black2002ls Model Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black2002ls Model Car Thread

I figured I would group these all into one thread. I will continue to update my NASCAR build in its own thread due to the amount of detail on that one. I'll post anything new here. I've got a few irons in the fire, trying to see what I can get done for the Showdown on March 3rd.

I'll get a few pics up in a bit.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I had a thread started for this one, but I figured I would move it to here.

First gen Bronco. It will get a little work. Custom bumpers, roll bar, wheels/tires, small lift and some details.

This is the silver base coat. I'm going to paint it wild strawberry metallic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

This will be my first commissioned build. A replica of 01yz2nv's cobra. Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong silver. I have the correct color on the way though I need to do a little work to the body. There are a few flaws still.

Comment

I got some color and clear on the Bronco today.

Comment

My parts for the bronco came in today. Wheels and tires and fender flares. I'm torn on the flares. I did not realize the back will need cut for the flare. I can break out the dremel and open it up, but I'm not 100% sure I want to use them.

Colors:

Body -wild strawberry metallic
          Flares - matte black
          Top - if I use it matte black
          Roll bar - matte black
          Wheels - Bronze with black bead lock ring

Thoughts?

Comment

I vote flares

Comment

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I am ready to attack it with the dremel

Comment

Do it.

Comment

Finally some progress worth showing on the Bronco. I am dubbing it "Half Breed". I modified the body for the fender flares. This is the 3rd time I have painted the body. I had issues with the wild strawberry metallic. So, I found some Tereador red in duplicolor. I can go from primer to clear in about an hour using duplicolor base coat. The benefit is, I have to have this finished by Saturday!!

Wheels are alclad pale gold.

Motorvation will come via a coyote 5.0. It required some minor surgery. I had to mode the inner fender walls in just a bit to clear the valve covers. I also had to shorten the 6 speed to accomodate the transfer case.

Comment

Looking good.

kinda makes me want to start building again.

Comment

This is really cool. Nice color combo on the Bronco. I agree that it's worth the hack to do the flares. Can't wait to see it done.

Comment

Thanks. The matte black flares and top should offer some nice contrast. If I have the time, I'm going to try and fab a roll bar and paint it the same gold

Comment

Well, the Half Breed is nearing "completion" it is a total turd. I have rushed it to try and get it on the table at the contest tomorrow. The color combo, IMHO, came out perfect. The clear is WAY too thick, I've lost a lot of details and panel lines in the clear coat, this is a product of me rushing to finish, laying it on too thick, hoping for good shine. The wheels are super glued on, for looks. I didn't have time to mate them properly, lots of sloppy little details. I am planning to tack the body on with super glue so that I can pop it off and re-finish it, doing it properly. Once I get it all cleaned up and detailed properly, this may turn out to be one of my favorite all time builds. I need to re-spray the engine bay, I don't like the way my gray looks after clearing. I want to go back to the matte finish. I'm also on the fence about the molding along the side. I kind of want to mask it off and paint it stainless steel, but I'm not sure how it will go with everything else. Maybe the same gold as the wheels?

The grille is painted the same gray as the engine bay. It is a buffing metallizer, in exhaust color. The cool thing about it is that you can "buff" it with a soft cloth and it will take on a little bit of shine. It really gave the grille some dimension.

Last edited by black2002ls; 03-02-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

And it is complete. I thrashed on this thing all day.

Comment

Well, I went, I saw, I won a couple trophies, I left feeling......robbed.

I will post pictures with each build with their plaque at some point.

There wasn't a person that I interacted with that wasn't in awe of the #11 car. I knew at the very least it would win the pavement competition class, and I was hopeful for a masters award. Masters awards were for the following:

Best paint job
                              Best chassis detail
                              Best engine bay
                              Best of show

Paint job was out, a black car, with 2 part clear that had issues.

Chassis and engine bay, a little surprised I didn't win either of those.

Best of show. It went to a mildly detailed studebaker pick-up. Now, to be fair, the build was damn near perfect, not a flaw in any of the added details. However, the level of detail pretty much stopped at some machined aluminum additions.

I take some solace in the fact that my biggest fear came to life. The areas of the build that were rushed and sloppy cost me a masters award, cost me Best of Show.

I learned a lot with the race car. A lot that I will employ on future extreme builds.

Comment

Working...
                              X