Ross Perot died...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
    His mistake was being so full of himself.
    Pot ——-> Kettle ——-> Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
      Pot ——-> Kettle ——-> Thread.
      A man has to know his limitations and I know mine. He knew his and ignored them and we are all suffering for it. The damage he did by running in 92 outweighs all of the good he has ever done by an order of magnitude.

A perfect example of the type of man he really is is that GM paid him 700 million dollars to GTFO when all they had to do was allow him to stick around for a few years and then he would leave without getting a cent. He was also such a stubborn ass that his fortune did not grow by an appreciable amount in nearly 20 years when his peers net worth went up 11 fold in the same timeframe. He was a man who gladly cashed his government checks while bitching about bloated government spending and feeding at the government trough with the other pigs.
      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

He was also such a stubborn ass that his fortune did not grow by an appreciable amount in nearly 20 years when his peers net worth went up 11 fold in the same timeframe. He was a man who gladly cashed his government checks while bitching about bloated government spending and feeding at the government trough with the other pigs.

And at what... 4 billion dollars, I really wouldn't give a rat's ass if my fortune grew any bigger either. Whatcha gonna do, buy another tropical island to go right next to the other 2?
        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          And at what... 4 billion dollars, I really wouldn't give a rat's ass if my fortune grew any bigger either. Whatcha gonna do, buy another tropical island to go right next to the other 2?
          It's not about the money. It shows a clear lack of proper judgment. The only wise business decision he ever made was being at the right place at the right time to suck up government dollars and being such a mouthy pain in the ass that General Motors was willing to pay him seven hundred million dollars to shut up and leave.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

being such a mouthy pain in the ass that General Motors was willing to pay him seven hundred million dollars to shut up and leave.
            Two sides to every story...

the deal made Perot GM’s largest shareholder, and he immediately began to work on turning the lumbering business around.

It was not a happy process. According to Jeff Gramm’s excellent history of shareholder activism Dear Chairman, Perot quickly realised that the company’s problems stemmed from a board who were unwilling to listen to their customers, employees or — in Perot’s case — agitated fellow board members.

While Smith blamed his workers for GM’s relative inefficiency, Perot suspected it was because the company’s culture was broken. Workers were thought of as an expense, rather than an asset.

His suspicions were proved right when in 1983 GM struck a deal with Toyota to reopen a plant in Fremont, California (now owned by Tesla Motors). Dubbed “NUMMI” — New United Motor Manufacturing Inc — the joint venture achieved defect rates and quality ratings unheard of at GM’s other plants. And, crucially, it did so with old equipment, proving to Perot that culture, not technology, drove performance. In Perot’s view, as expressed to the board in ‘85, its competitors were winning by “using brains and wit as a substitute for capital”.

Smith, however, didn’t buy it, and continued to see investments in technology as GM’s panacea. When GM agreed to buy Hughes Aircraft, a defence contractor, for $5bn in ‘85, Perot thought the business was repeating the same old mistakes and decided to write to Smith to share his frustrations...

etc

...Perot would go on to found another billion-dollar company, Perot Systems, before his presidential run. But his legacy at GM was lasting. After his very public exit from GM, Gramm writes that institutional shareholders began to take note of poor corporate governance in the US. As one example, in 1987, for the first time ever, four public pensions funds submitted shareholder resolutions— 47 of them to be precise — with CALPERS chief executive Dale Hanson admitting that, “as owners [of companies] for the last 30 or 40 years, we’ve been asleep at the switch”.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Please notice that I did not say Perot was wrong about his assessment of General Motors. What I said was that he was so mouthy and hard to get along with that they were willing to pay him $700,000,000 to leave. That was pretty much the only honest big money that the man made in his life, after that he went back to the government feeding trough where most of his money came from in the first place and wouldn't shut the fuck up about government spending the entire time he was taking our money from the government. Medicare and Medicaid are what made him a billionaire and they are also the programs that are bankrupting the country. Hypocritical, tyrannical, Napoleon complex, little shitbag Hitler in business but he had a heart of gold when it came down to personal interactions and charities. Like I said, all men are flawed. I'm unwilling to forgive him for the harm he caused because of the good that he has done.

Comment

I didn’t know that Perot was such a terrible money manager. I like the net worth number that obviously came out of SVO’s ass.

As for GM, they hated Ross because he relentlessly wanted to change the company to fix it. They also hate their employees which is counter to his style. He treats his employees extremely well in every way.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  I didn’t know that Perot was such a terrible money manager. I like the net worth number that obviously came out of SVO’s ass.

As for GM, they hated Ross because he relentlessly wanted to change the company to fix it. They also hate their employees which is counter to his style. He treats his employees extremely well in every way.
                  He wasn't a terrible money manager. He would have been a much wealthier man had he not been such a cantankerous asshole towards his equals. When you compare him to his peers of the same era you will understand his shortcomings.

