No announcement yet.

Insurance/Accident Advice - Lawyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn how to park. I don't understand why people think they have to back in, are you robbing a bank?

Comment

Insurance is a scam. Not that it can be proven, but did you signal, and were you in reverse or moving forward at impact. If it was obvious you were going to park and she plowed into you, then I say her fault. The fact that you abandoned the lane and came back is an issue.

I'm not one of those guys that says don't back in, but if you're going to do it, you shouldn't swerve across the other lane and back like that to make it easier. That will prevent it all together.

Comment

I always back in first and get it over with, it’s either back in then or back out later. Interesting tidbit I’ve noticed is men tend to back into driveways and such, womenfolk not.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          Not trying to be a dick but in my opinion you were at fault.. Maybe not by traffic code (does that apply in a parking lot?), but from the way it looks in the picture and diagram I would say you abandoned your lane and gave up the right of way to her when you crossed over closer to the space, into the oncoming lane.

At that point, for all she knew you were stopping to drop someone off, or load something, but once you left your lane, I think it was up to you to ensure the lane was still clear when you reentered it. Based on where you hit her, either she was really hauling ass, or you weren't looking (maybe looking in your rear view to line up?).

IDK, again, not trying to be a dick, just an unbiased opinion for perspective.. And it really isn't worth a whole lot anyway (my opinion).
          I was wondering if the insurance would view it from the standpoint of me leaving my lane and re-entering, but keep in mind my drawing isn't to scale and I don't know if where we were at was considered a road or a parking lot. So I wasn't sure what rules would apply.

And yeah, she must have gunned it once it was clear. She hit us pretty hard and where she is sitting in the pictures is where she finally came to a stop.

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
          I have zero deductible .. been on my policy since the 80's , costs me 8 bucks extra a month
          I've had my policy at $1k because I worked overseas so much. At $8 a month, I've saved $1,500 so far. What insurance do you have? I just quoted the difference between a $1k deductible and going to $0 (collision and comprehensive) only on my F150 and my policy would go up $57 per month.

Originally posted by BradM View Post
          Learn how to park. I don't understand why people think they have to back in, are you robbing a bank?
          It isn't about learning how to park. It makes things infinitely better when pulling out of the parking spot.

Comment

Fuck you for being a backer inner. 100% your fault.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Did you at least have your blinker on indicating you were turning into a spot?

Comment

My advice. Stop backing into parking spots. It doesn't save you any time or make things any easier, as was made evident by your current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon-k View Post
                  My advice. Stop backing into parking spots. It doesn't save you any time or make things any easier, as was made evident by your current situation.
                  He is going to be grudgingly pull in normal next time, and when he goes to back out someone is going to try to shoot by and he will hit them. That will be 82 percent his fault, he will be back in here pissed and blaming you guys.

Also, all these answers is why we don't work parking lot accidents. They are like the wild wild west. As long as is his question mark was one fluid motion, her dumb ass should have waited. Any reasonable and prudent person would know he was going to back in. People are impatient assholes.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I always back in you have to do it anyways might as well get it out of the way before you go have beers or whatever! Not that I would ever do that I always drink ice tea cause Im a saint but you get the idea. Think about how much shit is going on in that spot? not much now when your backing out there are cars people dogs cats people with wheelchairs who the fuck knows! Its safer to back in so that's the idea and its actually a pretty good one.

Comment

How I roll:

You just have to back out very slowly. Like so slow you're hardly moving. If you do that, a couple of people will just breeze on by like you weren't there. But by the time your ass is starting to get out there, you'll see people who were paying zero attention to their surroundings, hitting the brakes hard. And you're good. Its the slowness. The slowness is the key.

Backing in: Half the time there is a van or something there anyway, and you can't see from 1 side. So backing in didn't even help you. By the time some idiot came zooming through there, the fact that you backed in won't do dick cause you couldn't see anyway. And of course the woman or old fart that is coming along to hit you, is coming from the blind side.
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                        I was wondering if the insurance would view it from the standpoint of me leaving my lane and re-entering, but keep in mind my drawing isn't to scale and I don't know if where we were at was considered a road or a parking lot. So I wasn't sure what rules would apply.

And yeah, she must have gunned it once it was clear. She hit us pretty hard and where she is sitting in the pictures is where she finally came to a stop.
                        I get it, and it's clearly easier to sit back and make assumptions with the benefit of hindsight. The main reason it looked to me like you 'left your lane' was because of where your truck is located. That line in the concrete by your right rear tire looks like it's the center of the 'road' there, and since your rear tire is on the left side of it, at some point your whole vehicle was. That's all. Probably not the best pic for the insurance.

