What makes the bible true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
    You confuse abiogenesis and evolution. Evolution doesn't touch on how life began. Before life you had abiogenesis, once life began the age of abiogenesis ended and the age of evolution began.

Do what? Something is what it is, isn't what it is not. And can't be both or neither at the same time. So which is it, either evolution is true, or it is not.

Explain to me why you're arguing that evolution has holes in it? Science, more specifically evolution in this case make no claim to know the answer to everything. If it knew everything, it would stop. I'm merely pointing out where you're wrong in your thought processes.
    You're not pointing out I'm wrong. You have selective reading comprehension. You're arguing semantics. I said there is "evolution", but not ONLY evolution. There's way too many authors with idea's about why evolution can't explain a lot of the animal life we have. The human eye, the cardio system of the giraffe (Darwin's explanation is laughable, admitted by several scientists'), and a lot of other "oddities" in nature, cannot be explained by evolution. So they come up with the "genetic defect" crap. So anything that science doesn't cover, is a "genetic defect" or "mutation". Hell, you can use that silly excuse for anything, but for a supposed "science"? This thread was a pretty limp attempt to appear casual about this debate. It's a matter of faith either way. I have faith that a creator started this ball rolling, and you have faith that we crawled out of a genetic slime bucket. I love the "used to be a christian" dookie, too. It's a nice touch and really sets the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      You're not pointing out I'm wrong. You have selective reading comprehension. You're arguing semantics. I said there is "evolution", but not ONLY evolution. There's way too many authors with idea's about why evolution can't explain a lot of the animal life we have. The human eye, the cardio system of the giraffe (Darwin's explanation is laughable, admitted by several scientists'), and a lot of other "oddities" in nature, cannot be explained by evolution. So they come up with the "genetic defect" crap. So anything that science doesn't cover, is a "genetic defect" or "mutation". Hell, you can use that silly excuse for anything, but for a supposed "science"? This thread was a pretty limp attempt to appear casual about this debate. It's a matter of faith either way. I have faith that a creator started this ball rolling, and you have faith that we crawled out of a genetic slime bucket. I love the "used to be a christian" dookie, too. It's a nice touch and really sets the tone.
      You said there were holes in evolution. Evolution doesn't touch on how the processes work, only how they change. You should read up on the theory of evolution so you don't get misconstrued as to what exactly evolution is about. In your statements against science or evolution, you need to be more specific so the points of contention can be addressed.

Anything that science doesn't cover it says "I don't know" And immediately the religious people chime in with the "Well science doesn't know, so god done it."

How many times do I have to tell people, I place no faith in anything. I don't place faith that I
      Originally posted by Vertnut
      crawled out of a genetic slime bucket
      because life is here, provable, observable, measurable. Unlike your creator. Who, in his current definition cannot be proven, observed, or measured. Everything that exists can have those three things done to it. Since your creator cannot be proven, measured, or observed, he must not exist.

Comment

If your understanding of scientific terminology, as evidenced by the quoted post, is any indication of your intelligence, you're severely lacking. You seem to think a theory is an idea (actual: hypothesis) when in fact theories have been tested and proven.
        I know i said i was done, but i think you need to get your fats straight before telling other people they dont know shit.

see #2 as quoted from dictionary.com:
        the·o·ry
           /ˈθiəri, ˈθɪəri/ Show Spelled[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
        –noun, plural -ries.
        a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
        a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Mathematics . a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.

Hard to argue when you don't have a leg to stand on, isn't it?
        you got me good.....

Comment

You just have to accept the fact that not everybody is going to see eye to eye on religion just like other beliefs and leave it alone. If you think you're going to "open somebody's eyes" you're wrong.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
            I know i said i was done, but i think you need to get your fats straight before telling other people they dont know shit.

see #2 as quoted from dictionary.com:
            the·o·ry
               /ˈθiəri, ˈθɪəri/ Show Spelled[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
            –noun, plural -ries.
            a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
            a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Mathematics . a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.

you got me good.....
            I did get you good. I said scientific terminology, not layperson terminology. If we were talking about just random stuff, and not science, I'd agree with you, a theory is an idea. Since we're talking about science, you are wrong. http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis.../lawtheory.htm

Originally posted by Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.
            Theory

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis or group of hypotheses that have been supported with repeated testing. A theory is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it. Therefore, theories can be disproven. Basically, if evidence accumulates to support a hypothesis, then the hypothesis can become accepted as a good explanation of a phenomenon. One definition of a theory is to say it's an accepted hypothesis.

