Stupid gun buying question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid gun buying question

So my buddy's birthday is this weekend and his wife wants to buy him a 1911. If she buys him one to give to him, how does that workout? Is that considered a straw purchase? How does it work if it's a gift? And what if it's a private sale?

no its not a straw purchase

Comment

Cool. I've never bought a gun for another person.. Actually I have for my dad but it's been a while. Anyway thanks for clarifying that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        Cool. I've never bought a gun for another person.. Actually I have for my dad but it's been a while. Anyway thanks for clarifying that.
        If he's not a felon.....no issue.

Comment

How's one fill out a 4473, question 11a:
          Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.

Just curious how all that works, and giving as a gift.
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

You fill out the 4473 for yourself. You are the initial reciepent of the firearm. Gifting a gun you just bought to a family member is perfectly fine.

You aren't acquiring it on their "behalf". They have no knowledge, and even if they did - they aren't paying you for the gun, so you are still the buyer.
            2012 GT500

Comment

As everyone said, it's no issue.

But, let her know that some stores that have "policies" against selling a firearm to a person that intends to give it as a gift unless they are a minor. She may want to keep that part to herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                You fill out the 4473 for yourself. You are the initial reciepent of the firearm. Gifting a gun you just bought to a family member is perfectly fine.

You aren't acquiring it on their "behalf". They have no knowledge, and even if they did - they aren't paying you for the gun, so you are still the buyer.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                  How's one fill out a 4473, question 11a:
                  Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.

Just curious how all that works, and giving as a gift.
                  Originally posted by Cobraman View Post

THIS! I couldn't remember the exact language but this is what I was concerned about and thanks everybody for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                    As everyone said, it's no issue.

But, let her know that some stores that have "policies" against selling a firearm to a person that intends to give it as a gift unless they are a minor. She may want to keep that part to herself.
                    Which is why I brought up the whole subject. It may look a little odd a short Mexican lady buying a full size 1911 Especially and possible from a private seller.

Comment

Wife buying for husband: The gun is still 'marital' property and really belongs to both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        Wife buying for husband: The gun is still 'marital' property and really belongs to both of them.
                        Good answer. Just don't want any problems since I'm going with her but I'm not buying and it's not for me. You never know if the seller is going to get antsy about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                          Good answer. Just don't want any problems since I'm going with her but I'm not buying and it's not for me. You never know if the seller is going to get antsy about anything.
                          She could gift you the cash, you could buy it, gift it to her so she can gift it to her husband.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            She could gift you the cash, you could buy it, gift it to her so she can gift it to her husband.
                            Yea, I wouldn't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                              Yea, I wouldn't do that.
                              Ya LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X