No announcement yet.

Joined the cult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, it's a roux... so flour and oil. But yes, it definitely takes a lot of patience and practice. There's a very fine line between a good chocolate colored roux, and a burned roux. Almost a matter of seconds really. My roux could be slightly better if I made gumbo more often. But as it is, I only make it once a winter or so.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      I mean, it's a roux... so flour and oil. But yes, it definitely takes a lot of patience and practice. There's a very fine line between a good chocolate colored roux, and a burned roux. Almost a matter of seconds really. My roux could be slightly better if I made gumbo more often. But as it is, I only make it once a winter or so.
      I use this stuff to cheat a bit. I cant make a roux to save my life.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Latest work with Big Joe.

Comment

yum!
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Over the top chili is all the rage right now. I need to get a Dutch oven to try it out. The idea is you make a big ball or loaf out of the meat of your choosing. Then you take all your chili ingredients, and combine in a cast iron Dutch oven. Load the egg up with coal and wood of your choice. Plate setter feet up. Crumble up some foil in to balls, and use them to raise the Dutch oven up off of the plate setter. Place your wire rack on top of the Dutch oven. Place the meat on top of that. Smoke low and slow until the meat is done. Crumble in to pot, leave on egg to simmer for another hour or two.

The idea is the smoke will penetrate the meat better this way than if it was in the Dutch oven. And placing it above the Dutch oven also means the rendered fat will drop down in to the liquid and spice mixture, making it more flavorful.

Comment

I also brought home some Wagyu Denver cut steaks the other day that a customer was testing. They were phenomenal, did a reverse sear.

Comment

That's gonna require photos and a write up.

Comment

Reverse sear?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    Reverse sear?
                    Low temp (225-250) indirect until 120 internal. Pull steaks and rest, remove plate setter, diffuser or whatever the kamado Joe uses and crank the heat up. Steaks go back on a hot ass fire direct until desired temp.

Just the reverse order. It turns out a more tender steak IMO and gives more control over the Maillard reaction.

Here's the science behind it.

Comment

Low temp (225-250) indirect until 120 internal. Pull steaks and rest, remove plate setter, diffuser or whatever the kamado Joe uses and crank the heat up. Steaks go back on a hot ass fire direct until desired temp.

Just the reverse order. It turns out a more tender steak IMO and gives more control over the Maillard reaction.

Here's the science behind it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/f...ting-tips.html
                      That is interesting. I've been searing them off at about 600-700F and then fast cooking them the rest of the way around 450-500 steakhouse style.

Comment

^^^
                        That's kinda of what I do with my steaks, Infrared for one minute per side, two times, then one minute per side in direct flame/heat five times, so about a 7 minute ribeye comes out fucking on point.
                        Only Kosher salt, crushed black pepper and Lowery's seasoning.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                          That is interesting. I've been searing them off at about 600-700F and then fast cooking them the rest of the way around 450-500 steakhouse style.
                          That's how I had always done mine too, until I tried the reverse sear. If you think about it, it's how a lot of French restaurants and others who use sous vide do it. They sous vide all the steaks to 1 temp generally. They pull from the water bath to order, remove from bag, and sear to desired doneness. Give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oh, Henry! Lawry's on a steak is a felony!

Comment

I also brought home some Wagyu Denver cut steaks the other day that a customer was testing. They were phenomenal, did a reverse sear.
                            We have a local meat shop that raises their own cattle that are Wagyu crossbreeds, first place I had ever seen Denver cuts and they are damn good and a lot more reasonable than the other steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                              We have a local meat shop that raises their own cattle that are Wagyu crossbreeds, first place I had ever seen Denver cuts and they are damn good and a lot more reasonable than the other steaks.
                              I'm 95% certain these steaks came from that butcher. I brought them home from Midland.

Comment

I'm 95% certain these steaks came from that butcher. I brought them home from Midland.
                                Sounds like it, this is the place where I get mine. The owners family is one of the original Midland ranching families. Great guy to deal with and produces an excellent product if I you are willing to spend the money.

Midland Meat Co. has been owned and operated by the Scharbauer family for five generations in Texas, providing top quality meat to other Texans as well as restaurants around the United States.

Comment

Working...
                                X