MTB guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTB guys?

Well, in an interest to keep my ADHD in check and keep my but riding, I have been accumulating a variety of bikes. Also I am thinking with all the freaking mountain bike trails in the metroplex it makes more sense then buying another dirt bike for now.

I was contemplating one of the electric, decked out bikes, but wanted to get my feet wet first. I bought a Bikesdirect, pre-spring sale bike, even after the sale! It was retail of "5500" or so and I paid 1299.00. Now I know they are inflated usually but most were like 1200.00 compare at 2500-3500, so I figured why not. I was Amazon shopping the main parts only on the bike and they were way up there. And before people start bitching about support the local guy, I have bought three bikes in the last year from the local guy. The funny part is while they all touted their mechanics, all the bikes have had build issues I corrected. I shit you not, I bought the fastest recumbent trike built in the world so to speak and the front in sprocket fell the F off while riding. Plus most places, the starting mountain bike with full suspension was over two grand and I can honestly work on my own shit.

So any really good trail recommendations around DFW? Tips and tricks? Last time I rode was Boulder a little, and tried to kill myself at Cedar Hill around the year 2000, so twice and I was out. Mind you I was twice the size I am now and it was 105 degrees.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I used to ride River Legacy a lot, and if you want to get further out then Solavaca Ranch is pretty cool (or was when I was riding)

Comment

Erwin park up here in McKinney is nice.

I rode one of the electric bikes with a constant cadence CVT and that thing was such an amazing feeling. I felt like I was barely trying and I hit 35 mph no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          It may happen.

Holy shit this 29er is tall and the suspension is damn near like a dirt bike. I could assemble another in 30 minutes or less. I am going to jack around at Waxahachie in a minute. Although some of their trails drop about 20 feet into the creek. I think you have to intentionally go that way though. I wouldn't blink an eye on a dirt bike, but power on demand is a little different than ole pedal power.
          Last edited by kingjason; 03-06-2019, 02:31 PM.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

River Legacy was my go to as well when I lived in DFW. If you ever venture out west San Angelo State Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park are both great for riding.

Comment

But did you die...............

That was a good time and nothing tried to kill me. The one little narrow bridge coming back could have been bad but I had just enough momentum to get up the hill on the other side. Right at 10 miles on the dirt trails. 7.8 mph boys woot woot but not sure how well Strava reacts when you stop, as I did take a break. I did pass a young couple out riding so that may me feel less old. Going to order some five tens today and flat pedals. After today I am a believer in not being clipped in. I think that is what made me bust my but before. It is nice to put a foot down quick. Bike rode fantastic but I am far from the MTB expert. I did notice I had the front fork locked.............on the way back from the end. Road even better after I released it. A heart rate monitor would have been interesting.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                River Legacy was my go to as well when I lived in DFW. If you ever venture out west San Angelo State Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park are both great for riding.
                I went out to San Angelo State Park a couple of years back and it was amazing. Like 50 miles worth of trails I think? I did like 20. I don't bike much, mostly at local parks like Cedar Hill and River Legacy but San Angelo was a nice change of pace. Definitely want to go there again.

Here are some links for State Parks for anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  But did you die...............
                  Actually I did... 3 years ago today

Comment

Some pics from San Angelo State Park.

Comment

There used to be a lake out in the background.

Last edited by Jose; 03-06-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I looked into those quiet kats to use for going out to the stands and checking cameras. They seem like an awesome idea no sound and no scent but damn 2k for a cheap one!

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                          I went out to San Angelo State Park a couple of years back and it was amazing. Like 50 miles worth of trails I think? I did like 20.
                          Yea its like 40 or 50 miles of trails. Looks like you were at the south park from the pics, thats the better end of the trails, but if you go back camping is better at the north park. Campsites are in the trees, looks like a completely different place than the south one.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                            Yea its like 40 or 50 miles of trails. Looks like you were at the south park from the pics, thats the better end of the trails, but if you go back camping is better at the north park. Campsites are in the trees, looks like a completely different place than the south one.
                            Correct, we were on the south side of the park, never made it to the north side to check it out but good to know. We left late in the morning and got there in the afternoon and setup camp and relaxed. Spent the next day riding and the temps dropped that night and we woke up to freezing temps and packed up and left. Next time we'll definitely have to camp on the north side.

What's up with the lake BTW? No idea if it's still like that but it was pretty much just mud near the middle and looks like it had been dry for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                              What's up with the lake BTW? No idea if it's still like that but it was pretty much just mud near the middle and looks like it had been dry for a while.
                              It hasn't had water my entire life, there is 3 "lakes" in San Angelo and from what I understand they use that one and Twin Buttes to keep Nasworthy on the south side of town at a constant level. There is some more trails that run between Nasworthy and Twin Buttes, but they allow dirt bikes and such on those so I've never ridden them.

Comment

Working...
                              X