Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just irritates me when people make a post and never respond to it

Comment

Sorry for the lack of pics, I'm a old fart and still can't get the pics onto the foram.

Open for help.

Comment

Use the button, after the last post

then scroll down and click "manage attachments"

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Or you can email them to me and I'll host them for you.

Comment

Look at the tsuba (hand guard/balance point), if it's real it'll be very ornate and will have the craftsmans "signature". Also the material its constructed out of will tell you approximately when the sword was made. If it's leather then it should be well weathered and you could be looking at something from the 13th century, not very likely and they are worth a fortune. Regular cast iron would mean it's probably a cheap one, carved Jade or Ivory who knows. Gold would be good!

Comment

Man, try not to sell that. I'd just help them out a bit in the future and keep the value to yourself. It was obviously worth very little to them - or at a minimum it is worth more to you then it was to them. To sleep well at night I'd just help out a bit more and call it the day.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                Look at the tsuba (hand guard/balance point), if it's real it'll be very ornate and will have the craftsmans "signature". Also the material its constructed out of will tell you approximately when the sword was made. If it's leather then it should be well weathered and you could be looking at something from the 13th century, not very likely and they are worth a fortune. Regular cast iron would mean it's probably a cheap one, carved Jade or Ivory who knows. Gold would be good!
                I thought authentic old school handle wrap would be shark/ray skin and braided cloth like silk, not leather.
                Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

The only honorable thing to do is to Seppuku...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Kart..

A little more info to confuse you...

There are basically 2 different types of Samurai swords that were brought back by the GI's. They were either military issue, or a family sword. The long blades were known as Katana's.

Officer/NCO swords are usually found in a metal scabbard (Saya), have a metal handle (Tsuka) and have an id number stamped on the blade just forward of the hand guard (Tsuba).

The family swords are found in either long (Katana) or medium length(wakizashi). A short dagger (Tanto) were also brought back.
                    The handle(Tsuka) are wooden, covered a sharkskin/ray skin and then wrapped in a diamond pattern with a handle cord ( Tsuka-ito). Many had a metal decoration secured by the rope called a Menuki.

Now, many family swords were carried during the war, and I've seen some where they changed out the handles and used a metal scabbard in lieu of the family hardware.

Signed Swords... The signatures were usually the man who made the blade. There were also signatures of schools that were training people to make the blades. If a blade isn't signed, that doesn't mean the blade is of poor quality, just as a signed blade doesn't mean high quality.. Seen examples both ways. My sword was made/signed by a 14 year old boy.
                    There's a small bamboo pin (Mekugi) that holds the handle on. Just gently push it out. The handle should come off with just light pressure. If it doesn't, hold the sword upright in one hand and hit at the base of the thumb with you other hand with a clenched fist. it should knock it loose.

DO NOT SAND OR GRIND ON THE HILT!!!

Use a piece of chalk to outline any writing (kanji)..

Just like any edged weapon, condition of the blade is the driving factor in what it's worth.

Do some good research and you should be able to find out what you blade is worth..

Bill

Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

There can only be one

Comment

Where are the pics of this thing?

Comment

Here the pics.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/Kart21/
                          Hope it works

Sorry for the delay.
                          Any where else do youall know to take this too ?
                          Last edited by Kart21; 05-27-2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
                            Here the pics.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/Kart21/
                            Hope it works

Sorry for the delay.
                            Any where else do youall know to take this too ?
                            No Dr. Pepper can for reference? Take it to the only logical place, Pawn Stars.

Comment

Tiles on the floor are 12.5 inches by 12.5 inches.

Between my p.o.s. computer and finding the download cable for the camera...

Hail on the truck, windshield on the wifes car, shingles off the roof.

Just been one of those weeks.

Comment

Looks nice...

'06 STS-V '86 GN

Comment

Working...
                                X