Midweek hike - Hanging Lake, CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midweek hike - Hanging Lake, CO

Had some time to kill today. Saturday morning I plan to be watching the sunrise from the last operational fire lookout in CO - I'll put the pics in here.

1,200 ft climbing in just 1.4 miles in Glenwood Canyon.

Start on the Colorado River

Lace up and get ready for rocks

Follow Dead Horse Creek upward... and up some more.

Almost there

And finally the payoff. Hanging Lake with all of the waterfalls flowing into it.

Do it all in reverse and end back at the river.

Last edited by Strychnine; 07-15-2017, 11:45 AM.

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. Makes me wish I was someplace else right now.

Comment

fantastic man. i miss colorado nearly every single day. what a wonderland that state is.
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I've made that hike twice in my life. In my early 30's and then about 15 years later. Both times, I was struggling to make it to the top.

Comment

Bad ass, thanks for sharing. I love the tranquility CO offers...
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            Lace up and get ready for rocks

"Get ready for..."? Brother, I'm always ready for climbing/jumping around on rocks/boulders...that part is the most fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
              "Get ready for..."? Brother, I'm always ready for climbing/jumping around on rocks/boulders...that part is the most fun!
              Up was definitely great! It'll get your lungs and legs burning if you're pushing. Coming down while a light afternoon rain came through was a little less awesome lol. That shit gets slick.
              Last edited by Strychnine; 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

BTW, is BIGFOOT stalking you in the last picture at Hanging Lake in the top of the middle falls.
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  BTW, is BIGFOOT stalking you in the last picture at Hanging Lake in the top of the middle falls.
                  Probably just an earthy lesbian from Pueblo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    Probably just an earthy lesbian from Pueblo.
                    Way up there and nobody around, yeah I'd hit it...

Comment

I took the family to Glenwood at the end of May and we did that hike. I was pleasantly surprised we all handled it pretty well considering we had no time to acclimatize. It was a neat hike ... my kids loved it.
                      DamonH

Comment

Nice! I haven't done any exploring in that area, but I feel like I should someday. So much to keep us busy down here in the San Juans for now.

They're talking about shutting down access to that place because so many people disregard the signs and walk out on the tree and/or get in the water. It's a big no-no, but people are dicks and still do it, and it may ruin it for the rest.

Comment

Got up at 2am today and headed south out of Denver. Everything was great until about half way there when it started raining. From 6000 ft or so all the way to the trailhead it rained. I sat around trying to wait for it to pass and eventually just resigned myself to being wet... in 50* weather. Hit the trail not long after 5am.

It actually started to clear up pretty quick as I got some altitude

At the top is the Devil's Head Fire lookout.
                          The first lookout was built here in 1919, but the current structure was built in 1951. This is the last functional fire lookout in the Front Range.

This is the home stretch. After all the trail theres a staircase - 143 steps - to top out.

Last edited by Strychnine; 07-15-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

That's Pikes Peak out there

All things considered (brew, location, effort, etc), this might be the best beer I've ever had... at 6:15am

Comment

Kick ass views!

Comment

Working...
                              X