected to spur more California residents to move to states with low or no state income tax.

RELATED: Here’s how much home $300K will buy you in Texas and beyond

To put California’s population loss in perspective, The Orange County Register notes that the number of Californians leaving the Golden State is just 1.8 percent of the state’s population. Only two states — Michigan and Texas — have lower departure rates.

For Americans choosing to move to California, residents from Washington state were at the top of the list, with 38,000 coming to the Golden State. Texas was a close second, with 37,800 residents moving to California in 2018.

The state-to-state migration patterns are closely followed, since they signal which areas are likely to gain more congressional representatives and political clout in Washington, based on the 2020 Census.

Another census report released earlier this year paints an even bleaker picture: The report, featuring a smaller margin of error than the American Community Survey and covering the 12 months ended July 1, 2018, shows that California lost 38,000 residents in that period even after accounting for international immigration. That marked the first time in years that this data shows international immigration didn’t more than make up for Californians leaving the state.

Census data showing migration patterns by region, such as the Bay Area, are expected to be released in December.

Anecdotal evidence suggests out-migration is spurring an exodus from the Bay Area, which has seen the headquarters of several startups and two Fortune 500 companies leave this year. Fortune 500 No. 7, McKesson Corp. (NYSE: MCK) and fellow Fortune 500 Core-Mark Holding Co. (NASDAQ: CORE) both headed to the Dallas-Fort Worth area. After this year's annual meeting, Charles Schwab (NYSE: SCHW) founder Chuck Schwab said his company's headquarters could one day leave San Francisco.

Some observers see a sorting-out process occurring with those seen as more liberal, highly educated and earning higher salaries coming to California and those who are more conservative exiting the Golden State. A report in Monday’s Los Angeles Times titled, “California conservatives leaving the state for ‘redder pastures’” featured a Modesto couple moving to suburban Dallas.

But talk at Bay Area business lunches and cocktail parties suggests more than politics is at play. Key players in the Bay Area’s business community point to the state’s top personal income tax rate of 13.3 percent, with no lower tax on capital gains, as one key concern. Plus there’s the high housing costs and growing traffic congestion that have some pondering life in other states.

“I frequently hear about investors and entrepreneurs who are leaving California for states that have friendlier tax policies. But who can blame them? They’ve worked hard and taken significant bets over many years and now they need to protect their gains,” said Ryan Gilbert, a serial entrepreneur-turned-venture-capitalist at Propel Venture Partners. “California should adopt incentives that mirror the federal incentives to keep these entrepreneurs and investors in the state.”

But for now, it appears California might be heading in the opposite direction. One measure seeking signatures for a spot on California’s November 2020 ballot would raise the top individual income tax rate to 16.3 percent.

For a look at the companies leaving the Bay Area, click here.

Interesting to see that those moving to CA are also coming from Texas as the #2 place of departure, we may be doing our part to bring some red values back to Sacramento next year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

They are here the traffic is rediculous. Been driving 15 yrs and it’s a lot worse the last 2 years. Only gonna get worse. About ready to head to the coast can’t stand libtard idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
        They are here the traffic is rediculous. Been driving 15 yrs and it’s a lot worse the last 2 years. Only gonna get worse. About ready to head to the coast can’t stand libtard idiots
        The dumb, no driving mother fucker ratio has definitely tipped. Every day I question why I live here. Hot as balls in the summer, cold and rainy in the winter, too much traffic, too much property tax, too much sales tax, and the texan culture is all but extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          The dumb, no driving mother fucker ratio has definitely tipped. Every day I question why I live here. Hot as balls in the summer, cold and rainy in the winter, too much traffic, too much property tax, too much sales tax, and the texan culture is all but extinct.
          Clark County WA is gorgeous.

Comment

That close to portland? No thanks

Comment

the texan culture is all but extinct.
              Cause you live in the garbage urban areas. They've always been pretty shit. Get out into the smaller town texas. That's the real texas. Not that city crap
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                Clark County WA is gorgeous.
                Would love to move up there, trying to convince the family, that's a different story.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                Cause you live in the garbage urban areas. They've always been pretty shit. Get out into the smaller town texas. That's the real texas. Not that city crap

I live in the country and do my level best to stay the fuck out of the city, yet the city keeps creeping out further and further.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                  That close to portland? No thanks
                  There's a whole river between us and it's actually a fairly conservative pocket.

Clark County is a swing county in U.S. presidential elections that recently has voted slightly more Republican than the state and nation as a whole. For example, while President Obama carried Clark County by a few hundred votes representing a fraction of a percent, he ran behind his national showing of a 3% margin. George W. Bush carried the county twice, by 52% to 47% over John Kerry in 2004 and by 49% to 46% over Al Gore in 2000. Clark County usually votes for the winning presidential candidate. It voted for Ronald Reagan twice and for Bill Clinton twice. The last three presidential elections where Clark County did not vote for the national winner were 1968, when it voted for Humphrey over Nixon, and 1988, when it voted for Dukakis over Bush, as well as in 2016 when the county narrowly voted for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton over Republican nominee and winner of the election Donald Trump.
                  It's no different than any of the major counties in TX from what I can tell, but damn if it ain't beautiful.

Comment

Texas is going to turn very blue, and already national interest groups are ready to pour tons of money into the state to make it happen faster.

Comment

Speaking of national interest groups pouring money into Texas, perhaps Beto can be our next governor.

Comment

Lets deport em all and keep em out
                        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          Last time I went back, that was all but dead too. None of the Texas I grew up in exists any longer.

Comment

I live in the country and do my level best to stay the fuck out of the city, yet the city keeps creeping out further and further.
                            I mean you gotta get out there. To those towns that the city will never come to. We'll experience major population decline and societal shift before the city ever makes it that far out. Off the top of my head: Morgan Texas. Whitney. Places like that. Those are down past my neck of the woods but I have friends that live there and I go see them from time to time. It's still small town texas.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                            Last time I went back, that was all but dead too. None of the Texas I grew up in exists any longer.
                            If you could, please elaborate on what it is specifically. For me it's churches, beer parties at the lake, chili cookoffs, home made bbq get togethers, car shows, live bands... etc etc. That's just kind of what I grew up with. All still there, even if I don't really choose to participate in it anymore.
                            WH

Comment

Texas is beyond fucked. People don't even realize how bad. Our successes will be our death. See yall in Oklahoma!

Comment

Working...
                              X