Fuel gauge issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel gauge issue

92 ford mustang with a auto meter mechanical fuel gauge, the issue is the gauge reads past the full line, the gauge is not a vertical gauge but a horizontal (dont know if that matters or not). Issue is ever since i got the car the gauge just flies all the way to the right waaaaay past the full marker and stays there, even when i know the tank is not full, i do see it move up and down a slight bit when i turn on the car but not anywhere it should be. I thought it was a grounding issue so i verified the grounding and even re-wired it (since i have a areomotive fuel system) and nothing. So next thing i just swapped the sending unit inside the tank and went to turn the key and same thing, i see it move but never even close to pass the full marker. Gauge is wired as instructed....and ideas anyone?? Ill try and post a picture of where the needle sits shortly

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Here is the gauge without the key turned

Comment

And this is with the key to the on position

Comment

I hope the link helps. I used to keep extra sending units and window switches
        just for buggers like this.

Guys, Yesterday-I hooked up an autometer aftermarket fuel gauge for my 91 LX vert. Yes-Its the correct gauge ATM-#4318. I ran all the wires and connected the sending unit wire to the Yellow/white tracer behind the cluster. It seems the Aftermarket gauge needle is buried on "F"...

Comment

Check your ground to the sending unit.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
            I hope the link helps. I used to keep extra sending units and window switches
            just for buggers like this.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ge-wtf.501696/
            Saw this post last night off the corral but i dont have a anti slosh module, these are all after market gauges and cluster, could that be the issue? Gonna go buy resisters today to see if it could be the gauge but its also brand new

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
              Check your ground to the sending unit.
              Let me try and find it.

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
                Let me try and find it.
                PITA, way up in there.. I would suspect loose at frame connection though, so thats easier.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  PITA, way up in there.. I would suspect loose at frame connection though, so thats easier.
                  Are you talking about at the dash itself? If so the ground is tapped in with the other gauges too, so if this one had a grounding issue wouldnt they all??

Comment

Here are the wires i tapped into for the ground and the sending unit

Comment

Im talking about the sending unit at the tank, it should be grounded. Whether that ground goes straight to chassis or straight to your gauge ground is fine. But the sending unit has to be grounded to work.

Comment

Down behind the driver's kick-panel, the rear
                        wiring harness is in a nice place to chop and splice.

I do not remember the color of the sending unit wire but,
                        that would be a great place to cut and temporarily jump
                        to your gauge.

Comment

Are you sure the sending unit is the correct resistance for your gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                            Are you sure the sending unit is the correct resistance for your gauge?
                            according to LRM
                            -1987-1997 Mustang Fuel Level Sending Unit Ohm Readings are approximately 22 ohms empty and approximately 145 ohms full.

and from Autometer
                            16 Ω Empty / 158 Ω Full

still tracing out the grounds.

Comment

I’d call down to florida5.0 and/or autometer. I’d bet it’s an issue with the sending unit too though. Did it ever work right?

Comment

Working...
                              X