We're building a house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
    I didnt care about the media room, we have one now that we never use. The wife thought it would be a great idea, then when we saw the price, she changed her mind quick!

I was in for a third bay and extended depth, but it was crazy expensive. I also didnt want to build the most expensive house on the street.

That's the part I wanted the most. It's right down the road from the shop (that I quit dec 31st)
    I just found out about that the other day.. I'm sure it sucks having had the shop available all this time, then not.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dad View Post
      I don't know if a garage adds value ..

when I sold my house in Texas ,I had a attached 2 car and a

30 x 30 unattached with 11 foot side walls , all finished and nice, had heat and air in it

was hard to sell and I only had one offer and it was a low one

realtor told me the shop added nothing for value
      Probably depends on the area. That said, it may not add to the sales value, but sure adds value for the guy using the place!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
        I just found out about that the other day.. I'm sure it sucks having had the shop available all this time, then not.
        It'll suck a lot less in a few months when I have my own. Im already planning out where I want the doors, lift, etc.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Congrats DJ!

Comment

Thanks!
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Congrats!

My wife and I got lucky and some one had backed out on the home plans, we got the 3.5 car garage and the media room for free because whoever initially put money down on the lot and design backed out before ground breaking.

One thing I was able to negotiate was the concrete pour on the driveway, I was able to get ours widened at no cost

I also reccomend thinking through closet locations. Our builders blue print had no downstairs coat closet, something my wife and I picked up during first walk through after initial framing

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                Congrats!

My wife and I got lucky and some one had backed out on the home plans, we got the 3.5 car garage and the media room for free because whoever initially put money down on the lot and design backed out before ground breaking.

One thing I was able to negotiate was the concrete pour on the driveway, I was able to get ours widened at no cost

I also reccomend thinking through closet locations. Our builders blue print had no downstairs coat closet, something my wife and I picked up during first walk through after initial framing
                These are built with nice, wide driveways, and with the side entry, there's plenty of space in the drive. We found a couple of doorways to have put it, like from the master closet to the laundry room, and a door for "attic access" to the area that would be the media room. Im trying to get a double door there, in case I get a wild hair and finish that media room out myself.

We did a few things that arent on the option list, like extending the island in the kitchen two feet. It's only long enough for 3 places, I wanted 4.

Comment

It'll suck a lot less in a few months when I have my own. Im already planning out where I want the doors, lift, etc.
                  The side dealer?

Comment

I didnt care about the media room, we have one now that we never use. The wife thought it would be a great idea, then when we saw the price, she changed her mind quick!

Well, I don't have room in my garages to work, and no shop...so we watch too many movies? It would be less important if I had a shop. Wah!
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Make sure you point it the right direction for the sun if you have the flexibility! I guess North would be best so you can have the door(s) open without letting sun inside..

Comment

The only other thing that really sucked was going to the whole sale designers stuff. Picking out the carpets, counter tops and bricks etc

They rushed us pretty hard through the walk through selections, so it's a good idea to try to get an idea of the standard and upgrade styles you have available for things like fixtures and carpets before hand. When you have 5 minutes to decide what floor you want in the bathroom for the rest of your life it's kind of a stressful situation

Also we did not upgrade the carpet and we both really wish we would have. The standard stuff seemed thick and fluffy initially but after only a few months even not being used it's gotten stiff and crushed. Some of the premium stuff stays much nicer and doesn't get matted quickly

Comment

I would gladly pay $8k right now to add a third bay in my two-car garage. Suburban-home garages are so small

Comment

Very nice digs.

Like Chili stated, I learned from my first two houses that I bought and on my third I had specific needs, like house location, it had to face the south. Most master bedrooms are towards the back of the house, so I needed that room to back up to the north as well as my patio, no direct sun baking that room or my patio.
                            On the carpet, you need to upgrade for the good freize (sp?) type that will last 10 years or more, no need to skimp here, trust me. Also tile and wood flooring are your friends.
                            I know you said you have a shop, but a third car garage is mandatory, the extra room is worth it, ask me how I know.
                            I'm not familiar with that builder, but make sure you get a H.E.R.S. rating or they offer that, my H.E.R.S is very low and my electric bill is under $150.00 in the summer with the A/C set at 72 during the day and 68 at night. In the winter my elec. bill has been under $80.00.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              Make sure you point it the right direction for the sun if you have the flexibility! I guess North would be best so you can have the door(s) open without letting sun inside..
                              the garage door will face north and very slightly west. Back porch faces eastish.
                              Originally posted by 4king View Post
                              The only other thing that really sucked was going to the whole sale designers stuff. Picking out the carpets, counter tops and bricks etc

They rushed us pretty hard through the walk through selections, so it's a good idea to try to get an idea of the standard and upgrade styles you have available for things like fixtures and carpets before hand. When you have 5 minutes to decide what floor you want in the bathroom for the rest of your life it's kind of a stressful situation

Also we did not upgrade the carpet and we both really wish we would have. The standard stuff seemed thick and fluffy initially but after only a few months even not being used it's gotten stiff and crushed. Some of the premium stuff stays much nicer and doesn't get matted quickly
                              we did that Sunday. It really sucked, but my wife and I both tend to like similar things, so it went reasonably well. We didnt upgrade much since the upgrades/colors kinda sucked, and werent worth paying extra for. Id didnt like the granite color selection, but the upgrade colors sucked just as bad...

Carpet is only in the upstairs and bedrooms, and the stairs since I couldnt convince the wife to do anything otherwise. The entry and living areas are wood-look tile, and the kitchen/breakfast is a 18x18 ceramic.

But you're 100% right, it sucks trying to decide on everything, color of cabinets in the bathrooms, tile color in the shower, etc. We ended up doing mostly everything the same with the exception of tile size for the wet walls. Same color, just 13x13.

Comment

Congrats!!! Prepare yourself for the ass beating that is to come, it was extremely stressful for me but worth it once everything was hashed out.
                                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Working...
                                X