‘Daredevil’ Canceled By Netflix After 3 Seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Daredevil’ Canceled By Netflix After 3 Seasons

‘Daredevil’ Canceled By Netflix After 3 Seasons; Has Future In Other Marvel Projects

EXCLUSIVE:?The ax continues to fall on Marvel‘s series at Netflix. Daredevil, which launched the Marvel universe on the streaming platform, has been canceled after three seasons. The move comes on the heels of Netflix canceling Iron Fist and Luke Cage last month – but Daredevil seems to have an afterlife elsewhere. “Marvel’s Daredevil will not […]

Originally posted by deadline.com
    EXCLUSIVE: The ax continues to fall on Marvel’s series at Netflix. Daredevil, which launched the Marvel universe on the streaming platform, has been canceled after three seasons. The move comes on the heels of Netflix canceling Iron Fist and Luke Cage last month – but Daredevil seems to have an afterlife elsewhere.

“Marvel’s Daredevil will not return for a fourth season on Netflix,” the streamer said in a statement tonight to Deadline. “We are tremendously proud of the show’s last and final season and although it’s painful for the fans, we feel it best to close this chapter on a high note.””We’re thankful to our partners at Marvel, showrunner Erik Oleson, the show’s writers, stellar crew and incredible cast including Charlie Cox as Daredevil himself, and we’re grateful to the fans who have supported the show over the years,” Netflix added just a month after the third season of the series launched on the service.

However, the door seems to be wide open for the blind protector of NYC’s Hell’s Kitchen, perhaps on the upcoming Disney+ streaming platform.

“While the series on Netflix has ended, the three existing seasons will remain on the service for years to come, while the Daredevil character will live on in future projects for Marvel,”Netflix said also.

With The Defenders never intended to return and Iron Fist and Luke Cage dropped, the cancellation of Daredevil so soon after its highly anticipated and acclaimed third season was released, now leaves only two Marvel series on Netflix, Jessica Jones and The Punisher. Whether those “future projects means Cox’s Daredevil makes an appearance with his Defenders colleague or the Jon Bernthal led vigilante series remains to be seen. A Daredevil series on the planned Disney streaming platform or another movie could be an option too, though that the latter seems unlikely, we hear.

The era of Marvel TV on Netflix seems to be coming to an end at the same time Disney is revving up its own streaming service with already announced Loki and Scarlett Witch series for Disney+ coming from Marvel’s Kevin Feige led film division. For now, the upcoming new seasons of Jessica Jones and The Punisher are still currently scheduled to run on Netflix as planned, sources say.

Overall, the cancellation of the series starring Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio, who had been tweeting about a forth season in the past few weeks, shows just how strained relations between Netflix and the Jeph Loeb run Marvel TV have become. A far cry from when their multi-series deal was first announced back in 2013 with big smiles and almost bigger plans.

The current state of affairs became painfully evident when the SVOD player abruptly pulled the plug on a third season of Luke Cage last month. One week after Iron Fist was pink slipped, that October 19 cancellation of Harlem’s Hero came after the nearly half scripts had been written for a Season 3 and a formal renewal had been considered a foregone conclusion.

The fact is times have changed on the digital landscape and Marvel shows on Netflix are costly to make, even with New York’s generous tax credits, which had an extra clause added to accommodate the series. When the initial deal with Marvel/Disney was made by Netflix five years ago, the company, desperate to gain big draw content, laid out big bucks for the series – which it never owned. Now the situation is very different, which Netflix awash in new series and returning series that it holds the keys too.

In that context, Netflix and Marvel TV have also been arguing over the season orders and that may have played a role in Daredevil’s demise, as it did Luke Cage‘s. Being part of the first wave of Netflix original series, all Marvel series have produced 13-episode seasons. But Netflix has since switched to seasons of 10 episodes and has been pressuring Marvel TV to switch to fewer episodes, which the company had been resisting.

There also have been creative issues, with a revolving door of showrunners on Marvel’s Netflix shows. There have been new showrunners for every season of Daredevil, with Iron Fist for and Jessica Jones’ also undergoing a showrunner change.
    sigpic

That stinks. I just finished season 3. I thought it was pretty good and they had room to grow. Plus, the vampire chick is still hot.

Comment

You lost me at vampire chick.

I mean, my loins are still interested, but I don't know which person you're talking about.
      Last edited by CexMashean; 11-29-2018, 09:27 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

The red head. karen

Comment

This sucks....hope they are all get revised at some point.

Except Iron Fist. I've had shoelaces smarter than that character.
          Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Magnus, I know you have a large amount of disposable income, and you like to spend it on stupid shit... but if you subscribe to dinsey+ streaming, I'm going to punch you in the dick.

Comment

If it's not on netflix, or amazon prime (which I only have because of a prime shipping membership), I sail the high seas.

That goes for shit on regular cable/satellite tv too. Aint paying fo none dat.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                If it's not on netflix, or amazon prime (which I only have because of a prime shipping membership), I sail the high seas.

That goes for shit on regular cable/satellite tv too. Aint paying fo none dat.
                My nigga.

Comment

Netflix is starting to suck

Comment

Too many of these type of shows, I never really got into them.
                    But yeah, Netflix is starting to suck, and increased the price! Seems to have too many chick shows, and recommended shit in foreign languages.

Comment

im pissed. it was a good show

Comment

I read somewhere that this may because they are going to produce a Spiderman series. Yet, we still have Jessica Jones. Luke Cage was a better show. Daredevil has a huge fan following. There is a reason in there somewhere and I think it's due to some friction with Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                          im pissed. it was a good show
                          It really was the best of the bunch of the Netflix shows.

Check out Titans on DC Online. It's probably my favorite Comics based show since Smallville.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            Check out Titans on DC Online.
                            Seriously expected it to suck, but I'm liking it.

Once they introduced Doom Patrol I kind of became more interested in them than the main story.

I'd actually prefer a show about them, but I'm still liking Titans.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                              Seriously expected it to suck, but I'm liking it.

Once they introduced Doom Patrol I kind of became more interested in them than the main story.

I'd actually prefer a show about them, but I'm still liking Titans.
                              Doom Patrol is getting their own series as well next year along with Swamp Thing on DC Online.

Comment

Working...
                              X