Serious Tech: Older Ford Trucks - 351W Specific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Tech: Older Ford Trucks - 351W Specific

So i bought another bronco. Super clean lil truck out of Arkansas. A grandma bought it from another grandma type friend, to give to her grand daughter. Truck turned out to be too much for grand daughter, so they got her an H3.

Im off loading a lot of old junk i have laying around and I want to make this an efficient fun daily. It runs and drives fine, everything works on it. It does have a bit of an issue with the cooling system. as of right now i have a new water pump, thermostat and housing, and a timing cover gasket. thats just little shit i could think of one night while messing around on rockauto.com

(now we all know nay cant afford 1 wheel)

but IF you were to over haul the motor in the car, which i want to do in time. what parts should i be looking for used. as far as heads/cam/intake?

Now for the tech questions.. I keep reading that the 92+ motors? maf i assume are easier to mod. What do you do on the 5.8 trucks, can you use a mustang computer and maf swap it that way? is there any asy button to get out of speed density on a truck like this? i guess this is where i lose being on a mustang site all these years and never having a mustang.

Any other thoughts, troll posts, or general fuck you's are welcome as always.

here's a pic of the last 89 that i missed and prompted this purchase.

And a pic of the end goal if i can ever afford the second wheel.

THE BAD HOMBRE

It'd be cool to post this out in the tech forum, huh? People are going to come in here and shit all over this.

Comment

think it was serious? just wanted to show off my new rig.

it's posted on actual car forums.

Besides i think everyone is in hiding after this weekends KKK terror attacks.
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

you might as well put a new radiator in it, too!

Comment

I think the radiator is new. i was really wondering about lightning parts and the MAF vs. Speed Density thing. from what i understand these 89-91 5.8s are the most mechanically sound of all the truck motors, but speed density makes it tough to mod anything.
          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
            I think the radiator is new. i was really wondering about lightning parts and the MAF vs. Speed Density thing. from what i understand these 89-91 5.8s are the most mechanically sound of all the truck motors, but speed density makes it tough to mod anything.
            Don't read to much into the speed density issue

Just like the SD mustangs, as long as you don't go with some crazy big ass cam, intake or heads then you should be alright. SD will handle mild performance parts without affecting drivability too much

Comment

thats what i was hoping, even with the c6 trans, i dont hink I've ever even seen the tach hit 4,000 rpm yet, so torque is what i am after.

as it sits, it cruises in 3rd at 2500 rpm, what I assume to be 60ish mph.

so anything specific i should be looking at, im looking for used parts, except for maybe the cam, but what would be a decent TFS head to find used and clean up, and an intake? gt40? lightning? same thing?

I'm trying to keep it ford, even though a few people are LS swapping these things now, but i already have one of those headaches. not opening that can of worms on something i plan to drive daily.
              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

few more pics for craizie

THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

World products heads are really good, and these days are very cheap. But he warned, they move the spark plug close to the the exhaust side, you might be changing wires a lot. I have those heads on my old Cougar, they flow decent numbers, but I do keep extra spark plug wires in the trunk.

Sorry for the oddball post, whiskey is involved.

Comment

great advice.. thanks.

what about the intake? anything fomoco thats decent? and at what point do you need to jack with injectors? i actually think i have a few random sets of ford injectors laying around somewhere.
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

If you want neck snapping power I have a Vortech S trim for a Windsor. Send me an offer.

Comment

ok I bookmarked those.

What about a cam?

I'm reading here:

that the recommended cam for a Speed Density 351 is no bigger than 210 lift on a 114lsa. that cant be right is it? Is that simply a speed density issue? If so i ould leave the stock cam in. it has a nice lope as it, i just want it to breath better.

would a used lightning cam be a decent buy, or is it the same?
                        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Nloc.net gen1 forum for wealth of info on 5.8's. Search user Steve83 over there for every bronco specific pic, schematic, detail know to man

Comment

Stock mustang roller cam...
                            07 GT500
                            05 SRT10
                            88 turbocoupe T-bird
                            93 Cobra
                            86 coupe
                            Ducati 848

Comment

Working...
                            X