Weed/grass control for flower beds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed/grass control for flower beds?

I got the thickest of that black "plastic" weed barrier sheeting that Home Depot sells, and I've now got lots of grass, and a persistent vine that we have in the backyard growing straight though it. Is there a better option out there, or perhaps a pre or post treatment spray that will help keep the unwanted greenery to a minimum?

There are large beds of just mulch under the front trees, so nothing else growing, but the beds in the back are where my wife has been planting various annuals and permanent plants. So we need water to come though in the back, though not as much on the front, what are you using that works well?

I've never had luck with plastic...even the "highest end" shit they sell at big box hardware stores.

But he true commercial grade fabric has worked well for me.

Edit: spot treating with roundup helps as well if it's far enough from the desired plants. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roundup-...SABEgIkG_D_BwE

Comment

Run more mulch. a good thick 4" bed of mulch should really keep the grass from being able to grow. It still wont be perfect but it helps a lot

Comment

Pond plastic and plastic mulch FTW. I have a flowerbed in my back yard that stays perfect year round. All I have to do is fight off the grass that grows sideways into it. Oh and pots for whatever plants I want. No holes. Although my asshole adopted puppy likes to flip those over and pour potting soil into the flower bed. They will remain empty the rest of the year.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          Pond plastic and plastic mulch FTW. I have a flowerbed in my back yard that stays perfect year round. All I have to do is fight off the grass that grows sideways into it. Oh and pots for whatever plants I want. No holes. Although my asshole adopted puppy likes to flip those over and pour potting soil into the flower bed. They will remain empty the rest of the year.
          Do you not get horrible drainage issues with that? Most of the landscape fabrics and plastics are designed specifically to drain well to the soil underneath.

Comment

Either surgically spot spraying glyphosate trying not to touch other plants or manually pulling it. Be warned you might kill some shit u don’t want to on accident.
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Using Preen has helped a LOT! Doesn’t help with the grass, doesn’t help with nutsedge, but helps with most, if not all, broadleaf weeds.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Used Diesel oil

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Do you not get horrible drainage issues with that? Most of the landscape fabrics and plastics are designed specifically to drain well to the soil underneath.
                  I don't care about the soil underneath. I want it to be a dead wasteland. It drains into the yard where all of the rest of the water goes.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                    Used Diesel oil
                    And last years 2 stroke fuel for the cracks in the driveway!
                    "PSH!!!"

Comment

Problem with any landscape fabric even a high quality geo textile is the mulch you place on top. Eventually the mulch breaks down which forms rich organic conditions for weeds to develop on the top layer. Best bet stay on top of weeding or pay someone to do it.

Also after a year or so stir mulch with like a pitch fork to break up compaction of mulch so water actually gets to your plants. Keep mulch off bases of tree trunks an shrubs and for god sakes don’t bury your trees in 1’ of mulch in 4’ diameter like you see in commercial landscaping.

Mulching can be as detrimental as it is beneficial if done incorrectly.

Comment

Try Sethoxydim. It is safe for most ornamentals.

Comment

Working...
                        X