Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser engraving

Does anyone here do it?

I just bought a machine and wondered if there was anyone in the group that had experience and can give some tips.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

No tips for you but are you talking about part marking, etching or actual engraving? How many watts is your machine? I'd have some business for you if you can deep engrave ferrous materials.

Comment

It is a Hobby type machine at the moment. FSL muse. 20x12 area, though the floor can be removed to etch on larger pieces. It has a 40W CO2 laser. It can be upgraded to 45W.

Initial plan is mostly personalized wood pieces. Cutting boards, ornaments, etc.

From what I have gathered so far, it isn't powerful enough to etch most metals. Markings require a coating or anodized finish.

If we can prove proof of concept and establish a solid business with it, we will upgrade to more powerful/industrial oriented equipment

Comment

I've watched a ton of youtube videos, but haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet. My conscience thinks I should get the X-carve fully functional before adding more gadgets.

Same damn conscience that stops me from buying another car while the Chevelle is still a project.

Comment

Well, laser showed up yesterday. It took a while to focus and align the mirrors. Once that was done, did a quick test and called it a night.

This morning, I set out to figure out why it wasn't detecting the wireless netowork. Popped the side panel and found teh antenna was unplugged. So, I took it apart. Plugged it in, reassembled, hitvthe switch. I'll be damned if the touch screen became inop. So, back apart it went. Checked the touch screen connections, re-assembled, fingers crossed, and it worked.

It seems that until you start spending 10-20k on a machine, these types of things are common.

Anyway, here is our first piece. The end goal is a business based on the laser so most of this is geared towards products we can recreate and sell.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            Well, laser showed up yesterday. It took a while to focus and align the mirrors. Once that was done, did a quick test and called it a night.

This morning, I set out to figure out why it wasn't detecting the wireless netowork. Popped the side panel and found teh antenna was unplugged. So, I took it apart. Plugged it in, reassembled, hitvthe switch. I'll be damned if the touch screen became inop. So, back apart it went. Checked the touch screen connections, re-assembled, fingers crossed, and it worked.

It seems that until you start spending 10-20k on a machine, these types of things are common.

Anyway, here is our first piece. The end goal is a business based on the laser so most of this is geared towards products we can recreate and sell.

Looks good. I've considered a glowforge or dremel laser..but I have so very few uses for it that I'd probably just upgrade my CNC.

Are you trying to start a craft business?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              Looks good. I've considered a glowforge or dremel laser..but I have so very few uses for it that I'd probably just upgrade my CNC.

Are you trying to start a craft business?
              The wife has piddled with a personalization business for a few years. It was mostly vinyl, however, every Jenny on the block has a cricut and cuts shit for free dollars for their friends.

She seems to have found a passion for this, so, I am facilitating it.

Comment

The wife has piddled with a personalization business for a few years. It was mostly vinyl, however, every Jenny on the block has a cricut and cuts shit for free dollars for their friends.

She seems to have found a passion for this, so, I am facilitating it.

Awesome...the products you can offer with a laser certainly are a step above the fancy stickers.

I'm sure she will also end up with some of her own cool designs to sell that can be produced in quantity.

Comment

The bigger draw was that most people in our area aren't going to drop the $$ on the machine

Comment

The bigger draw was that most people in our area aren't going to drop the $$ on the machine

Yep. A lot of the decorative stuff I've made on my cnc would have benefited from a laser a lot. Its just waaaaay more work to do inlay than it is to burn wood or leather.

You can do all sorts of awesome cutting boards, serving boards...etc. really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      Yep. A lot of the decorative stuff I've made on my cnc would have benefited from a laser a lot. Its just waaaaay more work to do inlay than it is to burn wood or leather.

You can do all sorts of awesome cutting boards, serving boards...etc. really fast.
                      That board took about 45 minutes. We turned the power up on the walnut board we just did. Lots to learn, but there is a LOT of potential.

Our primary focus right now is Holiday stuff, hoping we can recoup our investment by the end of the year.

Comment

That board took about 45 minutes. We turned the power up on the walnut board we just did. Lots to learn, but there is a LOT of potential.

Our primary focus right now is Holiday stuff, hoping we can recoup our investment by the end of the year.

Sounds good. If you're looking for gift ideas, I made a few specialty cutting boards for BBQ fans. If you could make a premium version or personalized version of the board below it may be popular with the guys:

The ones I made were epoxy inlay because I dont have a laser for this. But they went well as gifts.

Comment

Friend of mine just did the logo for my side business in my cutting board. His machine is fairly big about the size of a small dinning room table.

Comment

I want that in or around my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                              I want that in or around my mouth.
                              LOL, it was pretty damn good, smoked and reverse seared for our 1 year wedding anniversary Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X