Best gear ratio for 07 Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best gear ratio for 07 Jeep

What's best gear ratio for an 07 Jeep four door with 3.8, 4 speed auto, lift and 35s? My Dad uses it for a daily a pulls a small trailer occasionally. I was think 5.13

5.13 sounds right for that size tire and it being an auto.

Comment

PM Inline6, he seem quite knowledgeable on all things jeep.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

White88 is the master jeeper, for real.

Comment

5.13 is the absolute most you want to go with a D30 front axle and it fits 35's very well. If he has the Rubicon model he has D44 front and rear axles and while 5.13 is still a great option 5.38 is on the table at this point as well. With 5.13's and 35's my 08' feels good. I would have went 5.38 if I had the larger front axle though.

Comment

I ran 4.88's on 35's and it was perfect at all speeds. I wasn't aware you could fit a 5.13 in a Dana 30 axle. If so, how small is that ring gear and contact surface? I could barely slide a sheet of paper between my 4.88 ring gear and the housing.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

From what I've been reading online 5.13 is very weak and not good for off-roading. He will hardly take it off road and if he does it will be in the pasture or something like the jeep trails in Silverton Colorado. I'm gonna suggest the 4.88 but will let him make the final decision

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                I ran 4.88's on 35's and it was perfect at all speeds. I wasn't aware you could fit a 5.13 in a Dana 30 axle. If so, how small is that ring gear and contact surface? I could barely slide a sheet of paper between my 4.88 ring gear and the housing.
                You had a TJ though didnt you? I am not sure of the ratio differences in the trans between a TJ and a JK. Also there seemed to be plenty of room in the front axle. It was the rear that was a super tight tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by one slow 5.0 View Post
                  From what I've been reading online 5.13 is very weak and not good for off-roading. He will hardly take it off road and if he does it will be in the pasture or something like the jeep trails in Silverton Colorado. I'm gonna suggest the 4.88 but will let him make the final decision
                  It was the 5.38 that was offered for the D30 that proved to be too weak. You cant even find them for sale anymore as nobody runs them. Plenty of people running 5.13 in the D30 with no issues. For your fathers use I would definitely get 5.13.

Look at this chart..... 5.13 ratio and 35" tire puts you in a perfect range.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                    You had a TJ though didnt you? I am not sure of the ratio differences in the trans between a TJ and a JK. Also there seemed to be plenty of room in the front axle. It was the rear that was a super tight tolerance.
                    I have night terrors about that.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Is that the one you and Paul had fun with?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                        Is that the one you and Paul had fun with?
                        You mean using a hand grinder to clearance the outside edge of the ring gear?

Comment

YES! Always fun to mod parts like that, the things we do for fun/money...

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                            It was the 5.38 that was offered for the D30 that proved to be too weak. You cant even find them for sale anymore as nobody runs them. Plenty of people running 5.13 in the D30 with no issues. For your fathers use I would definitely get 5.13.

Look at this chart..... 5.13 ratio and 35" tire puts you in a perfect range.

[IMG]http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/attachment.php?

attachmentid=301323&d=1333921001[/IMG]
                            I sent him that exact chart when we first started talking about it. If the 5.13 is a strong gear he would rather have them. He pulls a small trailer to pick up hay and feed for the horses and occasionally a utv

Comment

Just pulling the trailer the rear will do all the work and that ratio in the D44 is no problem. It's not even an issue in the D30 unless you get into some aggressive stuff and are really heavy footed. To be fair that's any ratio in a D30 though. They aren't the strongest axle.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X