car titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car titles

interesting tidbit i thought i would pass along. i bought a 55 ford truck for the title. truck is pretty much junk but had a blue title with it. title matches the data plate but the front frame is cut off for a clip. so no frame vin .

now the good part. i went to transfer the title only to find out it had current plates and a bonded title was done in 2016 making my title that was issued in 1997 useless . the gal at dmv told me that many titles sold online or that came with an old car or truck may be useless. especially now that texas like many other states let you keep the original title when you transfer it. she said if the title is not in the sellers name or pretty current chances are you may be screwed. her advice is to run a vin check before buying. in 50 years of doing these old cars i never run into this .

Well hopefully you didn't spend too much on it...
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

no . only paid 300 for it. i managed to get maybe 150 -200 of usable parts . what really sucked was my truck felt funny when i left. found a huge bubble on my front tire. Lampasas to bluff dale at 30 mph . no spare. next morning, we found both front tires were letting go .

Comment

You could still bond it.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Yeah, shit has gotten weird with titles here. Another one is the certified copy trumps the blue title, so you can technically keep your blue, get a certified, sell the car with the blue, then get it back with the certified.

Comment

A less scrupleless person would take that original title, find the current registered, bonded title owner and go take the truck. That is why they got the Bond, isn't it?

haha

Comment

his bonded title trumps my blue title. my title was issued in 97 his in 2016.

Comment

I keep reading car titties!
                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  I keep reading car titties!
                  Great minds think alike, because I was thinking the same.

Comment

At least it wasn't tail-fins.

Comment

Isnt the whole point of a bond to insure it against any lien holders for a certain amount of time to deem the car free and clear?

Comment

it's to gain ownership . if no one contest it for 3 years you get a blue title. problem is if the car has not been registered someone can simply file for a bonded title on your vin. crooked as hell. my title was issued in 97 but had not been registered for years. now my blue title is useless thanks to the idiot who cut the frame off for a clip but did not reattach the vin.

Comment

Working...
                        X