Add power steering in 67 coupe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
    Interesting question. I'll have to say I'm not qualified to answer that though. I have a total of about 5 minutes seat time driving a fox.

My assumption would be that the Fox would be better, simply because it's newer, and that there's still room for improvement in a Fox.

My point isn't that stock 60's steering is God's gift to engineering, but rather in good shape with good suspension mods (most importantly including the Shelby/Arning drop) and some good tires, the stock system isn't junk.

Playing devils advocate here, but I do have to say that even with a lower bushing currently out on my Bird, I can still one finger drive it with ease. Even when abusing the car. I did scare myself a little exiting Murphy drive in Bedford the other day in the rain, I got reminded what a 4 plus K car will do and not do in that situation. In all honesty if whatever you put under it is solid then it will work. FYI on the leaky garbage, it did take me 5 pumps to get a non leaking one for the power steering pump which was fun finding each time. If you go stock I recommend scavenging junk yards for OEM rebuildable parts, a lot of these new repop parts are complete garbage.

Comment

There are some cars out there that have electric power steering now. The odds might be slim, but maybe a junkyard piece could be somehow adapted.

The way I understand it, its "assist" and not full power steering. Just makes it a lot easier to operate, but you can still feel that its not super easy like regular power steering is. The wife's car has it. I've come to prefer it over regular old power steering.
      WH

Comment

I worked on those things when they were new.
        P.S. on Mustang, Mavidicks and the rest were sorry,
        with lines hanging all over the place.
        If you want to keep and drive it, spend some bucks
        and do it right!

Comment

If you don't want to hack in an electric setup and don't wanna deal with the crummy factory setups, Borgeson makes a replacement PS box. I think all you need to do is shorten the steering column a bit.

Borgeson offers modern integral power steering conversions for 1965-1970 classic Mustangs. The Borgeson conversion box is a new manufactured modern integral power steering gearbox. The Borgeson integral power steering gearbox provides true modern power steering feel, feedback and a quick 14:1 ratio. Borgeson has manufactured this box to bolt directly to the factory mounting location and to fit the stock pitman arm. The column will need to be collapsed or shortened for clearance of conversion box. (Details below)Factory power steering cars will require either manual drag link #990050 or drag link adapter #990003NOTE: 1967 Mustang owners must measure the sector shaft to see if it is 1” or 1–1/8” prior to purchase.NOTE: Power conversion box will not fit with factory Z-Bar clutch linkage.STEERING COLUMN MODIFICATIONS1965-1967 Cars will need to trim the outer column tube for clearance of the rag joint and use replacement inner column shaft #990040. Conversion box will then connect to the stock column with rag joint #0525341968-1970 Cars have a factory collapsible steering column. Gently tap on the rag joint flange with a rubber mallet to collapse the shaft in on itself for the needed clearance. Conversion box will then connect to column with half rag joint #990016.
          1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Working...
          X