Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s your streaming device preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my PS4 and one of the Roku's (not sure which one). The Roku is pretty easy to use and with certain cable providers you can actually use it as a cable box. I use it in a few rooms that I don't have a cable box in for Spectrum and am able to watch live tv with it.

Comment

Abecx on PC.

Comment

We use apple TV, but I honestly probably watch most things on my ipad unless its a movie or sports.

Comment

We have a few smart TVs with Roku or other stuff built in, but we use a FireTV Cube in the den and a stick in the bedroom. Both work fine.

As for the cost question someone asked, my DTV promo ran out recently. My bill for unlimited internet and DTV with HD, DVR, 4 wireless receivers, etc. went from $110 to $196. I kept same internet and bundled with my cell service for $20 a month. I have YouTube TV for $50 per month now plus an OTA antenna if needed. Been a few weeks now and we are totally happy.

Comment

I have an X Box One X I used to use until Spectrum sold me an Apple TV. I of course also have a chromecast, a couple of Roku boxes and a a couple TVs with Android's OS on them.

None of them are perfect but the Apple TV gets the closest for me. The Roku is cheap and has all the same services minus the Apple stuff of course but it won't automatically start the next show for any of the apps. The firestick and chromecast devices don't seem to stream as smoothly and I'm guessing it's due to a lack of buffering. That and you're using wifi, I'm sure you can do ethernet now but not on the devices I have.

Xbox's system works fine but it's an Xbox first and you have to navigate a few menus to get where you want to go. That and I'd imagine it's using a lot more power than the smaller devices because the hardware is absolute overkill for just streaming TV.

Now what the Apple TV does that sets them apart in my opinion is say you're watching a series on Netflix but they only have the first two seasons while AMC, FXX or whatever else has the rest of them on their platform. The Apple TV actually will either open that app and continue playing or they'll prompt you to install it if you don't already have it. If it's on multiple services they'll give you the option of which to use.

The Android TV, Firestick and Xbox will send you to their store and try to get you to buy it from them. Apple will also sell it to you if they have it but you get to at least see where it might be free from other sources.

The Android TVs were cool when new but they pretty much never keep up with OS updates will be obsolete in a couple of years. Kind of defeating the purpose of a smart TV in the first place. I really just want a dumb TV but with 4K and HDR and use the Apple box to run it but I don't think anyone offers that any more.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
              As for the cost question someone asked, my DTV promo ran out recently. My bill for unlimited internet and DTV with HD, DVR, 4 wireless receivers, etc. went from $110 to $196. I kept same internet and bundled with my cell service for $20 a month. I have YouTube TV for $50 per month now plus an OTA antenna if needed. Been a few weeks now and we are totally happy.
              You have pretty much everything I have with DTV, my cost is similar. I've been to peoples houses that have cut the cord, the TV part isn't very clear and often freezes and lots of pixelation. I watch TV more than I internet and I want a clear picture at all times. I don't internet much or stream so I guess it works for me.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                You have pretty much everything I have with DTV, my cost is similar. I've been to peoples houses that have cut the cord, the TV part isn't very clear and often freezes and lots of pixelation. I watch TV more than I internet and I want a clear picture at all times. I don't internet much or stream so I guess it works for me.
                When it was just over $100 for DTV and internet, I was fine. When it went to $200, I was not. The YouTube TV looks great and we have not had any problems so far. It also works well on the phone when I'm out of town. The only thing I could see being a problem in the near future is bandwidth if we all stream different shows at once. I have the maximum speed I can get currently, but we have not all streamed simultaneously yet. Hopefully it will not be a problem. I do not stream 4K though.

Comment

We still have and use an original version of the Fire TV and it works great. I have heard about the lagging on the 4k version, and definitely notice it when we use the firestick on the bedroom TV.

That said, I just bought a new Visio 50" Smart TV for the shop and really like it's functionality.

Comment

I have a newer LG TV, and it has Disney+ available. It also has most of the apps I would normally use, like Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Spotify, Sirius, etc. Oddly enough, it doesn't support ESPN+, so I have to use my PS4 Pro for that. It's a minor pain in the ass to switch over. I also have an Xbox One X that I haven't ever even turned on other than to get it connected to the network. I have an AppleTV as well, but stopped using it once I got the new LG TV. We still primarily watch DirecTV or Blurays.

Comment

i use a Nvidia Shield, Roku, and a Samsung smart tv. they are hooked up in various rooms in my house

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                        A quality OTA antenna will get rock solid, high-definition local channels. We use an amplified set of rabbit ears in the attic. I have large outdoor antenna that will replace it soon to get rid of the electric draw. Sports on the antenna are much better than over cable or an internet app.

A wireless connection to the streaming device usually produces a good picture. When internet is slower than normal it can pixellate, or, even stop. It happens sometimes.

In the near future I plan to run a Cat6 wire to every location in the house and upgrade the wireless with a multiple station system. This won't help when internet slows down but it should help keep a good picture by having a constant strong connection to the device.

Normally the internet is good here. There has been no cable TV in this house for about 10 years. Amazon, Sling, Hulu, Netflix, and the antenna provide better than DTV.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                          i use an Nvidia Shield, Roku, and a Samsung smart tv. they are hooked up in various rooms in my house
                          Can you speak more on this Nvidia device? I keep seeing it advertise on Facebook and after going on their website, it looks really cool. I always remember Nvidia being a video card on old PC's. lol

Comment

AMZ Firestick here on Samsung Smart TVs... works pretty good for us but our Wireless Broadband is the bottleneck keeping the system from performing at its potential....

faster download speed would help I'm sure but since it already works OK... and I'm a tight (cheap) ass... I'm living with it for now.

mardyn

Comment

Anyone use the soundbar streaming device?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                                Can you speak more on this Nvidia device? I keep seeing it advertise on Facebook and after going on their website, it looks really cool. I always remember Nvidia being a video card on old PC's. lol
                                built in chromecast, use as a multimedia device, amazing 4k, its more customizable, way more content, plays video games, and its really fast.

A new remote and smarter AI-controlled upscaling shows there's nothing artificial about this long-awaited refresh

Comment

Working...
                                X