Weedeaters and chainsaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weedeaters and chainsaws

So I sold off all my lawn equipment back in 2015 when I moved to the desert in Albuquerque so I'm starting from scratch now that I'm back in Dallas where rain falls and things are green. I picked up a nice Aluminum deck Toro walk behind mower last weekend on Craigslist that needed a tune-up for cheap and it works great now....but I still need a weedeater and probably a chainsaw for the trees at the place I'm moving into that's been neglected for a while. Based on my previous experience with Homelite, Poulan and similar cheap junk 2 stroke weedeaters and chainsaws that last about 2 years at best....that I want something a little more durable. Without breaking the bank...who makes the better...long lasting equipment? I'm thinking Stihl and Echo...anything else I should look at? I'll probably try to find something on Craigslist that's cheaper than the stores. I haven't heard much good about the 4 stroke models..and I want gas powered.....most likely 2 stroke...thoughts?

stihl fs40 and echo timberwolf here.

weedeater handed down when bro starting paying for service. I had a new carb put in but that's gotta be the only service it's had/needed in about a decade.

As far as the chainsaw goes I wanted something not too big and not too small. Timberwolf seemed like the perfect fit. Took down one tree in the front yard this past summer and have one more to go that's coming down hopefully in the next few weeks. No complaints. I feed it the name brand juice and turn it on every 3 months and she still starts up on the first try. Overall very happy with it

Comment

You can usually pick up a used Stihl weed eater off craigslist for $100 or so. FS90R is what I have.

As far as chainsaws, its hard to go wrong with Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna. My dad is still using a 20 year old FarmBoss Stihl. I bought a smaller arborist tree saw I really like.

Comment

I’ve had the most luck with Echo. I use echo at the house. I’ve bought every brand you can think of at work and echo seems to hold up the best on weed eaters and chain saws.

I agree on the small arborist chainsaw. You won’t need much bigger very often. And it’s easier to carry/maneuver.

Comment

Stihl- chainsaw
          Echo-everything else

Comment

I have a Stihl chainsaw. Forget which model but I can look. It's the standard 16" one, but I got it with an 18" bar. I already had an old Homelite in a 14" that works for pruning.

I have the Sithl Kombi system for weedeater. I won it in a raffle over a decade ago, and it runs great. I have the string trimmer attachment, the edger, the metal blade weed eater still for heavier cutting, and the blower too. All work great. During the time I've owned it, I have swapped the carb once and replaced the diaphraghm a few times (thank you ethanol). Not that I use sta-bil, I don't have any trouble. When it dies, I'll be replacing it with the newer model.

Comment

I have an echo srm-225 I’ve had for 3 years with easily over 200 hours on it and I’ve only had to do very minimal work to it (new throttle lever, a new speed feed head, and a new carb.
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                I have an echo srm-225 I’ve had for 3 years with easily over 200 hours on it and I’ve only had to do very minimal work to it (new throttle lever, a new speed feed head, and a new carb.
                After seeing the garbage SRM-225 and SRM-330's I've found on Craigslist and Facebook market I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy a new one at Home Depot rather than deal with the beat down leaking, oil covered, smoking used ones I've seen that people are asking NEW prices for.

Comment

Echo's line at Home Depot comes with a 5 year consumer warranty. Just be sure to save your receipt. I have a Echo leaf blower and it quit on me last year. It looks like it may be the ignition module or whatever provides spark to the plug. I was reading the booklet and it showed a list of parts where they just send the part as part of the warranty. Unfortunately I didn't have my receipt but I thought that was a decent warranty.

Comment

I won't buy anything but Stihl. I've got an FS56 weedeater, a farm boss chainsaw, a smaller stihl saw (can't remember model), and one of their big backpack blowers with the tank for spraying liquid and granules. All start on the first pull, time and time again.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

After a week of browsing a few pawn shops and Craigslist ads with the equipment being beat to shit, missing parts, leaking everything and just nasty...I stumbled on a Stihl FS70RC at a pawn shop like 1 mile from the house...in excellent condition and talked them down to $90 out the door AFTER testing it...cranked on the 1st pull and runs flawless.

Comment

It should serve you well. Nice find!

Comment

Stihl all the way! Do yourself a favor and run trufuel in all your small engines if you dont have Efree gas around you. 90 percent of the stuff you see on Craigslist that is extremely cheap because it doesn't run is either fuel lines have been ate up or they need a carb kit due to white death from ethanol setting up in the carb.

Comment

I have this one.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I broke down and bought a nice echo a few years ago, I always run nonethanol gas in it and hasn't let me down yet. I also really like the sting head that it came with, much easier to fill than previous ones I've had.

Comment

Working...
                              X