Heads up - AT&T retail store scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads up - AT&T retail store scam

MIL was at an actual att store and they offered her $150 for her old iPhone if she got a new one. $150 she confirmed with 2 associates comes in the form of a visa/MasterCard that could be used at any retail establishment. Card arrived today and it only works at at&t stores toward accessories. Took it back up there and the manager states her associates never mislead anyone, will accept iPhone back as a return but that her old iPhone is gone.

Just a heads up in case another store pulls the same $150 card scam.

I wouldn't say it's a scam, possibly a scamola, but not a scam.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Ok, scam-o-la or bait and switch

Comment

Can you use it to pay your phone bill at AT&T. IF that's the case that's what I'd use it for. Then blow the $150 you just saved on your phone bill on anything you want.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
          Can you use it to pay your phone bill at AT&T. IF that's the case that's what I'd use it for. Then blow the $150 you just saved on your phone bill on anything you want.
          No, accessories only

Comment

Mgr basically said get bent. Said even IF an associate misinformed her she still should have read the rebate fine print on the back of the receipt. Aaaaaand the associate just admitted he might have gotten the details of the rebate confused but the mgr still just says sorry. Wow what happened to taking care of the customer? MIL has been an AT&T customer since 1993, I guess that means nothing.

Comment

Who the hell would need $150 worth of cell phone accessories? LOL, put that thing on Craigslist for $125, I bet someone will buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                No, accessories only
                If it's a Visa/Mastercard branded card...it can't limited to what it can be used on. Can be limited to only ATT stores, but that can't keep the card from being used as payment for anything they have in the store that they would accept any other credit card for.
                GIFSoup

Comment

Originally posted by mirefire 2.0 View Post
                  If it's a Visa/Mastercard branded card...it can't limited to what it can be used on. Can be limited to only ATT stores, but that can't keep the card from being used as payment for anything they have in the store that they would accept any other credit card for.
                  Its an AT&T card, no visa or MasterCard logo.

Comment

Lmfao!!! Karma is quick! Associate that lied changes his tune and says he will try and see what he can do. Goes and finds a guy in line with $140ish in Bluetooth and headphones. Cuts a deal with the guy to pay for his stuff with her gift card and take his cash that he had out to pay for it with. Associate rings up his accessories with her gift card, gets distracted by another customer for 30 secs and the guy walked out of the store with his cash. LOL this is getting good. Now the manager has taken the associate to the back office to confirm what just transpired on the video system.

Comment

Oh wow. That IS interesting. Let's see how this works out
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Lmfao!!! Karma is quick! Associate that lied changes his tune and says he will try and see what he can do. Goes and finds a guy in line with $140ish in Bluetooth and headphones. Cuts a deal with the guy to pay for his stuff with her gift card and take his cash that he had out to pay for it with. Associate rings up his accessories with her gift card, gets distracted by another customer for 30 secs and the guy walked out of the store with his cash. LOL this is getting good. Now the manager has taken the associate to the back office to confirm what just transpired on the video system.
                        Someone will be looking for a J O B later today.LOL

I recondition headlights on most cars for $50.00. If interested shoot me a pm.

Comment

May be karma, but the dude that walked out is a scumbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            May be karma, but the dude that walked out is a scumbag.
                            I prefer the term 'opportunist.' I mean umm......
                            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

MIL was at an actual att store and they offered her $150 for her old iPhone if she got a new one. $150 she confirmed with 2 associates comes in the form of a visa/MasterCard that could be used at any retail establishment. Card arrived today and it only works at at&t stores toward accessories. Took it back up there and the manager states her associates never mislead anyone, will accept iPhone back as a return but that her old iPhone is gone.

Just a heads up in case another store pulls the same $150 card scam.
                              lol. why would you trade in at a at&t store?

I can get $320 for trade-in of my 4S at Best Buy. That money goes on to a gift card, but at least I can then use it towards the new phone I buy.
                              HD Parts
                              paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Working...
                              X