Impacts wrench power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impacts wrench power

How much is too much? I’m struggling with this bolt and I’m being told that an impact wrench should do the job problem is, I don’t have impact kinda money. Also, I won’t be using it enough to justify the purchase. SO, I found a cheap-o corded one at harbor freight with max 230 ft/lb for $75 but I don’t think that’ll will be enough power to take this bolt off. Then there are a few that cost a little more but pack a ton of more power which leads me to ask, how much power is too much and how much do we really need? I was thinking about using it for wheels n’ stuff and maybe tighten up the bolts for the struts I’m trying to replace but I don’t want to be stripping bolts with all the powers!!
    .....bro....

no such thing as to much powa

Comment

Breaker bar and cheater bar if it's accessible. PB Wrench soak it for a few days. I'm assuming you don't have an oxy-acetylene torch.

My parents bought me a Craftsman impact wrench for Christmas probably 18 years ago. I've used that thing thousands of times.

If I can't get it off with my impact, it's not meant to come off.
      Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

There’s nothing to grip when I turn the bolt and I’ve already soaked the sumbitch with a whole can of pb. I’m out of ideas. If I don’t get access to an impact I’m gonna have to cut it off. I’m just wondering if there’s an impact with too much power than can cause damage
        .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
          There’s nothing to grip when I turn the bolt and I’ve already soaked the sumbitch with a whole can of pb. I’m out of ideas. If I don’t get access to an impact I’m gonna have to cut it off. I’m just wondering if there’s an impact with too much power than can cause damage
          I bough the Harbor Freight one on sale for 50.00 like 10 years ago. That thing has plenty of power. As a matter of fact it has outperformed some of my better air impacts on my 2.5 ton Rocks. Now most of this was when I had a smaller compressor. Even still my dad had a 80 gallon stand up and I always found myself reaching for the electric. I actually figured I would break it and was going to gauge how I liked it and then by a name brand. Well it is still chugging along. Oh, and I hate their shit usually. I broke a right angle drill of theirs in one shot.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

If there's nothing to grip, then an impact won't work any better than a breaker bar.

That aside, it will take however much torque that it takes to get the nut off, once loose it doesn't matter how much power your tool has. If something breaks it was due to the seized bolt, not the impact wrench.

Comment

If the bolt is on a rotating shaft that tends to spin (strut shaft, crankshaft balancer bolt), an impact will work better because of the momentary shock it gives the bolt. If this is just a bolt in a fixed position that is stuck then a breaker bar will work just as good. Make sure you use a good quality six point socket though.

I have the Dewalt DCF899P1 and it definitely has enough power to break shit. It will fuck shit up if you want it to but it has three settings so you can turn down the powa.
              Last edited by Broncojohnny; 12-29-2018, 09:37 AM.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Use visegrips on the top of the shaft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Hammer and a 6 point whench. Go to the tool rental yard.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    I bough the Harbor Freight one on sale for 50.00 like 10 years ago. That thing has plenty of power. As a matter of fact it has outperformed some of my better air impacts on my 2.5 ton Rocks. Now most of this was when I had a smaller compressor. Even still my dad had a 80 gallon stand up and I always found myself reaching for the electric. I actually figured I would break it and was going to gauge how I liked it and then by a name brand. Well it is still chugging along. Oh, and I hate their shit usually. I broke a right angle drill of theirs in one shot.
                    I bought a cheap Kawasaki corded impact from harbor freight back when I had little money. I still pull it out when my air powered ones don’t have enough balls to break something loose. Those corded impacts will outperform a lot of air compressor setups.

The down fall of the electric stuff is it cannot be used continuously, it gets hot.

Comment

Impacts wrench power

Well, I went at it with this thing and it didn’t work. The shit Strut just spins. I’m out of ideas
                      .....bro....

Comment

impacts wrench power

Much impact so power
                        WH

Comment

Cut the old strut. Buy a new nut. It’s happened to me before too.

Comment

Depends on what it is. I've got a battery operated Ryobi that is something like 400ftlbs and it's OK for most, but I also have a 3/4 husky that's somewhere around 1500ftlbs and I haven't found shit that it can't break loose.

Comment

Vicegrips on the shaft.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                              X