Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we have any night vision EXPERTS in here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have any night vision EXPERTS in here??

I am looking to pick up a night vision optic of some sort. I have had the chance to play around with a couple of nice gen 3 pvs14 style units recently. I like to think that I like the good shit so I would think that I am after either a nice gen 3+ or gen 4 pvs14 style unit or a thermal optic.

thermal really looks nice to me but I haev never had a chance to play with one in person.

One thing that I don't know about night vision is that there are apparently several manufactures of tubes and that some of the units I see are advertised as "hand selected tubes" and I don't know what all that means.

My budget is in the 4-5k range and im looking for someone who is in the know to tell me what to look for on either option.
    Last edited by Shaggin Wagon; 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM.

I thought CJ posted something about 2 years ago or more. I know he has some experience with them. I have none. Post whatever u find out, as I’m interested as well.
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I don’t know much about either, but for me if that was my budget, I’d be looking at thermal.
      "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
      http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
      Factory Five MK4 Cobra
      Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
      http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
      www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
      sigpic

Comment

My corp owns exelis who makes high end nv and optics for military, idk if they have any public offerings though. I can ask some people on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          My corp owns exelis who makes high end nv and optics for military, idk if they have any public offerings though. I can ask some people on Monday.
          Own The Night sells high quality American Made night vision equipment. Products include night vision goggles, night vision monoculars, camera compatible systems, thermal cameras, weapon sights, helmets, helmet mounts and accessories.

Yeehaw!
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Ive been looking and reading all day so far and thermal is definitely the way to go. Problem is the one I like is 9k.

Comment

I need to check out their (our?) offerings, but i doubt we get any kind of discount.

Comment

Between standard night vision and thermal, thermal is the way to go.

If you go night vision anything less than Gen3 is pretty much a waste at a tactical level, especially at any sort of range.

Also, you usually will get the best results if you use a separate illuminator.

I don't have the available choo-choo money to get a nice setup, only to use it once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                  I need to check out their (our?) offerings, but i doubt we get any kind of discount.

https://www.gggaz.com/itt-pvs-14-night-vision.html
                  Solid deal!
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

When do we get gen 4 at more reasonable prices?
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                      I am looking to pick up a night vision optic of some sort. I have had the chance to play around with a couple of nice gen 3 pvs14 style units recently. I like to think that I like the good shit so I would think that I am after either a nice gen 3+ or gen 4 pvs14 style unit or a thermal optic.

thermal really looks nice to me but I haev never had a chance to play with one in person.

One thing that I don't know about night vision is that there are apparently several manufactures of tubes and that some of the units I see are advertised as "hand selected tubes" and I don't know what all that means.

My budget is in the 4-5k range and im looking for someone who is in the know to tell me what to look for on either option.
                      I may be wrong but I think CJ posted info about night vision gear in response to my inquiry about it.

Tubes are like diamonds in that each one is a little bit different. They have to be inspected for faults in the tube the same way you inspect a diamond. Typically military NV gear has a few spots in the tube that would not be accepted by a civilian that just payed retail for the optic.

I bought a few PVS-14s; one was US issue and the other was a commercial model. The commercial model is the better of the two but was several times more expensive.

I have since bought some thermal sights to replace the PVS-14s and would highly recommend thermal over anything else. If you go thermal get the ones with a 60hz rating and higher magnification.

Edit: FYI In regard to thermal sights you get what you pay for and there are not any cheap good ones. I would keep an eye on the THF for a used one. Quite a few guys there buy some seriously good gear and sell them every few years as better stuff becomes available.
                      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 04-08-2018, 12:17 PM.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Thermal imaging rifle scopes have been used with great effectiveness in military and tactical situations, and these scopes have also proven to be an advantageous… Continue Reading →

I have the ATN Thor. I highly recommend it and it’s in your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Those look very similar to the AN/PVS-15 that I used to use. Those things were badass!
                          Last edited by helosailor; 04-12-2018, 03:58 PM.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

After a shit ton of reading I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. Both of them are FU expensive. I guess I will keep saving, I could put what im not willing to throw cash at it on the plastic but im not going to do that.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/tat16...6x50-60hz.html

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijico...EOREAP-IRMS-35

From what I read that trijicon unit is the tits but everything they make pretty much is.

Comment

^^^^ The first one on your list is what I have along with the 4x32 version. I caught them slightly on sale from Brownells and hit them will a 10 percent off coupon when I placed the order. Brownells normally does the 10 percent off around the holidays and I wait to make my big ticket purchases then.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X