I was given a Japanese Samurai Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was given a Japanese Samurai Sword

Long story short. I was given a Samurai sword last week for some work I had done on a RX7 w/ a 351w and late model rear end. A car bought from the internet. Poor build but it sticks togeather enough to let him drive a "Hot Rod". His dad has cancer, and the kid has limited skills on twistin' wrenches.

Kid has mental issues controlled with drugs. Dads real sick. Co worker ( Mom ) asked if I could help out. I have, wireing, make some braces, sway bar installed. Stuff most of us don't think too much about. Took some time and effort on my part, told me she would "make it up to me".

Get your minds out of the gutter, Guys, she knows my wife.

Last week when I left my job. I went to turn in my keys she told me she had something for me in the car. She HATES guns. Told me she didn't want this in the house anymore cause of the kid issues.

Her dad was in the Army and was in the first group of troups stationed in Japan after the WWII. She hands me this 30 inch long Samurai Sword. "This is yours for your help"

I told her I didn't want anything for the help, but she insisted that it was mine. I told her it was more than likely a fake but it was cool and thanks.

I took it to Jackson Armory to have it looked at. It's the real thing, a Major or Colonels sword. His guess worth $2500.00. He would give me $1500.00 cash now for it, put it in writeing.

The issues I have, does anyone know somewhere else to take the sword to have a 2nd opinion on it. Just want to know more about it's worth.

Do I tell her about it. I know they could use the money, but I'm not working now so I could use the cash myself. I REALLY just want to keep it, but might need the money soon.

Your thoughts.

Don't tell her and sell the thing lol. I would have no use for a samuri sword...

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
      Do I tell her about it. I know they could use the money, but I'm not working now so I could use the cash myself. I REALLY just want to keep it, but might need the money soon.

Your thoughts.
      I don't have an offer for a second opinion, but the second part is on you. In a "perfect world" you'd sell it, keep the going rate for your labor, and give them the rest. That having been said, you did the work on good faith, and she gave you the sword on good faith, so it's yours.

The standard DFWMS response would be "she gave it to you, so fugg'em."

Comment

Tough deal, given how you came about it and how she came about it I'd keep it because of the "cool story factor". I say this because a good friend of my dad died back in the mid-late 90's. He snuck in the navy at 16 for WWII, fought in the Korean War and Vietnam. He was a chief or master chief when he retired and had been a seal. Really cool dude that was finally taken from us due to cancer. Looking back, I always saw him as like an uncle, but I'm glad I never saw anyone make him angry. Anyhow, point it, I still have a metal he got from the Korean war. I had 2 at one point and have lost one somewhere along the way. My father was honored with some of his prized firearms, knives, and swords from different era's of his wartimes.

You've got a piece of history and that's always cool. I'd look at getting any paperwork that you could to help athenticate it, her fathers military info and such, and an apprasial. If times get hard use it for the money, if you can hold onto it, someone may appreciate it more later on in life.

this is my opinion on it anyway.

BTW, cool story, honorable thing helping out the family, and I hope your job situation works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
          Long story short. I was given a Samurai sword last week for some work I had done on a RX7 w/ a 351w and late model rear end. A car bought from the internet. Poor build but it sticks togeather enough to let him drive a "Hot Rod". His dad has cancer, and the kid has limited skills on twistin' wrenches.

Kid has mental issues controlled with drugs. Dads real sick. Co worker ( Mom ) asked if I could help out. I have, wireing, make some braces, sway bar installed. Stuff most of us don't think too much about. Took some time and effort on my part, told me she would "make it up to me".

Get your minds out of the gutter, Guys, she knows my wife.

Last week when I left my job. I went to turn in my keys she told me she had something for me in the car. She HATES guns. Told me she didn't want this in the house anymore cause of the kid issues.

Her dad was in the Army and was in the first group of troups stationed in Japan after the WWII. She hands me this 30 inch long Samurai Sword. "This is yours for your help"

I told her I didn't want anything for the help, but she insisted that it was mine. I told her it was more than likely a fake but it was cool and thanks.

I took it to Jackson Armory to have it looked at. It's the real thing, a Major or Colonels sword. His guess worth $2500.00. He would give me $1500.00 cash now for it, put it in writeing.

The issues I have, does anyone know somewhere else to take the sword to have a 2nd opinion on it. Just want to know more about it's worth.

Your thoughts.

A "real" one will have the family name engraved somewhere on the handle or base of the blade so that the lineage can be traced back through the craftsman and place it was made. Each one is unique by who made them, how they were made since they all have their own styles and techniques. Depending on the age and who made it, single edge, double edge, long, medium, short , art , engraving, prior owners etc will really determine the value of one. "Real" ones have been known to sell well into the deep six figure range at auction. Some are priceless that will never go to auction that have been passed down centuries through the families. This is a very basic explaination without a long history lesson you most likely don't care about. lol.

I'd like to see pictures of it if you don't mind.
          Last edited by Steve; 05-22-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

By any chance is Randy Jacksons signature on it?

Comment

pictures?????

throw it up on craigslist you'll get tons of second opinions.

Comment

Hatori honzo steel?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  A "real" one will have the family name engraved somewhere on the handle or base of the blade so that the lineage can be traced back through the craftsman and place it was made. Each one is unique by who made them, how they were made since they all have their own styles and techniques. Depending on the age and who made it, single edge, double edge, long, medium, short , art , engraving, prior owners etc will really determine the value of one. "Real" ones have been known to sell well into the deep six figure range at auction. Some are priceless that will never go to auction that have been passed down centuries through the families. This is a very basic explaination without a long history lesson you most likely don't care about. lol.

I'd like to see pictures of it if you don't mind.
                  Not all of them had that much significance, in the latter days of WW2, when Japan knew they were losing, some of the kamikaze pilots werenot even issued swords due to the precious demand of metal, those that did received low quality blades. Their was also a souvenir market for the Americans stationed in Japan after the war looking for such trophies.

I forget where I learned this but for some reason I'm thinking it was on an episode of pawn stars lol

As for the dilemma, Tell her the worth and give her credit on future repairs. DONT SELL IT with out having a museum take a look

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                    Not all of them had that much significance, in the latter days of WW2, when Japan knew they were losing, some of the kamikaze pilots werenot even issued swords due to the precious demand of metal, those that did received low quality blades. Their was also a souvenir market for the Americans stationed in Japan after the war looking for such trophies.

I forget where I learned this but for some reason I'm thinking it was on an episode of pawn stars lol

As for the dilemma, Tell her the worth and give her credit on future repairs. DONT SELL IT with out having a museum take a look
                    Very true, thats why I said "real" ones and not military issued ones. The rare find stories you will hear about were typically referring to officers who were killed carrying a family sword rather than a government issued one.

Comment

Pictures x2 and I'd keep it. At least until you find out what it's really worth and what kind of story might be behind it. Could be something worth holding onto.

Comment

wtf no pictures ?

Comment

Keep it and pass it down, you will never get another artifact like that again. I know the cash is tempting but you will kick yourself later I promise.

Comment

If Jackson Armory offered you $1500 for it, it is probably worth about $30K. lol I'd definitely have someone who knows about those swords look at it.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Dont sell it, get a professionals opinion, if it was the real deal and it was a Japanese sword made the way they used to make them, it might be worth around 30-40 grand. Im not talking out of my ass here. I would get a professional to tell you how much its worth. again, DO NOT sell it until you get a second opinion. Most of the Japs in WWII did not have swords so these are very rare.
                              First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Working...
                              X