Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• It took some pretty brave cameramen to take a lot of these pictures!

Great post!
        Mustangs previously owned:
        1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
        1992 LX AOD
        1993 LX Drag Car
        1995 GTS
        1997 Cobra
        2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
        Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
        2016 Honda Accord Touring
        2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

• Great pics, Strychnine!

RIP to those pour souls caught on film prior to meeting eternity.
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

• Thought you boys would appreciate a great story

SR-71 Blackbird Pilot Trolls Arrogant Fighter Pilot

This may be the single greatest aviation story ever told, it’s about the iconic SR-71 Blackbird whose full operating specs are still classified to this day. The story, from the now out-of-print book Sled Driver by former SR-71 jockey Brian Shul (available used on Amazon for just $700). Here’s the ultimate aviation troll:

Comment

• I love this shot.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Wrecked more being hauled away.

Comment

• Painting, but you get the idea.

Battle of Lima Site 85

tl:dr: Biplane(s) shot down with an Ak-47 from a Huey.

On 12 January 1968, four North Vietnamese Air Force AN-2 Colt biplanes lifted off from an airfield in northeastern North Vietnam and headed west toward Laos. The aircraft were on a mission to destroy a US radar base that was guiding bombers in attacks against targets in North Vietnam. Known to the Americans as Site 85, the radar facility was perched atop a 5,800-foothigh mountain, Phou Pha Thi. Manned by US Air Force volunteers “sheepdipped” as employees of the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation, the site had been in operation only a few months. The mountain, used for many years as a staging base for CIA-directed Hmong guerilla fighters and American special operations and rescue helicopters, was only 125 nautical miles from Hanoi. Air America, a CIA-proprietary, provided aerial support for the facility, the technicians, and the security forces.

The Colts reached Site 85 early in the afternoon, and two began bombing and strafing passes as the others circled nearby. Coincidentally, Air America captain Ted Moore, flying a UH-1D Huey helicopter carrying ammunition to the site, saw the attack (“It looked like World War I,” he recalled.) and gave chase to a Colt as it turned back to the Vietnamese border. Moore positioned his helicopter above the biplane, as crewman Glenn Woods fired an AK-47 rifle down on it. The pursuit continued for more than 20 minutes until the second AN-2 flew underneath the helicopter. Dropping back, Moore and Woods watched as the first AN-2 dropped and crashed into a ridge just west of the North Vietnamese border. Minutes later, the second Colt hit the side of a mountain three miles farther north. The other Colts escaped, inactive observers throughout. Within hours a CIA-controlled ground team reached the crashed aircraft and found bullet holes in the downed planes.

In the mists of the Annamite Mountains and part of a secret war, Air America employees Ted Moore and Glenn Woods gained the distinction of having shot down a fixed-wing aircraft from a helicopter, a singular aerial victory in the Vietnam War. Two months later, North Vietnamese commandos attacked and destroyed Site 85, inflicting the deadliest single ground loss of US Air Force personnel of the Vietnam War.

On 27 July 2007, CIA officially received An Air Combat First in an event attended by members of the Air America Board; pilot Ted Moore; Sawang Reed, the wife of flight mechanic Glenn Woods; CIA paramilitary legend Bill Lair; and the donors of the painting, former Air America officers Marius Burke and Boyd D. Mesecher.

Comment

• that is fucking awesome. Mind blown.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• ^^^ That story still gets me. Those were some badasses.

Some other badasses...

http://vnafmamn.com/Skyraider_vs_MIG17.html

...There was no doubt we were under attack by MiGs. This was confirmed when a silver MiG-17 with red marking on wings and tail streaked by Charlie and me heading for Ed. Tracers from behind and a jet intake growing larger in my mirror were a signal to start pulling and turning. As I put g's on the Skyraider I could see the two distinct sizes of tracers falling away (The MiG-17 had two 23mm and one 37mm cannon in the nose.) He stayed with us throughout the turn firing all the way. Fortunately, he was unable to stay inside our turn and overshot.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

• Wow! I never knew about either incidents! Way cool!
                            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

• Hi guys. I haven't posted here in a while.... But I am alive... I went to one of the world's biggest airshows and my boss is part of the flying society. I got to meet some of the USAF Thunderbird team and talk shit about the Blue Angels 🤣. Anywho, here are some pics if team leader Jason and mechanical leader Bob. Also they gave us a gift in Fairfield.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
                              First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

• Another installment of name that plane....

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X