ATF wants suppressors deregulated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David View Post
    They really don't talk about silencers any. But in previous hearing a lot of talk about poaching.

Didn't think about that, but it seems so obvious. Yes poaching would have to spike.

Also... integrated suppressors? Do they ever go bad? Doesn't all that crap eventually get all clogged up in there? I know little of suppressors.
    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
      Didn't think about that, but it seems so obvious. Yes poaching would have to spike.

Also... integrated suppressors? Do they ever go bad? Doesn't all that crap eventually get all clogged up in there? I know little of suppressors.
      Most of that shit gets blown out by the next round. Things like .22 need to be cleaned and maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
        Most of that shit gets blown out by the next round. Things like .22 need to be cleaned and maintained.
        Are there huge differences in the way that a home made suppressor would be made, VS an "off the shelf" model? I'd imagine they use a much better process and materials.
        WH

Comment

Are there huge differences in the way that a home made suppressor would be made, VS an "off the shelf" model? I'd imagine they use a much better process and materials.
          The top dollar suppressors on the market use materials that are very hard to machine and many of them are welded using robot TIG welders that weld in a computer calculated pattern to minimize heat distortion. Building something like that at home would take a Da Vinci level of craftsmanship. I am personally a very, very good metal fabricator and I know that I could not make at any price what I can just go to the gun store and purchase for a very reasonable price.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Well, a suppressor works because it has chambers for the gas to expand in small sections instead of expanding all at once at the end of the barrel. You would have to have a pretty expensive machine shop to make something that worked as well as an "off the shelf" suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              Well, a suppressor works because it has chambers for the gas to expand in small sections instead of expanding all at once at the end of the barrel. You would have to have a pretty expensive machine shop to make something that worked as well as an "off the shelf" suppressor.
              You would be shocked at how well a simple tube stuffed with Chore Boy copper wool scrub pads works. Many old school cans used chore boy stuffing or sintered copper pucks. The ATF changed the rules about suppressors in the 80s that forced the industry to go with different designs.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I've got an oil filter adapter for cleaning my AR. I've never used it as a noise suppressor, I've heard that it kind of works, like a 30% noise reduction

Comment

a friend of mine made one of those diy ones from an old maglite. we shot a couple subsonic rounds out of it the other day and honestly I think my pellet gun is louder.

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                    I've got an oil filter adapter for cleaning my AR. I've never used it as a noise suppressor, I've heard that it kind of works, like a 30% noise reduction
                    Hickok45 on YouTube has a sweet video with an oil filter suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                      Hickok45 on YouTube has a sweet video with an oil filter suppressor.

https://youtu.be/7t_pcWPdSDs
                      Yeah its hard to tell from the videos how much it actually muffles the sound. From the videos I saw they said it works extremely well on .22 Cal

I think the adapter was like $8 on amazon, I just use it for cleaning for now

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        SBR's should be next on the list after supressors!
                        This!!!

Comment

July approvals are coming in now. 41f stuff should be hitting shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                            Yeah its hard to tell from the videos how much it actually muffles the sound. From the videos I saw they said it works extremely well on .22 Cal

I think the adapter was like $8 on amazon, I just use it for cleaning for now
                            It's just my opinion, but I think they're not worth having around without a stamp. You could technically go down for constructive intent if you had an oil filter on you that fit the adapter. The ATF raided a shop not too long ago for having solvent trap adapters on the shelf.

EDIT: It was SD Tactical for their DIY kits, after sending them a letter saying the kits were legal.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

My rifles that have integrated suppressors have threaded caps on the barrel so you can remove the baffles and clean them.
                              "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                              East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                              https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

Working...
                              X