Low Impact Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Impact Options

I've been doing Insanity 5x-6x a week for the last 4 years. I have a bad back and it's finally catching up to me. I'm afraid I'll have to stop doing such a high impact cardo workout regularly and am looking for options. My wife does spin 6x a week at Zyn and I know that's a kick ass cardio workout. I lift dumbbells 2x a week on top of the Insanity and will continue that.

I had a discectomy and laminectomy (years of football) when I was 21. Now I'm 41 and if I push it in Insanity my back pain kills me.

I'm looking into rowing machines, Bowflex Max, Peleton (Peleton knockoffs), heater for my pool which will happen regardless.

Any other ideas for a great HIIT cardio type workout with low impact I'm missing? Thanks
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Kettlebell swings. Go heavy and it is a great HIIT workout. It would vastly strengthen your back but given past injuries not sure how well your back would hold up.
    1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
    TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
    Work In Progress

Comment

Kettlebells if done properly. Swimming is awesome and almost no impact as you can swim so hard you have to crawl out of the pool and the next day you are good to go again.

Comment

I prefer the elliptical for cardio, it doesn't impact the low back like running on concrete or the treadmill. Swimming is even better for a low-impact all body workout but add the pre and post prep.

Comment

I've been thinking of selling the treadmill for an elliptical for this very reason. I can jog on the treadmill for 2-3 days and will need a week break for the joints to recover.

Comment

Treadmills are only good for walking and walking at an incline IMHO. I get much less sore from running outdoors than from a treadmill.
            1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
            TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
            Work In Progress

Comment

If you are looking at Peleton get a real road bike, a smart trainer, and Zwift. That way you can bike outside if you want and the monthly fees for Zwift are cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                If you are looking at Peleton get a real road bike, a smart trainer, and Zwift. That way you can bike outside if you want and the monthly fees for Zwift are cheaper.
                This.

I took to cycling after my discectomy 6 years ago. I haven't had the time to ride lately, however, I was riding 100 plus miles a week with no issues.

If you maintain a solid core strength, you won't have any issues on the bike. Just be sure to get a proper fit if you go that route

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I love to swim and it is a fantastic workout, but you for sure need to do it right to get your cardio on. Probably the best thing I did in high school was join the swim team. If I buy this bike today it will be the ultimate low impact! Looking at a recumbent trike. When I broke my arm back in 03 I bought one and it was a blast to ride around. Tech has greatly improved on them since then. Bad thing is I just had my Trek 7.5 FX tuned up, new chain, BB, and raised the stem about two inches. It should come back this week riding all dreamy. As much as I love the recumbents, still a different work out going from bike to bike, but we shall see if the Trek survives.

Oh and if you get a rower, get a water rower. Thing is super quiet, stands up like a piece of furniture against the wall, and the gentle water swooshing is relaxing, or you can just watch TV.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Like, super low impact. I feel like, my little stereo looks like a boom box from the old days!

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I bought a concept 2 row machine a month ago and love it so far.

Comment

We're all getting old. Before long we'll be talking RVs, retirement homes, and who has the best supper at 3pm.

Comment

Working...
                        X