No announcement yet.

Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks slow (OK, it had to be said!) ;-)

Damn, Jared, that looks like a beast! I'm trying not to spend any money on mine, but will get better tires in about a year, and maybe a beefier skid plate, the stock FX4 is as thick as a soda can.

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
      Looks slow (OK, it had to be said!) ;-)

Damn, Jared, that looks like a beast! I'm trying not to spend any money on mine, but will get better tires in about a year, and maybe a beefier skid plate, the stock FX4 is as thick as a soda can.
      I’ve got mods to make more power, but ya, with these giant tires and all of the extra weight, it’s not fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
        I’ve got mods to make more power, but ya, with these giant tires and all of the extra weight, it’s not fast.
        I dig it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Ended up not needing wheel bearings. Just a nasty vibration from shitty driveshaft angles. Thankfully, I put an adjustable carrier bearing drop bracket on the truck a few years ago, so it just took some dialing in to get it better.

Got the suspension where I want it. 42s mounted and balanced. Front limit straps are on the way and will be on soon. I also have custom 2" spacers on the way (hub and wheel centric), since these tires rub on my 4-link arms up front.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a set of rock sliders. In fact, it's gonna happen. It means ditching my AMP steps, which I absolutely love, but if I start tackling some of the gnarly sections I want, it's just a matter of time before I set it down on a boulder and ruin the steps anyway, along with my rocker panels. I've been trying to ride that line between "nice truck" and "trail rig" for a while, but it's getting time to make sacrifices in order to get more serious on the rocks.

Anyway, snapped a quick one today.

Looks awesome!

Got a new (used) transmission going in the Jeep Monday.. Will start seriously shopping for a 4runner next weekend.

Comment

• SO I was just looking at some winches, never knew they made them with rope, I've only ever seen steel cable. Any advantage/disadvantage to either?

Jose, they make a mounting bracket for F-150 so it is pretty hidden, the winch barely sticks out, changed my mind about maybe getting one now.

Saw this a few threads down! Googled a few parts on it, can be had for $300 or so.

Might be my only mod, I just cant imagine it needing anything else. Maybe a 2.5 level kit and a hair bigger tires but I doubt it. This was kind of an ass whoopin. I could do it again in a freaking hour but the instructions are terrible, my winch controller didn't exactly play well with their mount, and there were some

Comment

SO I was just looking at some winches, never knew they made them with rope, I've only ever seen steel cable. Any advantage/disadvantage to either?

Jose, they make a mounting bracket for F-150 so it is pretty hidden, the winch barely sticks out, changed my mind about maybe getting one now.

Saw this a few threads down! Googled a few parts on it, can be had for $300 or so.

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...5&postcount=14
              Rope is lighter, easier to work with, and safer than a steel cable. I have the Superwinch Talon 9500lb.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a set of rock sliders. In fact, it's gonna happen. It means ditching my AMP steps, which I absolutely love, but if I start tackling some of the gnarly sections I want, it's just a matter of time before I set it down on a boulder and ruin the steps anyway, along with my rocker panels. I've been trying to ride that line between "nice truck" and "trail rig" for a while, but it's getting time to make sacrifices in order to get more serious on the rocks.
                AMP has the XL version of the power step that has an integrated rock rail. I don't know how much protection it has compared to a traditional rail, but at least you get some protection and a power step.

Comment

• Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                  AMP has the XL version of the power step that has an integrated rock rail. I don't know how much protection it has compared to a traditional rail, but at least you get some protection and a power step.
                  I have them. No protection at all.

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                    I have them. No protection at all.

LOL, good to know. Good thing I'm not in sales.

Comment

SO I was just looking at some winches, never knew they made them with rope, I've only ever seen steel cable. Any advantage/disadvantage to either?

The 'rope' is better.. Much safer, lighter, etc. The only thing I have seen people say negative is that if they get a lot of debris in the weaving it can wear them out over time, but that would be with a lot of use. Definitely go with that if in your budget.

Also, the fairlead for the synthetic line isn't rollers and sits much more flush.

Comment

Synthetic line is all the rage these days. Is lighter, easier to handle, doesn’t have “memory”, and most importantly, it’s much safer. If the rope breaks, it just falls, and if it did hit something, it wouldn’t cause any damage. When steel line breaks, it can be very deadly, if there’s nothing draped over it to make it drop to the ground. It can take your head off.

That said, I still prefer steel. You have to respect it and take necessary precautions when using it, but where I wheel, there’s a good chance the line might come in contact with rocks, and that will chew up a synthetic line in a hurry. Any nick or fray, and it needs to be replaced. Also, with synthetic, you’re supposed to make sure to keep it clean, so if you use it in mud, sand or dirt, you’re supposed to clean it really well when you get home, because the grains can get in the rope and tear up the fibers and break it down. It’s also much more vulnerable to UV and shitty weather.

A cheap winch is better than no winch in a lot of situations, but a quality winch is the only way to go, in my book. It’s not something I would cheap out on, especially with a full size truck. Maybe on a trailer or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                          I’ve looked at those, but they would crumble on rocks. It’s really just about dropping the step further down, it seems. I like that mine tuck completely away.

Comment

• Thanks, Chili and Jared! Good info. It'll be a while before I get one, don't plan on going in too difficult of places, as I have zero experience right now. But fairly soon I will, and price isn't a worry, you get what you pay for in many cases.

But then again, these stock tires, maybe a winch sooner is a good idea! I'll probably get some K02 or Nitto's next year, something with better gripping ability off road for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              Looks awesome!

Got a new (used) transmission going in the Jeep Monday.. Will start seriously shopping for a 4runner next weekend.
                              4runner for a daily and JK for trail rig?

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

• Got the new whip back today with a few extra goodies at it.

Now I just need to break away some Saturdays to have fun.

David
                                Last edited by cobrajet69; 02-16-2019, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X