Custom Door Panels for my '66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Door Panels for my '66

So I wanted something different. I wanted more production value than my worn out flat standard door panels. I love the dimensionality of the pony interior panels, but again, wanted something different that fit with my 2005 Acura RSX seats.

So I did this.

Used an old door panel as a template to cut some masonite the same size. I got the kind with a white board surface on one side, so hopefully that does a good job against water, not that this gets driven in the rain, but whatever.

CustomDoorPanel1

I also built some brackets to make sure the door-pulls were rock solid and actually pulled on the door, not just the panel. The cup is something I got from a Ford Escape in the local junk yard because it looked like the right shape and size.

CustomDoorPanel2

Since these photos were taken, I had the nut on the bottom welded on to be captive.

CustomDoorPanel3

I then spent A TON of time carving and shaping pink insulation board to get the shape I was after, which is similar to pony door panels, but different at the same time. One main goal was to make sure that some of that scallop/contour line was visible with the door closed.

CustomDoorPanel4

I used wood glue and hot glue where appropriate to stick things together.

CustomDoorPanel5

and coated everything with Killz primer.

CustomDoorPanel6

I upholstered the center section in perforated vinyl fabric to match the seats, and used this awesome "4-way stretch" black vinyl fabric for the rest of it. This is an instance where quality of materials made a huge difference. No craft store vinyl is going to work with those compound curves.

CustomDoorPanel7

CustomDoorPanel8

CustomDoorPanel9

What I've learned: This is hard! lol Not the easiest custom thing I've done to the interior for sure. It was faster and more simple to fill the radio hole and cover the dash in vinyl fabric. https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/m...t-s-place.html

This pink foam is sensitive! I already know it's not going to be as impact resistant as I would like, though several coats of that primer did give it some armor. Also, everything makes this foam melt. It was tricky to apply the cement necessary to stick the vinyl down without melting parts, and I still managed to do so a little bit.

V2.0 of this project will probably include some fiberglass mold making to land me with a more durable structure, but for now I'm very happy with the results.

That looks great!

Comment

Good job sir!! Looks great.

I really hate those clips used to pop them on the door. They can be a pita. If I ever go the custom route, I will use some new fasteners.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
        That looks great!
        Thanks!

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
        Good job sir!! Looks great.

I really hate those clips used to pop them on the door. They can be a pita. If I ever go the custom route, I will use some new fasteners.
        Man I feel you. I went with modern plastic christmas tree style clips on this. Much better.

Comment

I want to see it in person.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Looks badass, good job man!

Comment

Dude that is awesome! I'm trying to plan a door panel design for my old ride. But I want some real blingy shit, I think it will end up with some gold mylar.
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Noice.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I want to see it in person.
                  We can make that happen. I've been dying to go cruise this thing, but it was hot as hell yesterday. Driving back home about 8:00 was nice though. Maybe we could do some sort of evening cruise with the old junk.

Originally posted by silverranger View Post
                  Looks badass, good job man!
                  Thanks!

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  Dude that is awesome! I'm trying to plan a door panel design for my old ride. But I want some real blingy shit, I think it will end up with some gold mylar.
                  LOL, I'm sure it can be done, but sounds too fancy for my limited skills. I'm sure PG can handle it though.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  Noice.
                  Things Craizie hates: not my door panels

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                    We can make that happen. I've been dying to go cruise this thing, but it was hot as hell yesterday. Driving back home about 8:00 was nice though. Maybe we could do some sort of evening cruise with the old junk.
                    I've got spiderwebs on mine. I have a couple things that need attention to drive it, and everything else keeps getting in the way.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

very nice.. If you want some higher quality foam and stuff, check out :
                      Larry Dennis Company for all of your trimming, marine upholstery and furniture upholstery needs
                      Last edited by dcs13; 07-09-2018, 12:51 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        I've got spiderwebs on mine. I have a couple things that need attention to drive it, and everything else keeps getting in the way.
                        Yeah mine had been dormant for the past couple of months with any garage time devoted to covering the car in pink dust as I shaped these panels. All cleaned up now though. This SOB just keeps running great. I just need to finish up the A/C install, but nobody has thrown a free compressor, dryer and lines at me yet. So I'll just keep sweating. Maybe next summer.

Comment

How about a "it's too damned hot to drive this old junk" cruise to a watering hole on Saturday evening?
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                            How about a "it's too damned hot to drive this old junk" cruise to a watering hole on Saturday evening?
                            I'm down for that next weekend. Got my mom's memorial service/party this Saturday. It's been a rough couple of months.
                            Last edited by BLAKE; 07-09-2018, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Damn, looks great!

Surprised you didn't leave them pink tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X