We're building a house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
    Congrats!!! Prepare yourself for the ass beating that is to come, it was extremely stressful for me but worth it once everything was hashed out.
    Thanks. Im already having to talk the wife down. She's the nervous type anyway. Im still surprised I can qualify for this kind of mortgage without selling my house first, but they had no problem with it.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Congrats Mang!

Comment

Yeah its the same in our house, the only carpet is in the master bedroom downstairs and then upstairs which we hardly even go up there. Our master bedroom carpet shows trails even after we use a carpet rake.

Also I didn't get the covered patio either, our house it was like $18k extra, but I really wish I would have thought to make them lay down a larger concrete pour

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
          Yeah its the same in our house, the only carpet is in the master bedroom downstairs and then upstairs which we hardly even go up there. Our master bedroom carpet shows trails even after we use a carpet rake.

Also I didn't get the covered patio either, our house it was like $18k extra, but I really wish I would have thought to make them lay down a larger concrete pour
          That's what we did, normal pour for our plan was 4x8, covered was something like 8x14, we went 20x14.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Congrats, man!

Comment

Watch the construction like a hawk. They will try and cheap out and cut corners on everything they can get away with. The city inspectors usually dont care and dont try hard to find issues.

Also, if you decide to try and finish out that attic to a media room later, make sure the floor joists are designed to take the weight. If not, you are going to end up with cracked drywall and what not down stairs

Comment

Badass man, congradulations!!
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                  Watch the construction like a hawk. They will try and cheap out and cut corners on everything they can get away with. The city inspectors usually dont care and dont try hard to find issues.

Also, if you decide to try and finish out that attic to a media room later, make sure the floor joists are designed to take the weight. If not, you are going to end up with cracked drywall and what not down stairs
                  Outside the city limits, so no city inspector. I'll be all over them, especially since Ill be 10 miles down the road shacking up with the inlaws.

The attic area isnt decked without the room there, but the plans arent any different on the framework.

Comment

Congratulations man!
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Make sure your escrow is started from day 1. Get started paying those taxes make sure it's getting done. Don't wait for the surprise 2 years later

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        Outside the city limits, so no city inspector. I'll be all over them, especially since Ill be 10 miles down the road shacking up with the inlaws.

The attic area isnt decked without the room there, but the plans arent any different on the framework.
                        Make sure that the I joists run in that area. Unless you saw an ilevel an, or similar, it may differ from the framing plan that you saw. Ours are not included in the architectural plans.

If you want, I can send you a check list from burgess construction consultants that they used when doing quality and best practices inspections for us on our homes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

I have nothing new to add except that I would consider hiring an independent inspector. City inspectors are only there to shake down the builders for permit and inspection fees, they don't give a shit about the product. We used Aaron's Home Inspections and were happy with their work. They gave us a very detailed report and I felt that their presence on the job was at least a small deterrent for total shit work.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            On cashew, off 501. Just outside your jurisdiction!
                            For now!

And we outsource city inspectors I think, and they don't screw around.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Good luck, bet that is a stressful thing do deal with but sounds like it will be nice when it is said and done.
                              1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                              1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                              2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                Make sure that the I joists run in that area. Unless you saw an ilevel an, or similar, it may differ from the framing plan that you saw. Ours are not included in the architectural plans.

If you want, I can send you a check list from burgess construction consultants that they used when doing quality and best practices inspections for us on our homes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                                shoot it to me. Ill give it to my realtor, who lives 4 houses down around the corner.
                                Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                                I have nothing new to add except that I would consider hiring an independent inspector. City inspectors are only there to shake down the builders for permit and inspection fees, they don't give a shit about the product. We used Aaron's Home Inspections and were happy with their work. They gave us a very detailed report and I felt that their presence on the job was at least a small deterrent for total shit work.
                                yeah, that's already been suggested.
                                Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                                For now!

And we outsource city inspectors I think, and they don't screw around.
                                Ha!
                                Originally posted by Labora View Post
                                Good luck, bet that is a stressful thing do deal with but sounds like it will be nice when it is said and done.
                                thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X