Example: It is known that on June 30, 1908 in Tunguska, Siberia, there was an explosion equivalent to the detonation of about 15 million tons of TNT. Many hypotheses have been proposed for what caused the explosion. It is theorized that the explosion was caused by a natural extraterrestrial phenomenon, and was not caused by man. Is this theory a fact? No. The event is a recorded fact. Is this this theory generally accepted to be true, based on evidence to-date? Yes. Can this theory be shown to be false and be discarded? Yes.

Comment

You said there were holes in evolution. Evolution doesn't touch on how the processes work, only how they change. You should read up on the theory of evolution so you don't get misconstrued as to what exactly evolution is about. In your statements against science or evolution, you need to be more specific so the points of contention can be addressed.

Anything that science doesn't cover it says "I don't know" And immediately the religious people chime in with the "Well science doesn't know, so god done it."

How many times do I have to tell people, I place no faith in anything. I don't place faith that I because life is here, provable, observable, measurable. Unlike your creator. Who, in his current definition cannot be proven, observed, or measured. Everything that exists can have those three things done to it. Since your creator cannot be proven, measured, or observed, he must not exist.
              I can tell you're over your head when you become patronizing. You've answered none of the questions I posed, which is safe!

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                You just have to accept the fact that not everybody is going to see eye to eye on religion just like other beliefs and leave it alone. If you think you're going to "open somebody's eyes" you're wrong.
                I totally agree. He started this thread under the guise that he needed someone to convince him about the validity of the bible. That he was once silly enough to be a "believer", but had since seen the error of his ways...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                  I can tell you're over your head when you become patronizing. You've answered none of the questions I posed, which is safe!
                  It's funny you say that. I posted this thread with a question, which STILL hasn't been answered.

I've answered all your questions to the best of my ability. When you've asked questions and not made rhetorical statements, that is. Unless I've missed a question, I've handled all of them. If I haven't responded to a question, feel free to ask again and I will respond to the best of my ability

Comment

It's funny you say that. I posted this thread with a question, which STILL hasn't been answered.

I've answered all your questions to the best of my ability. When you've asked questions and not made rhetorical statements, that is. Unless I've missed a question, I've handled all of them. If I haven't responded to a question, feel free to ask again and I will respond to the best of my ability
                    I was going to PM you, but i think this is more appropriate here. I'm sorry iv'e been an ass to you. Been a rough few days. Anyways if you're ever in town, id like to buy you a beer. Ask Yale, i'm a pretty easy going dude. I still think i'm smarter though ..... (even though math is more of my strong suit than science lol)

And don't take my apology as me agreeing with you either lol.

Comment

I was going to PM you, but i think this is more appropriate here. I'm sorry iv'e been an ass to you. Been a rough few days. Anyways if you're ever in town, id like to buy you a beer. Ask Yale, i'm a pretty easy going dude. I still think i'm smarter though ..... (even though math is more of my strong suit than science lol)

And don't take my apology as me agreeing with you either lol.
                      No hard feelings. He told me you were pretty cool. I wouldn't take your apology any other way. Hell, some of my friends are theists, and we get along great. My offer still stands to everyone else in this thread about the beer/burger&soda (except The King, that guy is a fucking moron.)

I don't know when we'll be back in town. But rest assured, there will be a party when we do.

I don't think I've come across as a dick any, but if I did I apologize. It hasn't been a rough few days, but a lot of time to myself usually makes me a bit dickish, lol.

Comment

I believe there was pretty good evidence in post #15...
                        Photobucket

Comment

No hard feelings. He told me you were pretty cool. I wouldn't take your apology any other way. Hell, some of my friends are theists, and we get along great. My offer still stands to everyone else in this thread about the beer/burger&soda (except The King, that guy is a fucking moron.)

I don't know when we'll be back in town. But rest assured, there will be a party when we do.

I don't think I've come across as a dick any, but if I did I apologize. It hasn't been a rough few days, but a lot of time to myself usually makes me a bit dickish, lol.
                          Cool. Look forward to meeting you. Yale has talked a bunch of shit about you, but i like to form my own opinions!

Comment

Cool. Look forward to meeting you. Yale has talked a bunch of shit about you, but i like to form my own opinions!
                            Don't believe a word he says, even though most of it's true....

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
                              I believe there was pretty good evidence in post #15...
                              FUCKING SERIOUSLY!? Look, you're about to journey down a huge path of circular reasoning. You're trying to use Jesus as proof the bible is true. When, to the best of my knowledge, there's no proof Jesus existed outside of the bible, let alone performed the "miracles" he did. You'd figure that if he did the things he did, someone, somewhere would write about it. Yet the only place it's found is in the bible.

Comment

don't believe a word he says, even though most of it's true....
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X