And the reason I said it looks like you hit her vs. her hitting you is simply because of where her damage is. If she had hit you one would expect the damage on her car to start at her front fender. Now, I could see her damage
                        being like that if she swerved right to avoid you, then cut it back hard left to not hit the parked cars on the right, and impacted you then.

I think I would be content with paying $400. And I don't believe your rates are supposed to go up if you're less than 51% at fault (or something like that). At least that's what my old insurance told me when I had an accident and was found the same, 40% at fault.

In my accident I was in the right lane of a 3 lane road and the left two lanes were stopped for the upcoming light (I was going to turn right and my lane was clear). Just before the light was also a gas station on my right and what I couldn't see due to the stopped traffic was that they left a gap for someone to turn left into the gas station, crossing my lane. The woman apparently didn't think to look for cars coming in the right line before she pulled out. She saw me when it was too late and tried to gun it, I didn't see her until she was already in my lane and had no choice but to try and brake. I t-boned her square in her passenger side (small 4 door suv).

Although I was was going under the speed limit, they said I was going too fast for conditions, and hit me with 40%. Which really only come up I think because I was in a rental and they filed on my insurance. Then my insurance subrogated with hers, and they negotiated the 40% finding then. I didn't have to pay any deductible though.

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                        It isn't about learning how to park. It makes things infinitely better when pulling out of the parking spot.
                        I don't have a problem with people backing in, and when I had longer vehicles I did often. In tight parking lots (where the driving lanes are narrow) it's always far easier to back in than pull straight in, and the longer the vehicle the more that seems to be the case. I had a crew cab long bed F350 for a while and I couldn't nose in to a parking spot anywhere without backing up at least once.

The turning radius just isn't good enough for parking lots. Even if you're all the way over to the opposite side of the drive when you start your turn, if there are cars on both sides of the space, you will always end up in a diagonal. Then you have to back up and pull in straight anyways. Then you have to back out again when you leave. backing into spots was pretty much the only thing that made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                          Judging by the damage, you turned into her as she passed. Like someone said, you went into on coming traffic and abandoned your lane.
                          This is my feeling as well. She pulled a bitch move, but you bear at least some of the responsibility for not making sure you were clear for 360 degrees around your vehicle.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
                            your own insurance already has you forty percent at fault from your statement. geico is going to contact their insured and she is going to say you are at fault according to her version of the event. geico is likely going to tell usaa they want one hundred percent of their insured damages covered.

you opened a claim with usaa either way and now have a risk assessment. your rates may go up because they will likely pay something to geico after subrogation.

take your medicine and deal with the forty percent. it was a parking lot, so maybe be happy they are only making you pay the forty.
                            I read all of the comments, all this right here.

I was in the business of who's fault it was and you were in the wrong, so take the 40%.
                            Next time you are going to back into a spot, stop in your lane and put it in reverse so the morons behind can see you are backing up, you can then take three or four attempts to back in correctly without this sorta of thing happening. People are stupid and so was that bitch, I hate people that speed through parking lots or don't have the patience for someone to back up out of a space or allow someone to park.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                              You ever try parking a 94 extended cab, long bed, 3/4 ton, 4x4 Silverado in strip mall parking lot? It's damned near impossible. Hell, even my 08 crew cab 1/2 ton ram won't be straight on the first try.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              I hate people that speed through parking lots or don't have the patience for someone to back up out of a space or allow someone to park.
                              First real wreck I ever got into was in the parking lot of Academy Sports at Town East at Christmas. I had a parking spot right up by the door and it was just starting to snow. I left the spot, circled around to the exit and a guy backed over me, trying to get the spot that I just left.

In a lovely turn of events, a cop was driving by and saw the whole thing. Her first day on traffic duty.

Comment

Unless a parking lot is really wide or has angled spots, I'm backing my big ass truck in every time, and anyone who has an issue with it is a fucking moron and can eat a salty dick. It's a hell of a lot faster and safer, and requires a lot less swinging out of a "lane" to try to get in head first. In fact, for half the parking lots out there, trying to park head first is impossible without hitting someone or doing the 10-point shimmy dance like a doofus. Cars, small trucks, and SUVs are different.

That said, as for the OP, I think taking 40% of the blame seems legit. She should have been more patient, but it's up to you to check before you move. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X