Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Semi Auto Shotguns? Beretta 1301 Tactical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Semi Auto Shotguns? Beretta 1301 Tactical?

Because the other post got so fucked up I decided to start another one.

So I wanted to know what's so special with the Beretta 1301 Tactical compared to other semi auto shotguns? I've been wanting to get a Mossberg 930 but someone was mentioning that some of the plastic parts are the weak point. Price definitely seems friendly. Any downside to the Beretta?

The Mossberg is fine. I have one you can test out if you like. I was the one that mentioned the plastic parts. None of them have failed on me but they are critical parts and are fragile to my eyes.

I do not have any of the gas operated Beretta's but Beretta makes fan-fucking-tastic shotguns and I would not give a seconds thought about being able to trust it.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I seem to recall the Mossberg JM Pro and the Baretta 1301 were very closely priced. If that holds true, I'd probably swing for the Baretta. A price difference of $200 bucks would sway me towards the Mossberg

One review after a quick googles. No mention of plastic parts but still...
      For the aspiring 3-gun shooter, the market used to be pretty sparse for out of the box competition ready guns. Shooters looking for a new scattergun were basically forced to purchase a stock autoloader and then spend nearly the cost of the gun over to again on modifications and kit to extend the magazine, improve … Read More …

Comment

These are the parts of a 930 that concern me.

Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

No experience with the Beretta but tons with the Mossy. I have not found the ones I tried and have owned to be super reliable. Some were older but brand new and then some were well worn. All had feed problems at some point. We took several to a clay shoot two years in a row. We actually got good at tap, rack, and cycling to hit the second target before it hit the ground. Never looked into this as we never carried them in our squads (only pumps).

I tried a lot of semi autos over several years and built that Saiga. Just like I tell anyone looking to buy a magazine fed Shotty. Not a great delivery system. Shotgun shells were never meant to be stacked with any pressure on the tips. It deforms them and causes problems. I did figure out solutions but none were great.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

^^^^ I have had the same experience shooting Mossberg semi-autos as you have. To keep them going the guts either need to be wet with CLP or you can spray a bunch of Rem-Oil into the action once it gets gummed up. Depending on the powder used in the shells you can expect the gun to slow down after shooting 1 flat.

I even tried having the gas piston NP3 coated and it did not do what I expected. I should have removed the mag tube and had it coated at the same time but that will have to wait until I send the next batch of stuff to Robar.
            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-09-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
              No experience with the Beretta but tons with the Mossy. I have not found the ones I tried and have owned to be super reliable. Some were older but brand new and then some were well worn. All had feed problems at some point. We took several to a clay shoot two years in a row. We actually got good at tap, rack, and cycling to hit the second target before it hit the ground. Never looked into this as we never carried them in our squads (only pumps).

I tried a lot of semi autos over several years and built that Saiga. Just like I tell anyone looking to buy a magazine fed Shotty. Not a great delivery system. Shotgun shells were never meant to be stacked with any pressure on the tips. It deforms them and causes problems. I did figure out solutions but none were great.
              This is some of the feedback that I am needing. I've had my heart set on the Mossberg but this turns me off. I know Keith has one (or maybe two?) and I'd be curious to see what he has to say about it.

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              ^^^^ I have had the same experience shooting Mossberg semi-autos as you have. To keep them going the guts either need to be wet with CLP or you can spray a bunch of Rem-Oil into the action once it gets gummed up. Depending on the powder used in the shells you can expect the gun to slow down after shooting 1 flat.

I even tried having the gas piston NP3 coated and it did not do what I expected. I should have removed the mag tube and had it coated at the same time but that will have to wait until I send the next batch of stuff to Robar.
              Ugh! I'll have to do some reading up on the Beretta now. Good info, thanks.

On a side note, what all have you sent to Robar? I've been thinking about sending them my Glock 21 to get front cocking serrations milled into the slide and I've been thinking about getting it done up in NP3. What are your thoughts on the NP3 finishes especially for internal coatings?

Comment

The binelli m4 is the gold standard. I have a mk3 stoeger. Given current pricing the 1301 would be my pick.

Comment

I have a remmy 1100 tac II that once I found out what it likes to eat (read the instructions) it runs like a top.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                    On a side note, what all have you sent to Robar? I've been thinking about sending them my Glock 21 to get front cocking serrations milled into the slide and I've been thinking about getting it done up in NP3. What are your thoughts on the NP3 finishes especially for internal coatings?
                    I have used their coatings on so many things that it would be hard to mention them all so I will give you a few highlights.

I found a rough 586 that shot like a laser beam that I had refinished for looks. Trigger groups and bolt assemblies for at least 10 HK or HK contract rifles that I can think of. I had them do their entire "Thing" to an HK P7 and a few matching mags once. I had everything internal coated (after I went nuts on it with a dremel) on a Rem 1100lt 20ga special field that I bought as a gift for someone. The uppers and BCGs on a few AR15s and a few DPMS pattern AR10s. Call me crazy but back when a Makarov was a 60 dollar gun I went crazy working on one and cut the slide for some good sights and had it coated inside and out; I considered it money well spent. One of these days I am going to de-burr the guts of a really nice AK and send that in but I have a few cars to get knocked out before I can start on anymore gun projects.

In general two metal surfaces that are coated slide across each other very easily and gunk just wipes off with a damp rag. The coatings make for a buttery smooth action and I can say that I have never regretted spending the money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                      I have used their coatings on so many things that it would be hard to mention them all so I will give you a few highlights.

I found a rough 586 that shot like a laser beam that I had refinished for looks. Trigger groups and bolt assemblies for at least 10 HK or HK contract rifles that I can think of. I had them do their entire "Thing" to an HK P7 and a few matching mags once. I had everything internal coated (after I went nuts on it with a dremel) on a Rem 1100lt 20ga special field that I bought as a gift for someone. The uppers and BCGs on a few AR15s and a few DPMS pattern AR10s. Call me crazy but back when a Makarov was a 60 dollar gun I went crazy working on one and cut the slide for some good sights and had it coated inside and out; I considered it money well spent. One of these days I am going to de-burr the guts of a really nice AK and send that in but I have a few cars to get knocked out before I can start on anymore gun projects.

In general two metal surfaces that are coated slide across each other very easily and gunk just wipes off with a damp rag. The coatings make for a buttery smooth action and I can say that I have never regretted spending the money on it.
                      Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Comment

Earlier in this thread I kind of downplayed the quality of the mossberg 930. I recently found an aftermarket company that made products specifically for the Mossberg 930s and after installing their parts I have experienced zero failures in more than 2000 rounds fired. I don't think all the parts combined cost me a hundred and sixty bucks and I couldn't be happier now.

http://or3gun.com.

Comment

If it’s not fully semi-automatic it’s not shit.

Comment

It is fully semi-automatic, bigley so.

Comment

Had a 930, loved it, ran great never had an issue

Comment

Working...
                              X