Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake lights fuse and turn signal keeps popping On 84 Chevy C10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lights fuse and turn signal keeps popping On 84 Chevy C10?

Yeah, im having a lil issue with the brake light fuse. It always seems to pop randomly, yet i can stick a fuse in there and ill have brake lights. IT usually pops when idk about it and someone on the road tells me i dont have brake lights. :/

Whats the cause of this, and how big of a fuse does that slot need?? I checked for a short under the bed where those wires are and i cant find anything..

i do have another question. I was going trough all the lights making sure i had brake, turn signals, etc. I noticed that the fuse for the turn signal was getting kinda warm. That suppose to happen?

Also, Could i get a diagram for the fuse box? ITs an 84 Chevy C10. Motor is a 307 and tranny is a Turbo 350. All i need to know is how big of a fuse to put in each slot.

Thanks chance
    GOPR0198 by larrychance88

trailer light plug?
    http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Put in a circuit breaker type fuse in. That will help you in running down the problem.
      Intermittent electrical SUCKS.

Comment

Originally posted by BttleFedC10 View Post
        Yeah, im having a lil issue with the brake light fuse. It always seems to pop randomly, yet i can stick a fuse in there and ill have brake lights. IT usually pops when idk about it and someone on the road tells me i dont have brake lights. :/

Whats the cause of this, and how big of a fuse does that slot need?? I checked for a short under the bed where those wires are and i cant find anything..

i do have another question. I was going trough all the lights making sure i had brake, turn signals, etc. I noticed that the fuse for the turn signal was getting kinda warm. That suppose to happen?

Also, Could i get a diagram for the fuse box? ITs an 84 Chevy C10. Motor is a 307 and tranny is a Turbo 350. All i need to know is how big of a fuse to put in each slot.

Thanks chance

It takes some work but isnt too bad to diagnose this stuff, especially on an old truck. I would get some of the fuses that light up when popped and use some spade connectors and wire to put it up by the dash so you could see it (or a small 12v high resistance bulb, one end wired to each spade of the fuse). When the short is present it will light up, when the circuit is working normally it wont light up as it will pass though the fuse.

As for size I cannot say but a 15a ought to be plenty depending on how many bulbs you have on the circuits.

You can always stick a 30a one in to try and let the smoke out of where ever it is screwed up, but you might melt a bit of wire.

Comment

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
          trailer light plug?
          ITs got a new trailer light plug in it. What are you suggesting?

Comment

Originally posted by Skidonenko View Post
            It takes some work but isnt too bad to diagnose this stuff, especially on an old truck. I would get some of the fuses that light up when popped and use some spade connectors and wire to put it up by the dash so you could see it (or a small 12v high resistance bulb, one end wired to each spade of the fuse). When the short is present it will light up, when the circuit is working normally it wont light up as it will pass though the fuse.
            So that will only solve when it blows. lol. I gotta figure out why its blowing. Id rather not risk melting a wire. ha

Comment

So that will only solve when it blows. lol. I gotta figure out why its blowing. Id rather not risk melting a wire. ha
              The when may lead to the how. You can also find all the splices and install smaller fuses on each leg and see which one blows. Either that or go over ever inch of wire, check all the sockets, if still nothing overlay all the wire on that circuit.

Comment

Install a new stereo anytime before this started happening?

The reason I ask is that sometimes on some of the older harnesses the dimmer wire looks suspiciously like a ground wire. I had a dodge that would blow the brake lights when I turned the lights on and that was it.
                Last edited by kingjason; 08-23-2011, 04:29 PM.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Yes, i just recently installed one, but i used the wires from the previous cd player. Didn't use any other ones. Brakes lights were always working at that time..

Comment

ITs got a new trailer light plug in it. What are you suggesting?
                    i am suggesting that a lot times the plug will short out, and cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
                      i am suggesting that a lot times the plug will short out, and cause problems.
                      Well its brand new, and hasnt been used yet. lol

Comment

Well its brand new, and hasnt been used yet. lol
                        do you have a continuity tester? you should only have one ground in that plug, so take the tester, ground it, and check to see if you have multiple contacts that have grounds.

Comment

Well i have a test light that has a alligator clip on the end of it. Think thats what your talking about. But i just took the trailer plug out. Because it was tied into the plug for the taillights.

Comment

Working...
                          X