Random PICTURE of the day thread *KEEP IT WORK SAFE*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
    If you want the kids to learn this, then ask them something like 999 + 17? It's easy for them to see that 999 + 17 = 1000 + 16. That way they learn to move numbers to get simple numbers.
    You don't start off in the deep end. You spend time in the shallow end, learn the basics, get comfortable, and then move up. Same with math. You start with small numbers and simple problems, master them, and move on to larger numbers and more complex problems.
    Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
    The beauty of math is that you always have a right answer and set ways to get to it. Sure, there are some shortcuts, especially for mental math, but that problem was not one.
    I think the beauty of math is that you're given some simple tools (addition, multiplication, exponents, etc.) and some basic rules about how the tools work together (order of operations, arithmetic properties), and set loose to use those tools however you see fit as long as you don't violate the rules. There are definitely more efficient ways to solve certain problems, but there's never a right way or a wrong way (as long as you don't violate the rules).
    Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
    Her answer wasn't spot on since it didn't answer the question. 8 + 5 = 13, not 10. Also, 10 + 3 = 13, not 10. The question sucked and so did her answer.
    The question was: how do you make 10 when adding 8 + 5? And her answer was take 2 from 5 and add it to 8 (8 + 2 = 10), then add 3. She made 10. The question was bad (it should've been something like "how can you rewrite 8 + 5 as the sum of 10 and another number?"), but her answer was correct.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

• Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
      If you want the kids to learn this, then ask them something like 999 + 17? It's easy for them to see that 999 + 17 = 1000 + 16. That way they learn to move numbers to get simple numbers. I just went through this with my 11 year old and proportions. My wife teaches at his school, and I came unglued seeing some of the problems. We were even watching videos his math teacher posted of her working problems. It made no fucking sense. The beauty of math is that you always have a right answer and set ways to get to it. Sure, there are some shortcuts, especially for mental math, but that problem was not one.

Her answer wasn't spot on since it didn't answer the question. 8 + 5 = 13, not 10. Also, 10 + 3 = 13, not 10. The question sucked and so did her answer.
      I agree.

I would do the problem differently to get to 13.

8+5=?
      Round up 8 to 10 by getting the difference between 8 and 10. 2
      Now you have 10+5, which is easy to solve. 15
      Now subtract the same 2 that you borrowed out of your ass.
      15-2=13.

Or, you could simply remember that 8+5=13. Of course, that no longer makes sense and neither does their badly worded question; if that is what they were wanting you to do.
      Last edited by line-em-up; 01-20-2015, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• These last few pictures are boring as hell!

Comment

• Comment

• From an Asian teacher I know, though she doesn't like it, she said this is the method that was always taught in like Singapore where she grew up.

Comment

• Comment

• Y'all MF'ers take your math shit to a math thread...

Comment

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post

Y'all MF'ers take your math shit to a math thread...
                  Looks like an air rifle. Shouldn't hurt bad at all...
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

• What if I took 5 from the 8 to make 10?
                    Last edited by 71chevellejohn; 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                      What if I took 5 from the 8 ro make 10?
                      Take the R and add a T......
                      2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
                      2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

• Originally posted by bigtitan21 View Post
                        take the r and add a t......
                        Boosh!!!

Comment

• That scope is going to destroy her orbital socket.
                          sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                          🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

• Originally posted by BigTitan21 View Post
                            Take the R and add a T......
                            thanks, I must have looked up to see where I was driving when I typed that.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X