First gun - CHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First gun - CHL

I know right off the bat, im probably going to get flamed here, but Im serious and looking for advice.

I do not own a gun and honestly, never have except for a .22 I bought for my son when he started going out to a friend's land to shoot a little.

That being said, with all the mess going on in todays world, i was thinking of getting a couple. Im not really into hunting and honestly, never really thought a whole lot about having a gun for protection. I figure now is as good a time as any, and with all the talk going on, Id rather play it safe and get some now while its not an issue.

That being said, I was thinking of taking the CHL classes and getting my license and getting something small I could carry and conceal. Also thought about a shotgun for home security. Thats really all I had in mind, maybe one rifle of some sort for if/when i ever go hunting or shooting at a range with some friends.

I think first and foremost, i was wanting a handgun. But I do not know ANYTHING about them. I mean, I have heard of glock, walther, etc but other than names, I really dont know much about them at all. What is a good first handgun for CHL? I dont think id really carry it around everywhere and everytime, but Id like something small so that I could when I wanted. I dont typically wear a bunch of layers of clothes, so im not really even certain how to carry these things to be honest.

Im sure alot of my questions will be answered when I take some classes and do some more research, but im really just here looking for some general advice on what type/model gun to look into?

thanks ahead of time

Guns are all personal preference my suggestion is buy the most gun you can with in your budget. Go to the store hold a few and check them out and read a bit.

Comment

go to a range and rent a few. go with the one your comfortable shooting
      07 f250-family truckster
      08 Denali -baby hauler
      52 f1-rust bucket
      05 Jeep tj. Buggy
      livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
        go to a range and rent a few. go with the one your comfortable shooting
        This, but i'll add that you need to take a firearms safety and shooting course...
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

How about you come to one of the get togethers and shoot a whole slew of guns and see which you like? We could set something up around the first of the year if you guys like.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            How about you come to one of the get togethers and shoot a whole slew of guns and see which you like? We could set something up around the first of the year if you guys like.
            I'd be in on this deal... I was actually thinking about going to the range today in Lewisville and renting a few 380's to see what I like best... I've been looking at the LCP because its sooooo small but I want to shoot a few similar options first
            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
              I'd be in on this deal... I was actually thinking about going to the range today in Lewisville and renting a few 380's to see what I like best... I've been looking at the LCP because its sooooo small but I want to shoot a few similar options first
              The Sig P238 and P938 are fantastic shooters, but they are expensive. I figured I'd mention it, but if you're looking at an LCP I would think it isn't what you're looking for. The LCP's work fine, they just are not "fun" to shoot. I can bring one to a get together and you can try both.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I've heard this a couple times.... I don't see myself going to a range a lot or anything like that.. I literally just want it for a CCW

I have a little 25 that I carry when I am going to buy or sell anything but since I don't have my CHL I don't always carry it...
                I know that the 25 is too little.. but it's also better than nothing...
                1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I've heard this a couple times.... I don't see myself going to a range a lot or anything like that.. I literally just want it for a CCW

I have a little 25 that I carry when I am going to buy or sell anything but since I don't have my CHL I don't always carry it...
                  I have an LCP and like it for CCW (can fit in a pocket easily).

Comment

I was going to say go to DFW gun range where you can hold an assortment, and then rent the ones you like and shoot them, but CJ is on to something...

Comment

Yeah, I can respect that. But, also you can make the case that the more you shoot it, the better you're going to be with it. If it sucks to shoot, chances are you're not going to have much experience shooting it. If you're interested I'll bring an LCP and a P938 and you can try them both out.

Comment

depending on which range it would be at, I'd be in for a range gtg.

To the OP, I have a Bersa .380 that I use for my CCW. It literally fits in my front pocket but is still big enough to have a good grip while holding/shooting it.

I don't really wear a lot of layers or baggy clothes so I've had difficulties concealing the .45(except when it's cold outside) plus the added weight gets tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                          depending on which range it would be at, I'd be in for a range gtg.
                          I was going to use my range, which is in Alvarado, right at 35/67.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            I was going to use my range, which is in Alvarado, right at 35/67.
                            I'm in GP so I'd be cool with that. Just need plenty of notice so I, or the wife, doesn't book something on that day.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                              I'm in GP so I'd be cool with that. Just need plenty of notice so I, or the wife, doesn't book something on that day.
                              I was thinking about early January, so everyone can play with their new xmas, anyone else interest in another GTG?

Comment

Working...
                              X