No announcement yet.

Ammo Storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a few of those ammo crates, perfect size/weight when full to move around

Comment

Keeping it in the basement? Where do you live?
      Originally posted by Jose View Post
      Thanks everybody for their response.

Metal filing cabinet would be a no. I'm not simply looking for a place to stash my ammo, but a way to store it where it's protected from humidity. I'm storing my ammo in my basement, and although it's not terribly humid, I've found a couple of loose cardboard boxes of really old ammo in my dads old gun cabinet (not a safe but pretty much an open wooden storage cabinet) that were rusting.

Probably wouldn't trust a cooler for that either as I'd want something with a sealing gasket. I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans. I do want to pick up some good size ones for some of my camping gear (electronics and my drone).

I'm going to look into the ammo cans at HF and Costco. It'll match with what I have, stackable, I know they are sealed, and should be fairly cheap. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        i have a few of those ammo crates, perfect size/weight when full to move around
        Thanks for confirming Matt.

Originally posted by Fastback View Post
        Keeping it in the basement? Where do you live?
        I live in Oak Cliff and my house is built on the side of a small hill so I have a basement area underneath the house that is partially into the hill but also has a door leading outside. Basement/cellar, I call it a basement. When it rains really heavily, I'll get some water leaking down there that I have to keep an eye on and clean up. I also have a big room dehumidifier down there that fills up fairly quickly.

Comment

Good to know, I thought they were sealed. Although not as much of a concern for me now that I have a bed cover. Still would want something for camping that is sealable for electronics. What did you get for the roof rack?
          Just cheap boxes from walmart, but they have a channel groove. They never leaked, though I also only carried items that could get a little wet without issue, or made sure to use a dry bag for things that could not.

Really, the only concern with the action packers was driving while raining, as it would allow water to find it's way in. When I used them in my old pickup bed trailer, there was not an issue as the wind wasn't hitting the side of the box. If concerned i would just line it with a durable trash bag, like a compactor or contractor bag.

Comment

Anyway just what I'm thinking.

A cooler (depending on the size) won't easily load in the trunk of my Mustang.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            That's a nice alternative to an ice shest/cooler. Even though I use a small soft cooler when I go to the range, it makes it easier to carry my ammo to and from. This would be a better case and its lockable (or you can use a lock).

A cooler (depending on the size) won't easily load in the trunk of my Mustang.
            You bought a Mustang?!?

Pics...
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
              You bought a Mustang?!?
              Yeah, I caught that too.. I didn't know you had a Mustang Jose!

Comment

I'm not the expert here, but Your house is conditioned space. I've taken a cartridge from a 20+ year old box of ammo that was stored in a locked cabinet, loaded into my 30.06 that hadn't been fired in almost 10 years, and hit the bull first shot. I've never had a failure from shotgun shells that old either.

That being said, I store some ammo in safe, some in a traditional gun cabinet, and some in a locked closet in either the box it arrived in or a cheap Plano ammo box. I throw a few of those bean bags to soak humidity in the general area I store in (closet, safe, etc.). I've never had a problem. Load...squeeze...BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                  I'm not the expert here, but Your house is conditioned space.
                  It's in his 'basement', which from what it sounds like, is not 'conditioned'. Maybe you missed this post:

Thanks everybody for their response.

Metal filing cabinet would be a no. I'm not simply looking for a place to stash my ammo, but a way to store it where it's protected from humidity. I'm storing my ammo in my basement, and although it's not terribly humid, I've found a couple of loose cardboard boxes of really old ammo in my dads old gun cabinet (not a safe but pretty much an open wooden storage cabinet) that were rusting.

Probably wouldn't trust a cooler for that either as I'd want something with a sealing gasket. I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans. I do want to pick up some good size ones for some of my camping gear (electronics and my drone).

I'm going to look into the ammo cans at HF and Costco. It'll match with what I have, stackable, I know they are sealed, and should be fairly cheap. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                    That's a nice alternative to an ice shest/cooler. Even though I use a small soft cooler when I go to the range, it makes it easier to carry my ammo to and from. This would be a better case and its lockable (or you can use a lock).

You bought a Mustang?!?

Pics...
                    Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    Yeah, I caught that too.. I didn't know you had a Mustang Jose!
                    LOL! I bought Henry's GT a while back.

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                    I'm not the expert here, but Your house is conditioned space. I've taken a cartridge from a 20+ year old box of ammo that was stored in a locked cabinet, loaded into my 30.06 that hadn't been fired in almost 10 years, and hit the bull first shot. I've never had a failure from shotgun shells that old either.

That being said, I store some ammo in safe, some in a traditional gun cabinet, and some in a locked closet in either the box it arrived in or a cheap Plano ammo box. I throw a few of those bean bags to soak humidity in the general area I store in (closet, safe, etc.). I've never had a problem. Load...squeeze...BOOM!
                    What Craig was saying. Ammo and most of my firearms are stored in my basement which is not climate controlled. I've shot some shotgun shells I had that had some slight rush on it. But the point is that I want to make sure I don't have these issues. But I appreciate your input.

Comment

Get some indicating silica gel dessicant packs that change colors when they've absorbed too much water and need to changed.

Comment

So just an update. Not sure if I'm really digging the MTM box but it does hold a bunch of boxes. But I don't think it will be what I want to use for transporting ammo for a range day.

Originally posted by GE View Post
                        Get some indicating silica gel dessicant packs that change colors when they've absorbed too much water and need to changed.
                        I've always just used the desiccant packs I get with packages and periodically just stick them in the toaster oven to dry out. Might have to get these though as it will be a nice visual reference when I need to heat them up. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X