Destroying a Dodge Viper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destroying a Dodge Viper

Seems awfully wasteful, but apparently this is one of those manufacturer training vehicles that had to be completely destroyed when they were done with it.

Warning - MJ Fox was holding the camera....

70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

I felt sad, even though it's a fucking dodge.

Comment

Here's the second one they did....

70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

man, seems like a lot to just write off, considering that usually these get sent to a recycler.

I saw the three vettes that were hit at the fair roll through the other day...

A prospective customer at a ride-and-drive event in Texas today put a brand new 2014 Chevy Impala into a row of brand new 2014 Corvettes, significantly damaging at least three of the vehicles. Oops.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Man that was tough to watch.
          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
          http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
          Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
          http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
          www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
          sigpic

Comment

I'd say "FUCK THAT! I'M KEEPING ME A FREE VIPER!!"

"Yeah we destroyed it... sure boss...course we ground it up too so its all gone now...."
            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

"Yeah we destroyed it... sure boss...course we ground it up too so its all gone now...."
              This, is there a Rep on site or something? What would keep them from not destroying it or at least stripping it first?
              "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
              http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
              Factory Five MK4 Cobra
              Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
              http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
              www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

Chrysler Rep was there to oversee it and make sure it went into the dumpster.

It's crazy but I remember Ford doing this too. It has something to do with the way that the vehicle is written off....if it's for training purposes, they get 100% tax credit on it, but then once they've gotten that 100% credit it also means that they cannot realize any further benefit from that vehicle....like parting it out, re-donating it, etc.

IIRC the difference on a demo (manufacturer not dealer) vehicle is that they only get tax relief on the depreciation amount from those vehicles, so they are still intended to be sold once they are demo complete...just cannot be at full value....and most of those do end up with wholesalers or recyclers.
                70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                  This, is there a Rep on site or something? What would keep them from not destroying it or at least stripping it first?
                  that's the million (er, few thousand) dollar question. Im going to assume that the video is for documentation, but they didnt really do the vin or any of that.

We have to photograph document the car, dismantled, and then saw a section of the body out so that it couldnt be put back together. So three sets of pictures.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

When I was at Ford the training vehicles never had VIN's issued...not sure if that is still the case tho.
                    70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                      Chrysler Rep was there to oversee it and make sure it went into the dumpster.

It's crazy but I remember Ford doing this too. It has something to do with the way that the vehicle is written off....if it's for training purposes, they get 100% tax credit on it, but then once they've gotten that 100% credit it also means that they cannot realize any further benefit from that vehicle....like parting it out, re-donating it, etc.

IIRC the difference on a demo (manufacturer not dealer) vehicle is that they only get tax relief on the depreciation amount from those vehicles, so they are still intended to be sold once they are demo complete...just cannot be at full value....and most of those do end up with wholesalers or recyclers.
                      The Bullitt Mustang the ASSET program had at Brookhaven had to be destroyed.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Destroyed Vipers don't make me sad.

But destroyed Turbine cars do.

(google em, it's a cool story)

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          The Bullitt Mustang the ASSET program had at Brookhaven had to be destroyed.
                          Most of the Ford stuff these days just has a bunch of Xs in the VIN.

Comment

Sucks, but then again it's not like it's a #s 1968 Mustang 428 Cobra Jet

Comment

stopped at 15 secs, can't watch anymore.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X