Back Surgery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
    I did not go into pain management or other primary care (chronic disease management) specialty for a reason...99% of these patients are the histrionic, woe-is-me types.
    Unfortunately, EMTALA says I have to see these patients when they come to the ER.
    I've met you and know you're in that 1%, but most of your chronic pain posts on here come across otherwise.

Has it occurred to you that sometimes people exaggerate because they haven't been taken seriously when they've needed relief in the past? That being said, I'm sure you've seen all kinds of crazy shit from people, but at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've seen all the bad shit from the patient side. The whole thing is beyond frustrating, you just basically can't win. I've been fairly fortunate all things considered, but it really drives me mad to see what others go through when just a bottle of pills could change their life, but their practitioner says no.

I'm having a pretty bad day today, too. Stabbing pain in my lower right rear flank. Shoulder blades are achy, neck is tight like normal. I think I slept a bit wrong last night, and the weather isn't helping either. Meds are barely even touching it. And I have to jump through hoops to get those meds. The only time I really notice the hydro any more is the morning, when it's been a long period since I've taken it(the hot tub in the AM helps as well, it's a combined effect). That, and when I suddenly realize I've got about two minutes before I better get to bed because I'm hardly able to keep my eyes open. Before that I was having a pretty good week, though I always start deteriorating towards early to mid afternoon.

Hell, knowing my history a bit while we're talking, do you have any advice aside from me needing to drop this sedentary weight I've put on? I don't want to put on too much because by default you'll have to start hating me!! This has been a good convo, feels good to talk about all this shit and get rid of some of my frustration about the medical field, even if we don't completely agree about everything.

Comment

Regardless whether you want to admit it, Eric, you have been suffering from depression since the divorce. Until you seriously address that, you will continue in the rut you're in.
      Start with swimming or cycling 3 times a week. Change your diet. Add in weight training (light weights) and progress from there. You'd be amazed at how much your back pains will improve if you strengthen your core muscles.

Comment

I think Eric is suffering from appetite suppression, he will stop at nothing to avoid feeling hungry

Comment

Regardless whether you want to admit it, Eric, you have been suffering from depression since the divorce. Until you seriously address that, you will continue in the rut you're in.
          Start with swimming or cycling 3 times a week. Change your diet. Add in weight training (light weights) and progress from there. You'd be amazed at how much your back pains will improve if you strengthen your core muscles.

It might surprise you, but pain aside, I'm in the middle of a Renaissance, and have been since last Spring. The last few months have been especially good. Things really started turning around after the Alaska Trip, and that was in August of 2012, right before I bought the house. I'm way better off now than I was even before getting engaged. Hell, I still even make more money!

Comment

listen to dr Dave. Everything except his football calls lol

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
              Not sure you're the authority to call anyone out on their football pics. If you carry the burden of your shitty picks, you're going to blow your back out.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post

We will see who pays whom later tonight.

Comment

We will see who pays whom later tonight.
                  Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    Not sure you're the authority to call anyone out on their football pics. If you carry the burden of your shitty picks, you're going to blow your back out.
                    I win more than I lose. What's your call on sugar bowl?

Comment

• Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                      I win more than I lose. What's your call on sugar bowl?
                      Whalabama by 15.

Comment

• Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                        I second the cycling comment. I started cycling after my surgery, and it helped me feel better than I had in years. It is low to zero impact and helps to strengthen your core.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• I always thought back pain was bullshit, until it happened to me. That shit is no joke. I'm glad I don't have a chronic problem. (Back or Dr. Dre)

Comment

• Originally posted by BradM View Post
                            I always thought back pain was bullshit, until it happened to me. That shit is no joke. I'm glad I don't have a chronic problem. (Back or Dr. Dre)
                            Vodka keeps you limber.

Comment

I always thought back pain was bullshit, until it happened to me. That shit is no joke. I'm glad I don't have a chronic problem. (Back or Dr. Dre)
                              Same here. I always thought people just whined about their backs. Back pain sux, and that is after one successful surgery. Don't get me started on the surgeon not wanting to really fix the long term issue, and insurance wanting to preapprove everything. What is the point of med school if a non-medical doofus at an insurance company can override them?

/rant.
                              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                              86 SVO - Sold
                              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I've had pain so bad I couldn't walk. went all the way down my leg. Take care of your lower back once it gets messed up its never the same

Comment

Working...
                                X