No announcement yet.

Quieter than stock exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, all factory back to the axle back. The mufflers are at the rear of the car SVO, with just enough room to add tips. I'm not willing to sacrifice flow at all at this point, so it's looking like I can either stuff something in there, or add packing to the muffler.

Comment

You may be able to add a small set of cherry bomb type straight thru mufflers to quiet it down and not restrict flow. On our EcobOOst there is a nice sized resonator, so I know there is room. MBRP makes a down pipe back with that exact thing I'm talking about, instead of the resonator they use a pair of small set of straight flow mufflers to keep the 4 pot sound down.
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Just have an exhaust shop add a pair of resonators. You old fart.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Take the carpet and seats out. Put down dynamat everywhere they don't have stock sound damper. Put down closed cell foam on top of that. Put down mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Do the same thing in the trunk. Done.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            Just have an exhaust shop add a pair of resonators. You old fart.
            Hahaha!
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

This thread makes me sad...

Comment

At least the thread isn't called "How to get rid of some of this extra HP".

Personally, I would add sound deadening before screwing with the exhaust.

Comment

I don't know man, even stock coyotes can get annoyingly loud with the exhaust offerings out there.

Part of the "issue" is that these cars are pretty well insulated, and the mufflers are at the back of the car pointing back. Some guys think the car is too quiet so they do crazy shit like install "muffler deletes." When they think the car finally sounds good to them, they are blowing out eardrums in their neighborhood.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    I don't know man, even stock coyotes can get annoyingly loud with the exhaust offerings out there.

Part of the "issue" is that these cars are pretty well insulated, and the mufflers are at the back of the car pointing back. Some guys think the car is too quiet so they do crazy shit like install "muffler deletes." When they think the car finally sounds good to them, they are blowing out eardrums in their neighborhood.
                    That ain’t no shit!

These cars are hard to get sounding worth a shit. With that said, I’m happy with my full Bassani system, it is loud at full song but sounds amazing.

Comment

Since I've been 4v SVT circa Oct. 1996, the X-pipe with or without cats is the best sounding on the 4v motors. I'm pretty happy with my GT500 Cobra axle back mufflers on my 5.0, the rest of the exhaust is stock.
                      It is pretty damn loud at start up and WOT, which is fine with me, I don't need to be waking up my neighbors or cops when the're napping on the side of the road...

Comment

I was happy with the straight-through Roush I had initially, sounded better than the current kit fully open imo, just too loud for rolling through a quiet neighborhood when everyone's out enjoying the weather, and I couldn't take business calls via bluetooth when on the road.

I'm not making AMG money yet, so here I am taming a beast, and it'll be a badass ride when I am done.

Comment

Is it LOUD or is it DRONE because they picked a shitty chambered muffler to put in their kit?

For instance, my wife's SRT8 charger is loud all fuck most of the time but cruising down the highway it is a quiet as hell. The tire noise is sometimes louder. Sounds like the exhaust system is poorly designed in your case.

go back to stock and complain about other things old farts complain about.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                            Is it LOUD or is it DRONE because they picked a shitty chambered muffler to put in their kit?

For instance, my wife's SRT8 charger is loud all fuck most of the time but cruising down the highway it is a quiet as hell. The tire noise is sometimes louder. Sounds like the exhaust system is poorly designed in your case.

go back to stock and complain about other things old farts complain about.
                            Which mufflers would you recommend that are loud, but quiet on the highway?
                            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                              Which mufflers would you recommend that are loud, but quiet on the highway?
                              I had decent luck with the dynomax straight throughs. Not the race bullets but the larger mufflers and you MUST keep the cats on the car. Even if they are high flow aftermarket stuff. Even the big dynomax I used on my chevy 8100 which didn't have a cat was deep and mellow but cruised rather well for being a LARGE single exit. Might have been a 3.5" or 4".

you can also google what the OEM's are using and find other cars that use those same mufflers and find them as take offs and weld them in....if they fit.

then again, Aaron probably wants BMW quiet which is to say you question whether or not it's even running.

Comment

It's the db's inside and out that I'm trying to minimize, so at this point next steps are to have the Borla resonator welded or clamped in, and sound deadener in the trunk and doors. Might go whole hog, but don't want to pull the interior if I don't have to.

Then a pulley and tune to make up for the extra weight, and make use of the soon to be available 93 octane.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X