Laptop/2 in 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop/2 in 1?

My current laptop is on its last leg, and I need to find a replacement. Nothing I do is super tech related, but I do deal with large quantities of data. I've been told the SSD are faster.

Need this one to last a few years, so my preference is to have higher definition screen, faster processor, etc.

Guide me.

I wouldn't get anything that doesn't use an ssd. I have a Lenovo Helix which is a touchscreen tablet with a laptop dock. The screen is pretty small but does do 1080p resolution and is extremely bright. I got it for free but they sell on Ebay all day long for around 400 bucks. Mine is a Core I5 with 4gb of ram, has wifi, bluetooth, front and rear webcam, 256gb SSD and runs Win 10 professional...its a fast little computer and is very compact.

Comment

If youre shopping for another laptop? you might consider that the typical 1TB 7200rpm hard drive could be easily upgraded at some point (large ssd expensive), but laptop motherboard/processors are not really feasibly upgraded. Some people go for the hybrid harddrives, more cost friendly. I like using the cpubenchmark website to compare the different computers for sale. And I'm liking i7 chips these days, they are outperforming the AMDs that are at the same price point. You should make a list of wants and needs and shop for a computer that has the needs. For me last time I shopped I wanted a laptop with an intel i7, 8G ram or more, lit keyboard, matte 17.3" touchscreen and an SSD. I wanted it all for $700. Since the c drive is easily upgraded I was flexible on that. I found a computer for the price, but I had to go without the matte screen and ssd. I paid 7 and ended up with beats audio (eh) and a fingerprint scanner....glossy screen gets on my nerves, but my computer hard drive is huge and the computer does everything instantly enough. My cpu benchmarked 6500. It was a good buy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's a link to some deals. http://www.techbargains.com/category...puters/laptops

I would just add a laptop that is less expensive may have good specs, but could have plastic-y feel to it and the keys may be overly loud, power supply connection more prone to getting wallowed out, etc.. Things that may bug you in the long run.
        WRX

Comment

Surface book

Comment

My Surface Pro 3 is the shit! No 4G, but I use my phone as a hot spot. I think the 4 has 4G.

Just don't break the screen. Lol
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

This is a helluva deal if you don't mind refurbished. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...01&ignorebbr=1

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                This is a helluva deal if you don't mind refurbished. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...01&ignorebbr=1
                That's not very travel-friendly.

@OP: What size screen do you prefer, and do you have a budget?

Comment

Lenovo Yoga 2, I wont go anywhere without it. Battery lasts 6 hours, Only comes with SSD, 8GB of memory can flip it and fold it into numerous configs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                    That's not very travel-friendly.

@OP: What size screen do you prefer, and do you have a budget?
                    Prefer a 15" screen. I'm wanting to stay under a grand.

Comment

For around a grand, you should be able to find something on sale that has a 6th gen Intel Core i7 processor and a 512GB SSD. Don't buy a laptop that has anything other than an SSD. My preferred brands for laptop in that price range, if you're not gaming, are Dell (Inspiron series, in this price point) and Acer. I know a lot of people who swear by Asus, as well, but Dell's extended warranty is amazing, and their customer support is second to none.

Comment

I ended up with an HP x360 Spectre 15.6" i7, 16mg ram, 4k screen, 256gb ssd, etc. It was open box, with extra discounts, so I ended up spending less than $700 on what had been nearly $1400.

Comment

Working...
                        X