He made a bad judgment call trying to run for president and I will never forgive him for the damage he did. I say good riddance and I'm happy that I lived long enough to see him die.

Comment

He wasn't a terrible money manager. He would have been a much wealthier man had he not been such a cantankerous asshole towards his equals. When you compare him to his peers of the same era you will understand his shortcomings.

He made a bad judgment call trying to run for president and I will never forgive him for the damage he did. I say good riddance and I'm happy that I lived long enough to see him die.
                    Which peers are those again? I’d like to get your full analysis.

I’m also interested in all the damage he did. Apparently it is so extensive that the Bush family are dear friends of the Perots. Go ahead and elaborate.
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Which peers are those again? I’d like to get your full analysis.

I’m also interested in all the damage he did. Apparently it is so extensive that the Bush family are dear friends of the Perots. Go ahead and elaborate.
                      His peers are the people of his era with the same net worth as him.

Of course the Bush family loves him, politicians always lick the boots of people with money. The bushes are also dear friends with the Obamas so that shows you how good their judgment is.

The damage that he did was bringing us the clintons and the influence they've had over the past 27 years now. A smarter man would have taken the nomination for president in the Republican party and ran on the same platform Perot ran on. Only a jackass would do what he did when the outcome of his actions was inevitable and entirely predictable.

Comment

The damage that he did was bringing us the clintons and the influence they've had over the past 27 years now. A smarter man would have taken the nomination for president in the Republican party and ran on the same platform Perot ran on. Only a jackass would do what he did when the outcome of his actions was inevitable and entirely predictable.
                        With no disclaimer that you're commenting with nearly 30 years of hindsight...

Debate all you want, but don't act like he had some crystal ball and made his decisions maliciously.

Comment

His peers are the people of his era with the same net worth as him.

Of course the Bush family loves him, politicians always lick the boots of people with money. The bushes are also dear friends with the Obamas so that shows you how good their judgment is.

I'm just wondering how you know his net worth. Did you get that out of People magazine maybe? Or just your own ass? Or the net worth of any of the other people involved for that matter? It just shows how poorly thought out your position is to claim you know any of these things.

No serious political analyst thinks Perot got Clinton elected. It doesn't follow exit polls at the time and Ross took no states and got no electoral college votes. This whole thing is just a bullshit yarn told by hardline Republican dipshits who couldn't stand to take the loss. IE, the 1992 version of "Russian collusion". My prior point about Bush was that even the Bush family does not think that Perot cost him the election. One phrase sank Bush, "Read my lips, no new taxes".

Quit being a dipshit

Comment

I'm just wondering how you know his net worth. Did you get that out of People magazine maybe? Or just your own ass? Or the net worth of any of the other people involved for that matter? It just shows how poorly thought out your position is to claim you know any of these things.

No serious political analyst thinks Perot got Clinton elected. It doesn't follow exit polls at the time and Ross took no states and got no electoral college votes. This whole thing is just a bullshit yarn told by hardline Republican dipshits who couldn't stand to take the loss. IE, the 1992 version of "Russian collusion". My prior point about Bush was that even the Bush family does not think that Perot cost him the election. One phrase sank Bush, "Read my lips, no new taxes".

Quit being a dipshit
                            Forbes was pretty good about the pecking of who had what money in the US back in the day.

Perot took 19 percent of the popular vote the first go round and it is pretty safe to say that most of the votes he received would have gone to Bush had he not been in the race.

Do you seriously believe that you are going to change my mind with anything you could post here? I think I liked Ted Kennedy more then I liked Ross Perot.

FYI: I am not a Republican.

Comment

Forbes was pretty good about the pecking of who had what money in the US back in the day.

Perot took 19 percent of the popular vote the first go round and it is pretty safe to say that most of the votes he received would have gone to Bush had he not been in the race.

Do you seriously believe that you are going to change my mind with anything you could post here? I think I liked Ted Kennedy more then I liked Ross Perot.

FYI: I am not a Republican.
                              Yea, Forbes, that's so laughable that I don't know where to start. Some of the richest people in this country are not even on their list.

And no, it isn't "safe to say" that all of Perot's votes came from Bush. In fact there has been at least one study that said Bush could have never won no matter what he did. At the time of the election the economy was in recession and his obvious failure on that tax issue was weighing him down.

No one here thinks your mind can be changed, do you even pay attention to how people react to you? When I go to the zoo and I see a monkey flinging his own shit I don't think I can change his mind either. I know a hopeless cause when I see it.

Comment

Sad news, always liked him.

Comment

Working...
                                X