contracts for sub contractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contracts for sub contractors

We are attempting to GC our house build one more time. The first time we tried it I got a majority of the bids/quotes and even found a GC that would offer a consult level service for a much smaller fee. Unfortunately, life got in the way and long story short is that it was put on hold.

Fast forward to almost 2 years later and I'm going to try and get this going again one last time before I throw in the towel and hire a builder.

So is anyone familiar with this side of the sub contractor game? I've been told to have a contract drawn up that lists what is expected but I don't know what that would entail for each phase (concrete, plumbing, framing, etc). Does anyone know what the norm is? Does the sub provide the contract?

Paging Russell!

Following. I am looking seriously to building a larger garage at our house.

I contacted DFWImproved. They start talking with "around $100sqft for finished garage, no plumbing and 10ft walls" Out of your mind at 100 a foot. Planning on around 2,000sqft of garage, gym area, lounge and a small bathroom with shower.

I may have to do this in chunks myself. Find someone to do concrete, framing, exterior brick and roof. Then find someone to do electrical. Then insulate, drywall paint etc in segments.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Hell I was looking some company to do a back yard deck 18'x9'. Three companies came back between $5500 to $7000. What the hell is the wood made of.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
        Hell I was looking some company to do a back yard deck 18'x9'. Three companies came back between $5500 to $7000. What the hell is the wood made of.
        The majority of that price is the labor.

Comment

I forgot everyone here has several cow skin rugs. I'm trying to gc it so I can afford my own rug.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            I forgot everyone here has several cow skin rugs. I'm trying to gc it so I can afford my own rug.
            I recently read on garagejournal that subs charge an individual acting as his own GC 20-30% more than they charge a typical GC to make up for the lack of experience and mismanaged time with poor scheduling.

Good deals on a GC will cost you 10% of materials/labor of subs but save you more in the long run.

What I read of course.

I found a GC that's one of my neighbors in our hood to get my project off the ground myself.

Comment

If you need a good GC, we also have a good one in VA that has been easy to work with on some projects I've done.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                If you need a good GC, we also have a good one in VA that has been easy to work with on some projects I've done.
                VA?

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                  VA?
                  Van Alstyne - town we live in.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

yeah, send me his info. I'm wondering if I already spoke with him. I've spoken with a couple of local GC's but that was a couple years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X