No announcement yet.

Custom Door Panels for my '66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks great, Blake! I would be proud to sport them. They go great with your seats.

Comment

That’s very impressive, nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
        I wanted something different.
        So I did this.
        Hell yeah, that's badass. Well done!

Got my mom's memorial service/party this Saturday. It's been a rough couple of months.
        Sorry to hear that

Comment

Very nice!
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

This pink foam is sensitive! I already know it's not going to be as impact resistant as I would like, though several coats of that primer did give it some armor. Also, everything makes this foam melt. It was tricky to apply the cement necessary to stick the vinyl down without melting parts, and I still managed to do so a little bit.

V2.0 of this project will probably include some fiberglass mold making to land me with a more durable structure, but for now I'm very happy with the results.

Was using that pink foam a must? Anything else that could have been used instead, that would be more durable?
            WH

Comment

Very nice work sir, interior and upholstery is an art and you've made a great looking pair of panels

Comment

Those are very nice. I tried this on my fox and gave up so I certainly commend you.

I would hazard you to not use hot glue on the car though. I had it re-melt in this Texas heat on a couple interior projects of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  Was using that pink foam a must? Anything else that could have been used instead, that would be more durable?
                  Wood?

Comment

Those panels look good. Hopefully, they will hold up to the abuse they will get.

Comment

The times I've seen it used has been in form and mold creation.

Comment

I just need to finish up the A/C install, but nobody has thrown a free compressor, dryer and lines at me yet. So I'll just keep sweating. Maybe next summer.
                        Lines are not a problem, neither is the dryer. Just gotta wait until sept.

Comment

If you have trouble with the pink foam, IF they vinyl comes off without ruining the shape when the time comes, use a spray adhesive that wont attack the plastic, put a layer of aluminum foil over the foam, and then glass over top of it.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Man, you guys are the fuckin' best. I appreciate the encouragement.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                            Sorry to hear that
                            Thanks homie. Sucks for sure. This project has been a bit of garage therapy for me.

Great question. The challenge has been finding something that can be shaped, but also be sturdy. I thought it might work with some of that dense foam like is used for mats under weight benches and that sort of thing, but it didn't shape worth a damn. Sure would hold up though.

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
                            I would hazard you to not use hot glue on the car though. I had it re-melt in this Texas heat on a couple interior projects of my own.
                            Great point. I only used it in small dots to hold pieces that had wood glue elsewhere to hold it firm while the regular glue set. That's worth mentioning though.

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                            The times I've seen it used has been in form and mold creation.
                            Which I think is the ultimate next step for this project. I'll enjoy what I've got for a while, and when I get bored and forget what a PITA this was, I'll step up to mold creation, lol.

Originally posted by fitzwell View Post
                            Lines are not a problem, neither is the dryer. Just gotta wait until sept.
                            Yessir. It'll get there.

Comment

Looks great
                              WRX

Comment

Looks great Blake. It looks like it belongs in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X