Joined the cult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joined the cult

So after 3 different $300 gas grills in 10 years, I said screw it and bought a XL BGE. No more gas grill for now (I'll have another some day) but for now it's just the egg and the smoker.

Bye bye old and busted...

Hello new egg that should last a long ass time!

Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Congrats

I picked up a primo XL and freaking love it. Had it about a month. Smoked 1st brisket on it for thanksgiving. Talk about EFFICIENT.

Enjoy it

Comment

You do a lot of grilling?

There was some other company that another (crap who was that... Kingjason?) posted up and they had some really nice looking ones that looked like they operated in the same way.
      WH

Comment

Can't go wrong with any of the ceramic grills. My old neighbor had one, but used it like a cheap charcoal grill, he never closed the dome!

Go to Costco, stock up on steaks!

Comment

Wife got me a Kamado Joe last month for birthday / Christmas. I'm on the learning curve but quite happy with it. I got it up to 650 a few nights ago to sear off some ribeye. Dropped it back down to 500 and then finished them off 5 minutes per side (fairly thick) and viola. I've noticed it does a great job locking in juices better than most grills so far.

I'm looking at getting some prime sirloin soon and smoking it and seeing how that turns out.

Comment

Hell my buddy even has a Weber Gold that works like a champ. He hasn't tried to smoke with it and not sure the longevity is there but still works good. My wife absolutely fing hates lighting a charcoal grill!

Loveeeeee my BGE thought.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

So is the general idea here... that the food turns out tastier?

I just have the old style propane grill right now.
              WH

Comment

I'm a huge fan of it so far. I've done steaks and chicken breast on it which all turned out fantastic just using it as a grill.

Using it as a smoker first I did a whole chicken on it as we tend to eat that a lot around my house, and it turned out great. Usually on my smoker it will take 4-5 hours for me to smoke a chicken, still nice and juicy and tender with a good smokey flavor my family loves. On the Egg it only took like 2.5 hours at 275 dome temp (250 on the grate) indirect with the plate setter and was even more juicy and tender but not nearly as much smoke flavor. The whole family agreed it was delicious and far easier for me to cook, but not as good as the smoker for "smoked chicken". For that cook I used BGE charcoal and lumps of hickory and mesquite mixed into the charcoal.

Next I decided I wanted to smoke some beef plate ribs so I got a 4 bone 4.45lb rack of beef ribs and a rack of St. Louis pork ribs. I originally wanted to do them on the smoker but decided I'd try it in the egg... I would normally have to cook it 7-10 hours low and slow on the smoker so that's what I planned for on the egg and it was done way faster, probably around 4 hours! The ribs were great, tender and perfectly seasoned and cooked but again the smoke flavor wasn't there near as much despite using lots of wood.

Then a few days ago I put another whole chicken on it to make smoked chicken noodle soup (awesome). That came out excellent, but since I put the whole bird in the soup after 2 hours on the BGE it's hard to say how the chicken was on it's own.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to do the ham for Christmas Eve dinner and my sister requested I smoke it. My wife asked me to use the regular smoker, which I agree with... better give the large family what they are used to and not take chances with a big meal.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  So is the general idea here... that the food turns out tastier?
                  Your propane grill is just that a grill. Basically a gas powered broiler with the flame under neath. The BGEs use natural wood charcoal and offer fairly precise temperature control and they are very efficient. I've never personally used one but I'd imagine it's like basically cooking in an oven but with tons of space and the capability of getting extremely hot and adding smoke flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    Your propane grill is just that a grill. Basically a gas powered broiler with the flame under neath. The BGEs use natural wood charcoal and offer fairly precise temperature control and they are very efficient. I've never personally used one but I'd imagine it's like basically cooking in an oven but with tons of space and the capability of getting extremely hot and adding smoke flavor.
                    Pretty much but I'd dispute the "tons of space"... My XL isn't any bigger than my oven. In fact, it's likely a touch smaller but you can get some accessories to add a second rack or move it up higher into the dome, etc.

It's VERY efficient, and the ceramic build maintains heat very well at both low temps and very high temps.

Stevo

Comment

Tons of usable space then especially with a rack system.

Comment

Welcome. I've also got an XL. Added the adjustable rack/woo with the slide out shelves. I like the slide out shelves, but fuck it's expensive. If I had it to do again, I'd probably make my own, fixed shelves, with stuff from the hardware store. There's a good BGE group on FB, where they share recipes and tips. Honestly it's good for anyone with any brand Kamado. There are some real goobers but there are also some pretty talented and knowledgeable people in there.

I've got Andouille smoking on mine right now. It's going in a pot of gumbo.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Nice, how'd it turn out?

I went to the ceramic grill store over in Denton and talked to the guy who makes the adjustable racks. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable. He showed me around the shop in the back where they make all the racks and such. After seeing all that, I can see why it's expensive, he really puts a lot into them.

I plan to get one soon, but I just spent $500 tonight on a new tool chest from Home Depot so it might be a while.

Stevo

Comment

The andouille was fantastic. Wasn't sure how it would turn out since I couldn't cold smoke it. I'm not sure what is different about andouille but within a minute, it will contract and shrivel up if you don't pull it off and put it straight in to an ice bath.

I fell asleep with the gumbo on though, so pot #2 is on right now.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Got some T bones at HEB while I was in San Antonio that I will be cooking up in the Kamado Joe big Joe this weekend. They are about 18 oz each. It should be fun. I also got a pitmaster IQ temperature controller for Christmas. I can't wait to try it while using the Joe for lot and slow cooking. It seems like a pretty neat device. I need to go to the meat market and buy something smoke worthy.

Gumbo..... so tell me about your roux? I usually steal some from my mother in law, because I don't have the patience it takes to make awesome roux. And gumbo without great roux, just ain't gumbo. The best bowl of gumbo I've ever had is the venison gumbo at Luke which is seasonal.
                              Last edited by AnthonyS; 01-04-2017, 07:56 PM. Reason: add stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X