This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy View Post
    So..... 21 days when the come from you hines right??
    No u will get it from me roughly 3-5 days old. If I sold you meat age 21 days it would be ridiculous prices .

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      So, I am just assuming, any dedicated refrigerator will work. As long as it stays between 29-35 degrees and stays closed 99% of the time.
      Humidity is also a factor . And you need to make sure the air is moving around. Our coolers are like wind tunnels sometimes .

Comment

Originally posted by Hines57 View Post
        Humidity is also a factor . And you need to make sure the air is moving around. Our coolers are like wind tunnels sometimes .
        So how do you simulate that at home?

I guess I need to read your link.

Comment

Bcoop thanks for all the help explaining this. I'll set you up good next time we do business

Comment

No u will get it from me roughly 3-5 days old. If I sold you meat age 21 days it would be ridiculous prices .
            cccrrrrraaaaaaaaaappppppppp

Ok, so. Bcoop when are you and hines going to get together to sell some aged beef ?

Comment

So..... 21 days when the come from you hines right??
              At the very least, is my opinion. But the next round of primals I get, will go for 6 weeks.

Hey Hines - I know you usually delete these when they sell. If you don't mind, leave this thread up, and I will have a mod change the title and make it a sticky at the top. I don't want to have to re type it all every time someone asks, and I put a lot of good info in here.

Just to be clear - I am NOT a USDA professional, and not liable for anything. . This is all knowledge I've gained from the industry I'm in. My father used to work for a butcher (50+ year ago), and a good friend/former coworker of mine runs the plant that supplies several large, national, chain steakhouses.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Look at that B, I helped you to get a better hookup...LOL

But for real.....thanks to both of you for the info and the hookup Hines

Comment

Randy you can cut the meat when you want . You don't have to age it . I have cut some 8 days old and were just fine

Comment

cccrrrrraaaaaaaaaappppppppp

Ok, so. Bcoop when are you and hines going to get together to sell some aged beef ?
                    I want to make sure you understand, you seem confused. When you get it from Hines, it will be less than a week old. He will mark the packages so you know exactly how old it is. If it is 5 days old when you get it, you will want to let it age for a MINIMUM of another 16 days, in the cryovac. 5+16= 21 days. Remember, 21 is the minimum. You could let it go for 4 weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks. The longer you let it age, the more tender it will be. Just dont let it go over 6 weeks. Make sense?

No problem, man. Food is my passion and I love talking about this stuff. I was VERY happy with my last haul, and will be getting more in the future. I'm trying to get my hands on some additional refrigerators so I can get much more at a time, age longer, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      I want to make sure you understand, you seem confused. When you get it from Hines, it will be less than a week old. He will mark the packages so you know exactly how old it is. If it is 5 days old when you get it, you will want to let it age for a MINIMUM of another 16 days, in the cryovac. 5+16= 21 days. Remember, 21 is the minimum. You could let it go for 4 weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks. The longer you let it age, the more tender it will be. Just dont let it go over 6 weeks. Make sense?

No problem, man. Food is my passion and I love talking about this stuff. I was VERY happy with my last haul, and will be getting more in the future. I'm trying to get my hands on some additional refrigerators so I can get much more at a time, age longer, etc.
                      Not confused, i thought i read that Hines' meats were 21 days old.... he clarified that, I must have read your post on it maybe and assumed it was him.(hope that makes sense). I love cooking and grilling, but ive never dealt with the aging process and honestly to me it's really interesting Im thinking of finding a fridge to age some myself.... BUT if youre willing to age it for me for the 21 day min. I would be happy to compensate you .

Also, Hines I know the meat will be perfectly fine, but I'm a grill nut and want to look more into this aging process. I will be in contact with you for some meats. Once I arm bar Bcoop into showing me the way, I will order even more to try it out on my own.

On a different note, I was at Kroger looking at the butchers cuts a while back and noticed a "clearance" section of meats, there was this guy there buying them all up. He then proceeded to tell me that the slight brownish tint to the meat is not a bad thing and it's actually better..... is this a round about way of getting "aged" meat?

Comment

Kroger meat is Tyson meat

Comment

Kroger meat is Tyson meat
                          It's good stuff, but pricey I dont mind the drive to meet up with you.

Comment

On a different note, I was at Kroger looking at the butchers cuts a while back and noticed a "clearance" section of meats, there was this guy there buying them all up. He then proceeded to tell me that the slight brownish tint to the meat is not a bad thing and it's actually better..... is this a round about way of getting "aged" meat?

I'd pass. Aging will change the color a bit. Particularly dry aging. But I'd be very cautious about buying anything brown in color from a big box grocery store. Typically, "clearance" meat is at te end of its shelf life. And from a grocer, it's absolutely not aged. Buying meat already aged is ridiculously expensive, because refrigerated storage isn't cheap, and it takes someone that knows what they are doing to monitor it correctly. That's why high end steak houses are so expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              I'd pass. Aging will change the color a bit. Particularly dry aging. But I'd be very cautious about buying anything brown in color from a big box grocery store. Typically, "clearance" meat is at te end of its shelf life. And from a grocer, it's absolutely not aged. Buying meat already aged is ridiculously expensive, because refrigerated storage isn't cheap, and it takes someone that knows what they are doing to monitor it correctly. That's why high end steak houses are so expensive.
                              I passed. Hey coop, off subject as well but what kind of knife you used to cut these things? What would you recommend?

Comment

I passed. Hey coop, off subject as well but what kind of knife you used to cut these things? What would you recommend?

I was going to start a new thread on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X