Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you are in a vastly different career than where you thought you'd be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
    I made it all the way to the end, then they dropped me after the oral review board because they felt that I was being untruthful on one of my answers. After that I said fuck it.
    I've got a close friend that applied to probably 15 different cities around the metroplex. He got to the oral review a few times, didn't get past the first round a few times and got dropped somewhere in the middle the other times. He's a jailer now.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
      I made it all the way to the end, then they dropped me after the oral review board because they felt that I was being untruthful on one of my answers. After that I said fuck it.
      If I would have had to do a real oral board for my first job in LE I would have probably never made it. It is not a perfect system. I have seen guys on oral boards over the years, proud that they got to someone. The applicant tries at the next agency and gets doubted because of the previous oral board, it is a viscous cycle. Takes a lot to change the culture at a PD, and some never learn or change.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        I always knew I'd be in the IT/Technology field, just didn't know that I'd be more on the Customer Delivery/Leadership side vs the technical side. I was always technical, and felt that I would always be the guy behind the keyboard making things work. I've started a few of my own businesses along the way but they never really grew legs enough for me to feel comfortable and I always found myself back working for someone else in technology.

In 2009 I took a leap into Big IT with Perot Systems, as a Systems Engineer, and through two buyouts to Dell and NTT, I moved up into a Senior Leader role managing an organization of 400 engineers and 12 managers. I moved on to lead the IT team for a major hotel chain for a year and a half, then they were bought out, and my role was going to be eliminated.

Luckily when that happened I was presented with an opportunity to help a friend and previous business partner build up his business and joined as a partner. It's been a great journey and I've learned a lot, we balance the line between traditional IT and Manufacturing technology and get to get involved in a lot of cool stuff on the manufacturing side. However the travel is too much for me. Right now I have an iron in the fire to join, in my opinion, one of the biggest bleeding edge technology innovators on the planet. I've made it through a rigorous interview process and should hear a final decision early next week.
        Well good news came today. I'll be leaving my current company and heading to Amazon Web Services next month to take on some new challenges.

Comment

Well good news came today. I'll be leaving my current company and heading to Amazon Web Services next month to take on some new challenges.
          I challenge you to turn it down! Jeff Bezos... ramble.. ramble.... ramble!

Comment

Congrats! AWS seems to be everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
              I challenge you to turn it down! Jeff Bezos... ramble.. ramble.... ramble!
              This was in the works so that's why I had to challenge Paul's buddy

Comment

Booo, traitor!

<---gotta sell that Azure

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  Booo, traitor!

<---gotta sell that Azure
                  I spent my time at MS back in 2003

Still got some friends there, one is an escalation engineer in Directory Services, and another is a TSP.

I like Azure, and there are some very MS only stuff that Azure can accomplish for folks. I'll be on the Delivery side with AWS, less sales.

Comment

I spent my time at MS back in 2003

Still got some friends there, one is an escalation engineer in Directory Services, and another is a TSP.

I like Azure, and there are some very MS only stuff that Azure can accomplish for folks. I'll be on the Delivery side with AWS, less sales.
                    You're driving a truck! Cool, I order a lot, you may be dropping shit off at my house.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      You're driving a truck! Cool, I order a lot, you may be dropping shit off at my house.
                      no no, flying the new Amazon Prime One plane

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                        Congrats homie.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          Moving or staying in place?

Comment

• It's a work from home and travel to customer sites occassionally gig. So that's nice

Comment

• I started in broadcasting - Radio when I was 14 yrs old. Thought i'd be in it for life. After 20 years I said F-it! i Was done. Was a fun job, lots of benefits, free concerts, free access to all the hot clubs, etc.

Gave 30 days notice I was going to quit and move to Texas. Could not find a job as I was only really qualified for broadcasting LOL. Did that in DFW for a couple of years and started doing updates on a Sun Solaris Unix IVR at the radio station. 2 hours a night every other night. Got a full time salary outa that suckah! No brainer. 6-8 hours a week!

Bored during the day so I got into tech support. Now am a Tech Support Operations Manager for a fortune 500 Co. making quite a bit more. Work from home 350 days a year. Just pop into 1 of my 2 offices every 6 months or so to say hi and see what people really look like lol.

Comment

• 41 years old, in same business for over 30 of that.....
                                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Working...
                                X