Need some high ghz cpu advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some high ghz cpu advice

I run a database server that is used primarily for analytics queries. Since sort statements are single threaded, more GHZ is preferred over more cores. Currently I am using Xeon processors that turbo to 3.8GHz, but I would like to get more performance out of the database servers. Unfortunately overclocking on the Dell's I have is not possible. I have extremely high IO throughput so feel safe from that perspective ( right now I'm using a Intel 750 1.2Tb pcie card ), and my CPU's typically have 1-3 maxed cores at any given time which would indicate a CPU bottleneck.

I would like to try overclocking my desktop CPU's, I have an i7-4790K and a i7-5820k that I can use to test with. Google searching has many results, but wondered if any of you had tried and true methods that I could go off of.

Also, what the hell is the fastest stable processor out on the market right now. I see AMD is sporting some ridiculous clock speeds, but does that really spill over into performance?

As for OCing your desktop cpu's, first thing do you have adequate cooling, if you're using the stock heat sink and fan, it's not gonna be enough for the extra heat. If you do, the method is the same, just depends on the mobo. Easiest way is set the multiplier to manual and enter a number in the slot. If you're gonna do a modest OC, leave the voltage at its default level, set multi, F10 save and exit, try booting. If it boots, stress it and monitor temps. If it's stable during the stress test and temps are within safe range, you're good.

As for fastest clocked cpu, the amd 8 cores from the previous gen are really high clocked, but they're deprecated. Iirc, the i7-7700k is the king of clocks and IPC for single threaded loads.

If you want help over the phone, I can pm you my number.

Comment

I have a mother board that is overclock ready with dual bios images and a corsair water cooler. I am unsure what temperatures are at with it. I will start with mine first since the 4770k and 4790k I have are both air cooled.

Does anyone have one of those AMD's I could test out? I'd bring an SSD over and boot off that and run some sql queries basically.

Comment

If you're talking about the AM3 socket cpu, they're bandwidth limited for io, so I can assure you it's not worth your time to test.

What OS are you using?

Comment

Linux

Comment

http://gkrellm.srcbox.net is what used on my old Linux box.

Comment

lol fucking gkrellm so old school.

Comment

//zero*cool/
                The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

Originally posted by zora04 View Post
                  //zero*cool/
                  Mess with the best, die like the rest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Is there some sort of database for CPU's and their stable overclock speeds?

Comment

No sir, it's all bin lottery. Some silicon oc's better than others all within a product line. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...n-lottery.html

Just as this is true for cpu's, different mobos OC better. Your psu also plays into the equation.

Comment

What OC were you able to get? I run my 3770k @4.3ghz 24/7

Comment

I was gonna say the 7700k are averaging 5.0Ghz

4770k and 4790k are not that great. 5.0 is very rare. If you can pull a 4.5 out of them you did pretty good.

My 8 core 5820k is a golden chip at 4.8 @ 1.22v, I was pushing 1.32v @ 5.0g for about a year and burned up that output of a 1200w psu lol. Most don't go much higher than turbo speed, maybe 4.2.

Just watch your voltage. Once you start hitting 1.25 or1.3 for any of these chips it gets pretty counter productive. I've also seen them all do 5.0 on around 1.2 just depends on the chip hunting you want to do.

You don't have to hunt if you're just wanting to buy a gold chip, use silicon lottery. The 5820k I have was from them and it was only 100 extra.

Don't use prime 95 to burn stability.
                          Intel cpu burn or something.

You can delid and achieve all these unless you are very unlucky and just get a crap chip and then its delid so you cant return it. Silicon lottery will delid too if its possible. 5820k and such cannot.
                          sigpic

Comment

Didn't someone post a link at one point where you can buy (maybe de-lidded) CPUs that they guaranteed would overclock to a certain GHz? I swear I saw that floating around somewhere.

Comment

write better queries and shit

Comment

Working...
                              X