Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is your line on drawing your weapon on someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was having a conversation in this vein a little earlier. Back when I was 16 or 17, me, my mom, and my sister went to look at a car. Some shady little dump of a car lot in mexican town. This place had two entrances, one was a shared driveway with a warehouse out back. The main driveway was blocked by a car that wouldn't start, so we went in the shared entrance and parked behind the car that wouldn't start.

Guy that was showing us the car wouldn't touch it without rubber gloves on, so I am fairly sure that it was stolen. Bout the time we were getting ready to leave, a flatbed wrecker with a fairly new corvette came in the shared driveway, but it couldn't get by our parked car.

This guy came out of the warehouse and was extremely annoyed with us for blocking the path and desperate to get the corvette into his warehouse. We couldn't get out of here because the wrecker was blocking one driveway and the car that wouldn't start was blocking the other.

The wrecker driver was trying to be calm, but warehouse guy started screaming and told the wrecker to run us over if we didn't move. The car lot owner and the wrecker driver pushed the non running car out of the way and we got the fuck out of there.

In my eyes, the warehouse was likely a chop shop and was using the car lot to get rid of the junkier stolen cars. It was a bad situation and I feel lucky to have gotten out of there safely.

Me back then was just trying to get out of there, plus I was too young to have a gun. Me now, I probably would have drawn on him when he lost his shit and threatened to run me over.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      Let me propose a situation and see how most of you would handle it?
      You've been at work late near downtown and get off work a little after midnight and as you're driving home you realize you are almost out of gas..so you stop at the closest 7-11 deep in the hood to get gas (in this case its the 7-11 across from Wynewood shopping center at Illinois and Zang Blvd)..its dark...card reader isn't working at the pump so you go into the store to pay..you notice a crackhead hanging out close to the front of the store but staying out of the view of the store employees by staying out of view behind the brick wall. Crackhead speaks out as you are going in asking for money and you say no and then go in, prepay and come back out. You are the ONLY customer at the gas station. As you walk toward your vehicle you hear footsteps approaching fast from behind you and as you near your vehicle you glance in the side mirror and see said crackhead less than 5 feet from you coming up quickly from behind.
      What is your response?
      I lived in that hood for 5 years and never had a problem. I see more BS in the burbs. So in your "situation," the correct response is turn around, and yell, "I said no and step the fuck back."

If you ever let anyone that close to you with ill intentions, you're probably fucked anyway. Most crackheads are looking for an easy score. Don't be easy and you won't have problems.

You need to learn to say no in a way with a look on your face that says I will fucking hurt you. It's not being mean. It's a safety thing.

I've seen more shit at gas stations in the burbs then in the OC. OC is safe contrary to the BS rumors. I have more criminal wanna bes in my "good neighborhood." It's because the parents move here wanting better for their kids but the kids don't get it. They just want free shit these days and if they have to steal it that's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
        So in your "situation," the correct response is turn around, and yell, "I said no and step the fuck back."
        I was going to comment something along the same lines. Assert imeediate control of the situation by being loud and commanding. I would also assume the "Paul Blart Mall Cop" stance by pushing my left hand out and placing right hand on my pistol ready to draw. Make him know he's about to get into a world of hurt if he doesn't stop.

He keeps coming: Draw and level at chest

He keeps coming after that: Shoot until he is no longer a threat. Then call 911 for PD and Medics

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
          I was going to comment something along the same lines. Assert imeediate control of the situation by being loud and commanding. I would also assume the "Paul Blart Mall Cop" stance by pushing my left hand out and placing right hand on my pistol ready to draw. Make him know he's about to get into a world of hurt if he doesn't stop.

He keeps coming: Draw and level at chest

He keeps coming after that: Shoot until he is no longer a threat. Then call 911 for PD and Medics
          Exactly what I was going to say..

I haven't been in a situation out in public where I felt the need to draw, but it really depends on the situation.

Now, around the house investigating noises or whatnot, my pistol is in my hand. Pointed down with my finger outside of the trigger guard, of course.

Comment

By the way, I remember talking about this kind of thing in my CHL class. The instructor pointed out that drawing your weapon and not aiming it would be considered force, where aiming it would be considered deadly force. (In a general sense, of course, depending on the outside circumstances).

Comment

I've drawn once. I think I've shared the story before but I'll add it here. I was leaving Arby's (insert big Montana joke) on 377 in Keller. Not a bad area, several stores and a quick lube/tire shop surrounding it. As I get to my truck I hear tire squeal and turn to see a very rough looking early 2000 ford torus coming around the corner of the building opposite of designated traffic flow. A black guy yelling with the door already open as the car face my direction. I hop into my truck, grab Gun from console(not allowed to carry at work) and immediately draw on him. By that time he was 10ish feet from me on foot and hits the ground claiming he just wants directions. I tell him I don't know where he's going and can't help, Gun still aimed on him. He jumps in the car and takes off.

Did I have to draw? Maybe not. But there were enough things not right for me to be uncomfortable with what could be about to happen. I don't regret it. I'd do the same today.
              07 f250-family truckster
              08 Denali -baby hauler
              52 f1-rust bucket
              05 Jeep tj. Buggy
              livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                Exactly what I was going to say..

I haven't been in a situation out in public where I felt the need to draw, but it really depends on the situation.

Now, around the house investigating noises or whatnot, my pistol is in my hand. Pointed down with my finger outside of the trigger guard, of course.
                That's very interesting, either I don't recall that from my course, or it wasn't taught.

I'll amend my second step to draw down, the last step is the one I hope to never have to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                  You can't wait to shoot someone huh? I bet you want to shoot me right now
                  I see you're a bit 'tarded so I will refrain from further contact with you. Don't want the 'tard to wear off on me.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                    That's very interesting, either I don't recall that from my course, or it wasn't taught.

I'll amend my second step to draw down, the last step is the one I hope to never have to go to.
                    It wasn't necessarily a part of the curriculum but came up while discussion real life situations.

And I'm sure that would be subject to interpretation of a judge if a precedent hasn't already been set. I doubt it is spelled out that specifically in the law.

Oh wait, quick google:

Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE. The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.

I'm sure there is more detail, and I am definitely not a lawyer..

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      I see you're a bit 'tarded so I will refrain from further contact with you. Don't want the 'tard to wear off on me.
                      Calling someone retarded is very politically incorrect, exactly the type of response I expect out of a gun touting lunatic like yourself

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                        Calling someone retarded is very politically incorrect, exactly the type of response I expect out of a gun touting lunatic like yourself
                        Simmer down. Your extra chromosome is acting up.

Comment

This post reminds me of a situation that happened to me a few years back.

So I stopped by the DFW National Cemetery to visit my dads grave yesterday and minutes after getting there I hear a truck pulling up behind me. This isn't altogether unusual since he's buried near the street and near the beginning of that section so I'm used to it. But what was different was hearing someone coming up behind me

Comment

if i tell you where my line is, i'd have to kill you

Comment

I had a crackhead approach my car the other morning around 4:30 am at Forrest and Plano Rd. I told him to "fuck off" when he put his hands on my window and asked for money. I did lift my shirt to get easier access to my pistol, but nothing past that.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedblkgt View Post
                                I had a crackhead approach my car the other morning around 4:30 am at Forrest and Plano Rd. I told him to "fuck off" when he put his hands on my window and asked for money. I did lift my shirt to get easier access to my pistol, but nothing past that.
                                If I know I'm going to be in an iffy situation and I'm in the car, I'll usually have the gun out already; either in my lap or tucked in between my leg and the seat sorta sitting on it. This has been SOP for me for situations like ATM machines and drive thru's.

Comment

Working...
                                X